What lift kits are available for the '55's? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiser_guy

Out of Africa / North Africa
Threads
Website
join-hands-for-hope-helping-people-help-themselves.mailchimpsites.com
The FJ55 is now on the road but has a lean to the drivers side. On closer inspection it appears that the rear drivers spring is either busted or badly bent at the axle. We'd like to have a bolt on kit for the '55 rather than a made up "kit" of parts that need special ordering, AKA Alcan's or similar.
If we need to go that way though, please let us know that as well.
We'd like greasable pins and anti-inversion shackles in the mix too.

SOR sells springs for the FJ55. I think that they may be your only option for off the shelf. Too bad you aren't going with Alcans. They would be set up specifically for your rig's weight and your desired lift and ride quality.

Good luck.

Or you might go SOA and set the springs up like Lance Williams did with his Rocklobster. I havent spoken with Lance in about 3 or 4 years so I dotn know if he still has it or not. But you can still ask him.

alcan...they make them up custom for ya.

Got a set of Beltons from Australia, made specifically for FJ55s, tough to obtain in the states. Based on OME's I understand. I installed the rears, and so far I'm rather impressed: nice firm ride. My swaybar bushings are s*** (oops, SHOT) that will help when I re-do that this weekend... my best recommendation is a local spring guy who can do anything you want, re-arch, etc, or add-a-leafs, mostly a band-aid, but generally effective for awhile. The "kit" I got was complete from springs/greasable shackles/shocks/steering damper/ubolts, etc, etc. I added a ubolt flip setup just for fun... Let me know if you need more information.

Nial

These are ~2 1/2 inch lift...

Last edited:
You'd end up probably paying more for SOR's springs than for alcans. For some reason I was under the impression that SOR's heavy duty springs and Safari Springs were both made by the same crappy company, just marketed differently. Safari springs have not earned a decent reputation, to put it midly. JT outfitters sells pinnacle springs, but rumor has it, they "suck wad". tpi4x4.com used to list some smokey mountain springs way back when for real cheap, but I'm not too sure about anymore.

So, Beltons have earned a very good reputation, as have alcans. With the alcans, they've done enough 55s where they would probably have specs already drawn up for you. Or you start swapping and moving spring hangers and slap on some other springs.

Ah, one of the few sorrows of pig ownership, finding good springs.

I had this lift on my 55 when I first got it...

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/safari springs fj55 4inch suspension system.htm

This is MAF's picture..

fj55wsss403.jpg

Here is my rig on the same springs (they take a while to break in but do well once they are..)

Proverbial_what_it_was.sized.jpg

Here is stock springs (a couple cruiser leaf's added) SOA...

camp.jpg

Hear great things about Alcan springs.... MAF would be my first "bolt on" kit chioce... SOA obviously is my favorite all around lift for 55's... pinnacle no way!

HTH

Where can you get the Alcans at? Do they have a website or is it through a distributor?

snailwagon said:
JT outfitters sells pinnacle springs, but rumor has it, they "suck wad". .
not just wad, but BIG WADS!!!

Go Alcan, they will make the lift spring to how much gear your carrying, bumpers, types of wheeling. It was almost like ordering a custom suit.
Not to mention the fellows who run the place were GREAT to deal with.

i really like the IRONMAN susp i got from SOR, though i think they switched to a different spring now.

when the time comes i will be getting ALCAN springs, its as "bolt on" as anything but with the bonus of custom tuning since they dont make'em til you order'em.

+1 for Alcans. They ride nice/flex good. If you are going for lift springs like 3" to 4" springs make them longer on the shackle side to help with shackle angles. Definitely be conservative on weight rating. Becuase they will settle to the desired lift height with the weight you specify.

flexy1.jpg

flexxy2.jpg

I just priced them on the website. Got an email back same day. 190 for each rear and 210 each front. Plus shipping and theres a fee right now due to the high cost of metal. It worked out to about 920.

i paid the same for my 60 a few months ago

I would like some stock height springs built to handle the additional weight of my engine. Last thing I want is more height... I gotta save my duckets tho. Pretty much blown my wad for now. My stock springs are gonna have to last a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom