Coolant temperature measurements - some numbers! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
OK, as described in my other post "Real time temperature measurements...", I put a thermocouple on to measure my coolant temps. Here are some numbers for comparison if you are interested. Those of you who have a wet probe system, or are connected to OBD, I'd love to read some of your numbers to gauge where I'm at.

Outside temperature: about 75F, 50% humidity (guessing) (around 10pm, nice and comfy!)
A/C on.

Original -I think- 97 radiator with 50% Toy red. New thermostat. Fan clutch seems to be OK and no HG bubbles to be seen...

Started to idle the engine from cold.
After about 15 mins, the thermostat opened when my coolant gauge (located at the exit of the head) was at about 172F or so. The FSM says it should open/close between 176 and 183, so pretty close.
Another few minutes, say after 20 mins total and the temp was about stabilized at 185F or so (700 rpm idle). I imagine this means that the thermostat was not fully open and the temp had reached an equilibrium.

Then went driving. I climbed a little mountain with a reasonable slope (about 2000 ft elevation gain in about 5 miles, 6% max or so IIRC. I drove it up at about 50 mph at around 2000 rpm. The temperature climbed in a few minutes to around 200F but never went above 205F.

Then I coasted down, the temp dropped back to 185F or so again, where I imagine the thermostat started to close partially again.

Drove around a bit on flat. At the bottom of the mountain, I let it idle right after that and it stabilized around 194F, and would have slowly gone down I guess to somewhere between 194F and the 185 I got earlier but I shut it down then. It immediately went back to 201F with the engine off. Interestingly, almost as much as after climbing the mountain. That's no circulation for ya!

Went back an hour later, started to idle. Saw the thermostat open again at 173F or so, and stabilized around 186F so very similar to before.

[Oh, and, btw, all of the above with the OEM dash gauge firmly pegged a hair below center and never moving one bit... sheesh...]

Now I don't know if these numbers are good. I think my cooling system is in top condition and this was not a trivial climb. Max temp was only 205F. My gauge may be a few deg F on the low side. I was lightly loaded and not towing. How does that sound compared to your numbers?

-----

added. New test:
2 pm, same mountain, same speed. Now 85F outside in the shade.
Up. A/C on, 2000 rpm, 45 mph, started idling at 196 after some low speed driving. Climbed, at top of mountain 221 max temp.
Coasting down: 185.
Note: 10F higher max temp than yesterday with about 10F higher ambient temp.

second test. Same thing, same speed but A/C off now.
Max temp at temp only 210 with most of climb up hill around 201.
Coasting down A/C off: 181.
So turning the A/C off gave me 10F lower max temp. Worth it if things look too hot.

Drove freeway 2200 rpm, 65 mph, temp between 191 and 194 with outside temp ranging from 83 to 76.
Idling I stayed at 200. Turned the engine off and the temp shot up to 207. (Note may be better off to keep it idling if you want to avoid overheating?)

---------

drove around in the burbs tonight. No hills. A/C off. Avg speed something like 40mph maybe. Outside temp 70F. Temperature of coolant stabilized at 186 or just a tad above a fully open thermostat (per the FSM).

good point, edited above! added temp. Humidity unknown, I'm guessing 50%.

thanks!

LandCruiserPhil said:
If the suns out I think it make a difference :cool:

ooops, you caught me before I finished editing.
Don't think radiation makes that much difference, though...

Was your experiment with the AC on or off. Try the same run again with but opposite (Ex AC on next where it was off previously.) I would love to see how running the AC would affect the temp.

mooker82 said:
Was your experiment with the AC on or off. Try the same run again with but opposite (Ex AC on next where it was off previously.) I would love to see how running the AC would affect the temp.

A/C was on IIRC.
did a test with and without A/C, results added above

I have an autometer temp gauge with the probe right in the boss at the water exit on the head also...

Running in Texas high heat ~100F and high humidity ~80-90%... never gets above 200 degrees with new cooling system: 92-93 Radiator, clutch, thermo, hoses and water pump... also run Toyota red 50/50. Usually runs 185-195.

The only thing I think I could do to get it a bit cooler is to replace the ac condenser and trans cooler... the fins are a little disfigured from bugs and rocks and probably blocks some air flow to the new radiator.

Houston FZJ80 said:
I have an autometer temp gauge with the probe right in the boss at the water exit on the head also...

Running in Texas high heat ~100F and high humidity ~80-90%... never gets above 200 degrees with new cooling system: 92-93 Radiator, clutch, thermo, hoses and water pump... also run Toyota red 50/50. Usually runs 185-195.

The only thing I think I could do to get it a bit cooler is to replace the ac condenser and trans cooler... the fins are a little disfigured from bugs and rocks and probably blocks some air flow to the new radiator.

can you find a mountain in TX to do an uphill run? :D

sounds like yours is staying pretty cool!
I wonder if the brass core rad would keep things cooler...?

I'll do some flat terrain in the heat tomorrow!

did the A/C off vs on measurements see edit in first post.

did a flat terrain test moderate speed, no hills: 186F with 70F outside.

Latest test:
city/fwy driving 75F outside: max 198F.
Note the max was seen while idling at stoplights! also high at low speeds. In fact, on the freeway at 65, the temp was lower than at slow speeds and while stopped!
Tentative conclusion: slow is worse for high temps! Keep moving!

Other test:
Idling while hot: 198F
stopped: jumped to 206F
Tentative conclusion: stopping the engine is worse in the short term.

Other test:
idling at 700 rpm : 195F
idling at 2000 rpm: 193F
Tentative conclusion: might be better to keep the revs up to cool things down?

Other test:
Idling at 700 rpm A/C off: 195F
Turn front heater on to max and fan to Hi in recirc: down to 189F
Add rear heater on Hi also : down to 187F.
Tentative conclusion: the heaters do make a significant difference. (Likely underestimated here cuz the thermostat apparently starts closing down around 187F or so.)

Back to the OBDII output for measurement. If a laptop or PDA is not suitable what is the bottom of the range of the pro OBDII readouts that give the FULL sensor data?

more numbers:
ambient temperature: about 75F, maybe 80F

wheeling on dirt/rock road, ups and downs, around 10mph avg, no major rock crawling, in Hi most of the time, no serious engine gunning: temp varied from 190 to 197 or so, usually around 195F. Never got to 200.

coasting down mountain at around 20 mph: 186F

freeway, pretty level, at 60 mph: 185F / at 65mph: 183F (note it's less)

city, level, between traffic lights only up to 40mph or so: around 189F.

all of the above with A/C on

so seems like moderate wheeling did not heat things up that much.

and interesting that at least around 65mph increasing speed gives lower temps...

e9999 said:
can you find a mountain in TX to do an uphill run? :D

Good luck! Nothing above 8,749 feet in this flat, little state ;)

Thanks E

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom