Custom OEM Bumper Tire Carrier (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have spent several weeks working on building a tire carrier that I can use without having to replace my factory bumper. I wanted to share what I have pulled together for those who might want to build there own, but didn’t have a place to start. I believe this is a good alternative for those who do not run hard core trails, but would like to get the spare out from underneath their trucks. I know this application will not work for everyone but may be of interest to others. First off I want to thank Byron Arthur for giving me his old tire carrier he fabricated and was no longer using so I didn’t have to buy a new spindle. Plus he also let me let me borrow his welder. I also got some help from Bob Garrett. He allowed me to bounce ideas off of him as well as I modeled my carrier off of a Slee carrier that Christo build for Bob several years back.

Current stage of build: All spot welded in place and still must weld it all together with full welds throughout. I also need to add the latch system, prime, paint, mount and put bumperett back in place.

Specs: 3/16 2x2 square tubing for swing out, 3/16 steel plate for mounting Spindle bracket, 3/16 angle for Spindle bracket support, 3/16 2x3 tubing for main bracket arm, Slee Offroad Spindle, and a 2000 lb locking PULL-ACTION TOGGLE CLAMP from McMaster-Carr part # 5071A62

Last edited:
nice, pretty simple and practical. Wish I had the welding skills to make something like that.

It looks really similar to a setup that I ran for 3 years. It works real well for basic trails, but I tried to go easy on the really rough stuff. I built my prototype out of 3x3, 3/16 wall steel tube and 1/4 plate back in 2001.

Good job, it looks like it came out really well. You used a better spindle setup and the latch choice is nice. What would the price point be? I'm not looking to buy, but it looks like a solid build and the question needs to be asked. :D Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom