removed the viscous coupling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pulled the rear of the Transfer Case and removed the VC! It was locked up. I also installed a center diff switch and the 7 pin mod.

Took about 2.5 hours to complete both jobs.

Anyone here running with out the viscous coupling?

Russell

Did you put it back together too?? :D So was it as straight forward as you thought it would be?

It was very easy, none of the bolts were that hard to get at. The only trick is holding the oil pump bushing or steel ring in place and timeing the pump while mating the rear housing back.

Thanks for the use of the FSM. When are you going to be at home so I can drop it by?

sodajerk said:
Anyone here running with out the viscous coupling?

Russell

I think all the 91's and 92's. :D

So everything works the same without the VC in, as far as you can tell? I assume if you can take it out that easy, it's replaceable. Have you checked on it?

Rookie2 said:
I think all the 91's and 92's. :D

So everything works the same without the VC in, as far as you can tell? I assume if you can take it out that easy, it's replaceable. Have you checked on it?

This is the theory....but I think he wanted to know if anyone else (post 92) had done this.

As far as replaceable...of course it is...for $800!!! :eek:

I'd leave it out...lock it with the button and call it good!

Russel- no rush...most evenings after 7...and if I am not there just put it between the screen door and the front door.

Glad I could "help"...

is this all in the FSM? got any pics?

No pics of the job, but i take one of the VC and post tonight.

The job involved

removing the rear drive shaft
Drain transfer case
remove the rear transfer case housing about 9 or 10 bolts of different lengths
Make sure you catch the shim - spacer from the oil pump (it will pop out when you remove the housing.
Remove the snap ring from the shaft (this snap ring holds the Vc in place) (The VC looks like a tuna fish can but is about 3 times as tall)
Pull the VC

Clean off the old gasket material and apply new.

You will have to have two people to put back together. One will have to hold the shim-spacer for the oil pump with a knife or something thin while the other lines up the oil pump drive gear. It took us two tries to get everthing lined up correctly.

We mainly used the FSM for the pics, Not the instructions I guess its a guy thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom