62 center console options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
OK so I have been noticing how much my OE console in my 62 blows, I remember a few weeks ago I saw a thread about either CCOT or Tuffy consoles for 60’s (I even liked Jon Rutherford’s 20mm ammo can he has on his website) I though this is great! I can just swap in a new, more useable, locking console in my rig.

At which point my wife, in the middle vetoing the expense, says “will this new console have heat like the one does now?”

I thought “sh*t, she’s right”

So how do I/can I cap the hoses that appear to run to the console from the engine to supply heat (under the cruiser) So that I can bolt in a new console?

With most aftm consoles you make or buy a bracket that allows the new console to sit above the heater hoses and stay level. If you want to cap the hoses you can just add a hose under the truck and go pip to pipe or do it at the firewall.

62 heater is under the console, its gonna take some creativity to make a Tuffy work without loosing the heater, me.......I'd loose the heater

I made mine from wood it looks pretty sweet plus it only cost me about $30. You can make it as big and tall as you want!

id go for the tuffy. just build some brackets from perferated small angle-iron ( sears, home depot)
to span the hoses.
I bought my tuffy from JT Outfitters for 75 bucks, it was a return from a customer who didnt like the drippy paint jod from the factory, otherwise, it was brand new.
also, get a peice of rubber stair tread for the inside, otherwise it sounds like a toolbox everytime you hit a bump.
hammer
gas in NJ today...$3.55 for reg.

Tuffy is the way to go!!

Hey man,
You will love the tuffy center console. I second what dd113 said. I removed the heater under the stock console and under the body, removed one of the rubber hoses going to the heater. Then used the remaining hose to connect the two pipes for the collant. So it just circles back to itself. Keep in mind once you do this you will loose some collant, so use a few vise-grips/c-clamps and pieces of wood to clamp off the hoses so you will not loose tons of collant. This worked great for me. I had to drill new holes for the mounting bolts and basically just bolted it to the body. The tuffy I ordered was the more narrow on so I could mount my CB on the inside close to my right side and the area for the CD player I turned it into a switch-board for my fog light switches, so they are hidden. Works great!!! I also mounted my rechargeable flashlight and fire extingusher on the back side of the console. Hope this helps man. Good luck on coming up w/ ideas.
Sebo4wd

The heater's not even part of the console, just concealed by it :D

I have a Tuffy in my 62 and love it. Mounted perfectly on top of the heater and is at the perfect height to make a great armrest. Sure they're expensive, but they're VERY worth it. Gimme a few and I'll post some pics that I took after I installed it...

A few pics.

Tuffy-Rear.jpg

From the rear. You can see how it's mounted to the heater assembly (nevermind the bullet hole decal :D ). I used the factory bolts and just drilled through the floor sheet of the Tuffy. It was a bitch to measure just right, so I recommend using a carboard template first so you can get the holes just right when you drill it. There's a bracket for a single screw that supports the front of the factory console, and I was able to use a large tooth sheet metal bolt to secure the front of the Tuffy to that.

Tuffy-ShifterClearance.jpg

My only real problem with installing the console was clearing the shifter. I solved this easily enough by just rotating the handle on the shifter. I actually prefer it this way anyway, so it was a win-win situation.

Tuffy-ShifterClearance2.jpg

Another shifter clearance pic. You can also see that I had to move the cupholder over an inch and a half (I think that was what it turned out to be). No way in hell was I going to give up the cup holder! That was my primary reason for buying the console!

any way you can get a under the passenger seat heater out of a 60 and swap it?

Fred

Just do it like this and you don't even have to turn the handle on the shifter. Do it right the first time and you won't ever have to worry about it again.

i wouldn't be able to reach my drink??? i have seat all the way forward and could go further if there was more room

DBS311 said:
Just do it like this and you don't even have to turn the handle on the shifter. Do it right the first time and you won't ever have to worry about it again.

The diffreence here is that you have the 10" and I have the 12" :D

Moving it to the side wasn't an option for me. And with the new front seats being so wide, I really have zero options for positioning. I was just lucky that it lined up perfectly with the heater.

Even if mine was 12" I would still be able to keep the shift handle in the stock location. I just set my console a little back to make sure that the handle wouldn't interfere. For a drink holder on the front, it will just be a little offset.

Might trade the rear under-seat heater from my '84 60 for a good 62 style.

DBS311 said:
Even if mine was 12" I would still be able to keep the shift handle in the stock location. I just set my console a little back to make sure that the handle wouldn't interfere. For a drink holder on the front, it will just be a little offset.

I don't see how that would work. My console is mounted as far back as I could possibly get it without interfering with the rear heater lever. There's about a quarter inch between the console and the lever, and even if I took that up, it still wouldn't allow enough clearance for me to retain the stock positioning of the shifter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom