A-Pillar spotlight? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

re_guderian

SILVER Star
Threads
Has anyone put an A-pillar spotlight on their 80? I had one on my FJ60, and my Nissan truck and liked the versatility of putting the light where I needed it. Just tough drilling a 1/2" hole in the pillar. I always wondered what that would do to the structural integrity of the pillar.

I've used these a lot on county SAR vehicles, and kinda find them to be a PITA. I think it would also seriously detract from any resale value (kinda like the holes in my fender and A-Pillar from the snorkle :rolleyes: ).

Anyway, IIRC, it's a pretty big hole, at lease 1" in diameter. Thus, I think it would have a detrimental effect on the strength of the A-pillar.

-H-

I have a mint vintage A piller cop light, new in the box........as well as the store display(mounted on a stand)............ gotta love garage sales...even better when the same guy had a box of 1lb cans of Freon for $5 :)

been thinking about mounting it on something.........maybe the new Lexus :D

I mounted a map light from Osram, 12" stock. It's been working out great for us. The beauty of this one is that you can adjust the amount of light by turning the aperture in front. This is wired constant hot to the fuse panel located on the front passenger seat area.

Hopefully the pic comes through.

Ali
Map light reduced.JPG

If the A pillar is collapsing, then the map light would be the least of my worries..!

edit: the two machine nuts/bolts are going through the interior piece only. They're not penetrating the actual metallic part of the A pillar.

Last edited:
Tools R Us said:
Having seen first hand how easily the A pillar collapses in a roll over, I would not put one there.

If your rolling over I don't think a drilled hole is gonna have much bearing one way or another.

alia176 said:
If the A pillar is collapsing, then the map light would be the least of my worries..!

Your damn skippy.

Sorry about that, a map light is no problem. I thought the original poster was talking about an outside spotlight with inside controls, like the police use, requiring a big hole all the way through the A pillar.

Tools R Us said:
Sorry about that, a map light is no problem. I thought the original poster was talking about an outside spotlight with inside controls, like the police use, requiring a big hole all the way through the A pillar.

That's what I was thinking. One with a ball/socket handle inside to turn the the exterior spotlight manually. My grandfather had an A pillar spotlight like that on an old pickup truck, and when my uncle rolled it, that side (DS) did collapse.

Rob, Open the moonroof and shine your Streamlight. Skip the trailer mods. :)

OZCAL said:
That's what I was thinking. One with a ball/socket handle inside to turn the the exterior spotlight manually. My grandfather had an A pillar spotlight like that on an old pickup truck, and when my uncle rolled it, that side (DS) did collapse.

That's what I meant. The map light shown is on the B-pillar, no? Anyway, I could see the 1/2" hold compromising the pillar integrity.

cruiserman said:
Rob, Open the moonroof and shine your Streamlight. Skip the trailer mods. :)

Ah... I'm obviously new to 80's. None of my other 4x4's have had a sunroof :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom