Newbie Dumb Rotor Question??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.stlca.org
I know this is stupid question, but I was wondering how hard it is to replace my rotors on the front of my 1990 fj62? The previous owner replaced a lot of the brake parts but let me know that I needed front rotors. I am by far no master mechanic but feel pretty confident in attacking a new task. Is there anywhere that has detailed instrcutions? I didn't see anything under the tech links section. Thanks in advance!

Please use ONLY Toyota lug bolts when putting them thru the new rotor...ask me how I know. :mad:

Nice crack...
47b5d907b3127cce935ea68aa4d900000016108AbMmLdk0YuV

meluhha said:
Please use ONLY Toyota lug bolts when putting them thru the new rotor...ask me how I know. :mad:

Nice crack...
47b5d907b3127cce935ea68aa4d900000016108AbMmLdk0YuV

HOLY CRAP!

Mind telling us the story behind that (what lugs you tried to use and how you were trying to press them in)?

Spook50 said:
HOLY CRAP!

Mind telling us the story behind that (what lugs you tried to use and how you were trying to press them in)?

Okay...this may take a bit of explaining. :doh:

A friend and I decided to tackle this laborious job on a Sunday (1st mistake—dealership is closed). Everything went well for a while, some fun was had with those pesky bolt-shim things that hold the hub on (PITA...use a copper hammer), and so we began with the fitting of the caliper and rotors. The caliper went on without much problem.

When it came time for the rotors we had to run to Pep Boys (2nd mistake) for some new lug bolts, since you have to force the old ones out of the hub and rotor (that's normal). Apparently these lug bolts (we made sure from the counter guy that they were the right ones) are slightly bigger (wider) than stock Toyota lug bolts. Bummer. We found out the hard way when we attempted to put them through the new rotor and hub (used a hydraulic press). After getting them all in the first rotor we took a nice hard look at the rotor and lo and behold found the large crack from the image above.

Well, needless to say I was :censor: mad! I immediately blammed it on the rotor. Cursing DBA and my luck. I was wrong about the rotor. I called MAF to tell them of my defective rotor and who answers the phone but ol' Steve-o! He does everything in his power to right the situation and I was very pleased with the customer service (still hoping to get the best Aussie Sliders from the pick... ;)

Anyway, I still didn't know it was the lug bolts that had caused the problem. So I still had one complete rotor and six more new (Pep Boys) lug bolts! Luck was with me as the next day I went to my Toy dealer and got six factory bolts from them (cheaper than Pep Boys). I was going to have them go ahead and install the hub on the rotor (cause I thought I screwed it up the first time), but when he quoted me $120 for one I grabbed that rotor and got the :censor: out of there. Took it to Sears and the service guy (using Toy's lug bolts) installed them for free!!! :cheers: All he did was use his fancy air tools (Note to self: must get compressor) and pulled them thru with the lug nut! It was so easy, I wanted to scream!!!

When the other rotor came in from MAF I still had those six bolts from Pep Boys sitting around (still not knowing they were the culprit). I took them to a local muffler shop and had the guy do the same thing as Sears did!!! WTF?!?!?!? He had one hell of a time getting them in (i.e. air hammer, sledge hammer, etc.) I pretty much had to stop him (on the 3rd one) before he busted my new rotor like the old one!!! He swore up and down that it should have gone in by now...I trust him. So this got me thinking...what is the only similarity between the two.

Hmmmm...

Still thinking...

DAMN :censor: LUG BOLTS FROM PEP BOYS!!!!!!!!!!

Sure enough, the next day I bought six new lug bolts from Toy and they went in all six holes like a hooker at the end of her shift!!! ( :doh: ) Man I was peeved.

So that's my story and sorry for it being soooo long. It has been good to get it off my chest!!

Cheers,
Matt

meluhha said:
Okay...this may take a bit of explaining. :doh: (skip a bit)...
Cheers,
Matt

Note to self: Get lug bolts from Toyota! Think installing them with a hammer and brass drift would work also, or maybe too much stress on the center of the rotor?

Spook50 said:
Note to self: Get lug bolts from Toyota! Think installing them with a hammer and brass drift would work also, or maybe too much stress on the center of the rotor?

I think that would work fine...just support the hub as best as you can. You'll have to force them, however, if you have to bust out the sledge hammer than it may be time to step back and try another route!!

:beer:

meluhha said:
I think that would work fine...just support the hub as best as you can. You'll have to force them, however, if you have to bust out the sledge hammer than it may be time to step back and try another route!!

:beer:

Yeah I figure a plastic mallet and brass drift should be the hardest I go :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom