Musings on 10 years with an 80 AND Pinging Problem Solved! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

I thought that I would make a few comments about owning and driving my '96 FZJ80, currently with 171k on the ticker. I bought it in Syracuse NY in November of '95, or--more pricisely--leased it, and traded in my '93 FZ, which I had owned for 3 years and 69k.

This truck has not been inexpensive to own. The sticker was over $48k with the 3rd seat, leather option and the must-have diff locks. I actually ordered the truck to my specifications, and waited awhile to get it. I have no regrets about the price. Most things don't break. Speaking of which, in it's lifespan thusfar, here is what has failed: one of the sunroof cables, and the rear diff lock (probably from lack of use: too much atttendance at the mall parking lot), y pipe off the exhaust manifold (weld at the crotch...oh those rust belt winters), starter.

I have used Amsoil religiously since break-in. I broke it in a NY winter, so I installed a block heater as soon as I got it home to keep it warm for those initial start-ups. On the cost issue, the gas mileage is not something us Cruiser owners brag about. In fact, I have done my share of keeping oil futures traders in fresh S-series sedans....as if they needed the help...something like twelve thousand gallons have passed through the pumps I've attended.

Between the 2 80's, we've seen 45 US states...my apologies to North Dakota, Hawaii, Alaska, Mississippi, and Alabama....we're working on it...(will only go to ND under protest in the winter, btw).

Accessories added along the way: ARB front bumper with knock-off sidebars, yellow top Optima battery, Borla exhaust, custom s/s y pipe (didn't want to pay the $1300 for oem with the first cat connected; preferred 304 to the mild steel), OME springs and shocks--stiff but handle well...stock height ones, Wrangler Products quick-connect jumper cable set up, Amsoil remote full-flow/bypass filter set up with Canton Mecca full-flow filter, plumbed with Earl's. Planning on getting the cup holder which Toyota forgot...

I'm in the construction industry, so the Cruiser got stuffed full of power tools right off the showroom floor. Didn't seem to bother her any. People did wonder what substance I may have been partaking of...can't claim anything other than good American microbrewed beer...and nowadays some very good California red wines...(when in Rome!)

Onto the pinging issue solved: I have been burning mid-grade for a few years now to tame the transitional pinging problem suffered . I have kept the ignition system in fresh parts religiously, used Amsoil's fuel additive without fail, had injectors 'cleaned' by the dealer, and other carbon cleaning procedures. Nothing solved the problem. It was the light-load-letting-off or applying-throttle variety. Probably not lethal in any way, but enough to set my teeth on edge and generally ruin my driving experience. Anyway, I finally had my fuel filter changed (after 150k), and used that good Red Line fuel system cleaner at full dose for 3 tankfuls in a row, and flushed the engine with Amsoil's engine flush. NO MORE PINGING AT ALL.....almost too good to be true....a kid in front of his overloaded stocking on Christmas morning....yippee...free at last, free at last. Must have been a carbon problem. I did the flush and changed the oil. The Canton Mecca filter is a cartridge type. The black stuff that I saw stopped there was unlike anything I have ever seen there before. I have huge respect for Red Line after this especially....pretty darn cheap medicine!!

I have probably ranted enough at this point. Thank you guys for participating in a great forum, especially you veterans who answer questions from dummies like me without missing a beat, and share the wisdom which you have obtained with sweat and blood and dollars!!

John

John,
It seems that you attribute most of the credit to the Red Line fuel treatment for stopping the pinging. Is this correct?

If that's true, then do you think the Amsoil engine flush is of any benefit?

-B-

Last edited:
Hi John- great post which was a pleasure to read! I was about to post my experience with the exact same pinging condition. From your post, it seems like you tried a bunch of things at once (engine flush, red line fuel system treatment, new fuel filter) so it is hard to say which one did the trick, or if it was the combo. Well, I had the same pinging you mention , and I tried the following:

1. One bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner (treats 20 gallons)
Result: No change

One tank of gas in between, and then:

2. One bottle of RedLine Fuel System Cleaner in 1/2 tank of gas
Result: No more pinging near the end of that tank of gas, and have been through approx. 7 full tanks of gas since with no pinging.

Not sure if the Chevron partially helped things, but the Redline seemed to do it for me.

Clarifications

Guys,

Thanks for the comments and questions. I didn't explain in very good detail about the procedure I used and the reason that I think the Red Line product is so good...

A couple of years ago, I had the injectors cleaned; previous to that, and not too far back in time, I did the MOC vacu flush decarbonization treatment (also by the dealer). If memory serves, this combination may have had a very small benefit in terms of smoothness. Anyway, I didn't mention that I was also suffering from the often-discussed rough idle problem. That is to say, at low idle, the motor seemed to skip or stumble slightly. Also, I should mention that I have used Amsoil's Performance Improver gas additive in every tank since the truck was new, and have supplemented that with many doses at the 'clean-up' strength. I assumed that, given all I just mentioned, the fuel system shouldn't be an issue...However, because of posts on this site by members who really seemed to like the Red Line product, I thought I would give it a try. I actually am on the 3rd dose at full strength...

Now, in the present, I just changed my fuel filter. I noticed that the rough idle was slilghtly better and the pinging sllightly less. Hmmm, maybe there is something to this fuel system issue after all...so I ordered several bottles of the red stuff. I used one dose at full strength...definiite further improvement in both conditions. If one is good....I did another dose, with continued improvement....then I began a third. About halfway through the third dose, and still with a little pinging evident, I removed my full-flow oil filter and installed a new one to perform the engine flush. As I mentioned earlier, I saw a coagulation of black crud at the filter which I could only assume was carbon that had been removed by the Red Line. Anyway, I proceeded with the engine flush (which is done by adding the stuff to the oil and letting the engine idle for 20 minutes). At the end, I changed the full flow and bypass filters and installed fresh oil. After this, the pinging is gone completely. There was a fair amount of black color in the oil that I had just flushed with as well, although that could possibly be attributed to the chemical composition of the engine oil/engine flush mixture. So, my conclusions are as follows: Red Line rocks! Amsoil makes great oil, but the PI is now suspect in my book. I think a good flush of the oil system might be in order every 50k. I will probably continue using the 'maintenance' dosage of the Red Line additive...

John

When you fellas are saying you had the injectors "cleaned", are you talking about where you go to the dealership and they hook up their fancy machine and "clean" them and charge you an arm and a leg, or, are you talking about pulling the injectors out, taking them in to a shop, having them ultrasonically cleaned and flow tested and then, re-installing them?

The former isn't all that they advertise. The latter is the real article.

Upon buying my FZJ at 110k, I did a full tune up (plugs, cap, rotor, ign. wires, all the filters, set the timing) then ran some of the Chevron cleaner through the fuel system and also use some Lubromoly Engine Oil Sludge Remover through the motor. The truck ran pretty darned well and no pinging ever. I also run only premium gas from brand name stations.

Later on, at 147k, I pulled the injectors and had them ultrasonically cleaned and flow tested. That made a significant difference. I also ran some BG 44K through it at that time and have used the Red Line Fuel Syetem Cleaner every 3K since then. The truck purrs like a kitten. Smooth as silk. FYI, the Bimmer and Porsche crowd really like the Red Line products, and I can't deny they are good. I have run Red Line gear lube in my 5-series for seven years now and with 125k on the clock, the tranny and rear diff are in great shape. RL Fuel System Cleaner on it at regular intervals too. When I pulled the the intake on it, the valves where clean as a whistle.

Sorry, I can't speak to the pinging, never had it, but I can offer the above.

YMMV

R.

Crosslink said:
Guys,
Onto the pinging issue solved: ..... It was the light-load-letting-off or applying-throttle variety.....
John

Trying to figure out what noise you could have, that would sound like a ping, happen when you let off the throttle and be solved by higher octane and/or a flush?:confused:

May have to start the Red line as PM:) Any comments on how it compares with SeaFoam?

Guys,

No comments on Sea Foam as I have no experience with it. Sounds like a hassle to use, though. What I meant by having my injectors cleaned was the lame method of running some sort of fluid through them while in the motor. I have not yet removed them as many have discussed on this forum. Probably sometime in the next 10k....

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom