custom cruiser trailer project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys, I've been thinking about making a camping / off road trailer out of the back end of a 40 i have in the driveway. My thought was to cut it accross from the rear of the drivers/ passengers door frames using the back quarter as the trailer. Also thinking I'd like to incorperate secondary fuel and water storage, compartments for tools, coolers, and ...
I know I've seen a trailer like this once before but can't find it now. Anyone out there have pictures or sugestions for such a creation? Thanks

Oh, and before anyone freeks out about the idea of chop'in a cruiser. I forgot to mention that the tub is slightly tweeked, wheel wells already cut form prev. owner, has the standard rust issues and is mostly stripped.

All I can say is, you must figure out a way to use the bib to close the front of it. Or put the bezel on the rear. Post up your progress!

GL

Ed

I don't have an extra bezel but I like the idea keep em coming. Thanks

E-mail Cruiseroutfit. His trailer is one of the best I've seen:

trailtrailer.jpe

Yeah that is cool. The bib and bezel ideas are pretty cool too.

I'd think that a short bed of a 45 would be way cool too. You'd have the hooks and the tail-gate and it's basically already the right size.

Yeah man, tear into it and let's see how it werks out.

HawkDriver said:
I'd think that a short bed of a 45 would be way cool too. You'd have the hooks and the tail-gate and ...

You would need a LWB bed to get the hooks.... ;)

Very nice trailer Curt....

I cannot imagine towing that on some of the tight trails I have pulled my M416 through around here however..

:beer:

would be pretty slick if you kept it long enough to sleep in at night...

Shipwreck, Thanks for the Pic. Thats exactly what I had in mind. I'd like to do a clam shell style tent on top so I can keep it on the shorter/ lighter side of things. I'm getting Jazzed on the idea and will defanetly be talking with Cruiseroutfiters about it. Plenty of pictures will be taken as soon as I get under way. a 45 bed would be realy cool but I also need to keep the project cheep as possible which means I'll have to use what I have and built on it. Any thoughts on what to use for an axel? Thanks for all the positive words. Cheers

cosmo said:
Any thoughts on what to use for an axel? Thanks for all the positive words. Cheers

I'd just weld some plates to a piece of tubing and drill them to accept Cruiser spindles/hubs. Keep your trail spares consistant as well as your wheels.

What about the title, do I need it or will dmv asign a new one for it's new intended use?

The trailer I made was similar to the one pictured. Only differences I can see is mine had a lunette eye for a pintle hook. I sold it before I was fully completed. I was going to run a hardtop with the partial fiberglass top.

For an axle: use an early FJ40/55 front hub and spindle bolted to a piece of 3-4" pipe. Surely you have these early spindles and hubs lying around or ask around. Make your axle as wide as your towing rig for best results in off road situation. You can also go to a trailer shop and have an axle made. It's usually around a $100.

Titling is easy. Go to your DMV and say that it is a home made trailer. They usually want to know weights and dimensions. They should assign you a new VIN for the trailer. Very easy, done it a few times. Usually costs about $20 and $15 to renew every year.

Good luck. I am wanting to do the same with a 40 that I have. Now, to just find the time.

Here's another 40 trailer for ya.

Last edited:
Kurt from Cruiseroutfitters posted up a long string of buildup pictures of the blue trailer of his. Try the search, I think it was in the Outfitting section.

Hodag

Thanks for all the help guys. Nice work.You guys have some sweet set up's. This should give me plenty to go off of. I'll post Pic.'s as soon as it gets under way. Till then keep the pictures flow'in if you come acress something cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom