Locking Hubs...Aisin (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will the later Aisin Locking hubs fit my '77 axle with stock Birfs?

Tanks,

Ed

Ed, where did u get the aisin hubs; thinking abut conferting.

for some reason, i think you need the later axles. i remember a post a few months ago about the hubs that came/were dealer installed on them, which morphed into what hubs fit what axles and such.

IIRC the Aisin hubs fit '79 and up FJ40/55, 60/62 and solid axle mini's. But isnt the birf from one of these an upgrade for earlier Cruisers and easy to swap? Just a little grinding on the housing right?

ASIN's require the shorter outer axle, which is found on the 79 and newer Birf

Now that's what I'm talking about. I think both the 76-78 and the 79> are 30 spline axles, but its the length that is the dealbreaker. OK.

Thanks Tex

Ed

just to make sure your clear its not the axle but the length of the birfield. the 79 and newer is shorter then the older birfieild. the axle shafts are the same length.

sorry just wanted to make sure we were clear OK

lone gunman said:
just to make sure your clear its not the axle but the length of the birfield. the 79 and newer is shorter then the older birfieild. the axle shafts are the same length.

sorry just wanted to make sure we were clear OK

OK, now I'm not clear. I know the '79> Birfield "Bells" are larger than the '76-'78's, but if what you are saying is true, as to the lengths being the same, then I should be able to use the Aisin Hubs from a Mini Truck on my '77 stock axle.

I'm Cornfused.

Ed

Degnol said:
OK, now I'm not clear. I know the '79> Birfield "Bells" are larger than the '76-'78's, but if what you are saying is true, as to the lengths being the same, then I should be able to use the Aisin Hubs from a Mini Truck on my '77 stock axle.

I'm Cornfused.

Ed

no

1979 and after birfields are fine spline and have a slightly larger Bell and a slightly SHORTER STUB AXLE on the birf.

a 1976-1978 birf is fine spline, have the smaller bell, and a longer stub axle than the 1979.

so you have to use the 1979+ birfs with asin hubs

the INNER AXLES are the same.

bad has it correct....the 76-78 birfs are ~3/8" longer than the 79+ and ALL aftermarket, and that 3/8" wants to shove thru the face of the Aisin lockouts...impossible to install.

There "may" have been Aisins available for the 76-78 model years, designed for the longer birfs, but I've only seen Warn's out there.

Inners are identical from ~1968+ on all FJ40/55's.

Ihave a 76 axle with asco/aisin hubs and 76 style birfs

phishtaco said:
Ihave a 76 axle with asco/aisin hubs and 76 style birfs

Phish, are you sure the Birfs have not been changed out? From the above info it almost seems like they have to have been changed.
On the other hand, if you know what the Aisin hubs came off of, maybe it is possible with certain styles.

Ed

I'm I 100% sure? NO, I've never actually taken the birf out. Some 76/77 axles were equipped with Asco/Aisin hubs, for some reason I remeber it being FJ55 hubs. From what I understand, they are ~3/8" deeper and you must run a fender waser on the end of a minitruck birf to make them fit. For what it's worth I did talk to Jim C about this when he was working on my 40.

The 75+ fine spline birfs 55's came with asin lockouts stock. 40's had driveplates with dealer installed warn or selectro's. Here is a pic of the 76-78 aisin and the 79+ on the right.
111_1197.JPG

Hey that's great!. Can you give me a height measurement for the one second from the right?

Thanks!

Ed

Here is the bastard Asin that I had heard but never seen.........I do know the standard Asins I have handled won't fit, swap over to the god Birfs and be done.

I would, but I just put it back together with the 76-78 Birfs (against everyones advice).

I...am....a....dumb$hit.

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom