New FJ80 Prototype with removable roof! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Alright its not Toyota's Idea But it makes for a fine Dual purpose 80. I used the Runner drivetrain with Marlins turbo tranny R151 with non USA gear set backed by his Ultimate crawler and a Gas tank from a 1992 Toyota Celica. Otherwise the 80 chassis is bone stock no suspension lift at all (yet). This mod only took 2 1/2 weeks and the body and chassis are bolted together with a adapter in between which we made from 2x4 1/8" rectangle tubing. Aussie lockers front and rear removed the swaybars and removed the driverside front bolt in the radius arm and it flexes really well, enough to max out the shocks and mark where I need to clearance the fenders alittle bit more. This has been the easiest build I have yet to do and the most fun. Everytime I started on a portion the Runner and Cruiser almost connected themselves. Like the steering rod just drilled the plastic out separated the shaft shortened 4 inches and it bolted right to the cruiser's steering box. I loved that!...equaled a major build up and mdification in a couple of weeks with no special tools or jigs. Now I have room for any engine that I might want to swap in if I decide that the 22RE is not enough. Also have 4 Cruiser spare rims that I use for street tires when I want to go to town. here are some pictures for your enjoyment... Now I can already see that the sheet metal on this rig is not as close to danger as the original body was..:) Oh and the chassis complete was 400.00 on Ebay Gota love that!

Mike AKA MYTTOY
FJ80RUNNER1.JPG

Last edited:
More pics
FJ80RUNNER3.JPG
FJ80RUNNER5.JPG

Really cool. Post up some flexy pics.

Any plans on actually lifting her in the future?

I will get some action shots and post them. I took the rig to GSMTR to see what it needed and only had the rear locker installed and ran school bus and gard rail as well as the usual trails and only had to winch 2 feet since I got hung on the lower rear front link mounts. If I had the front locker or about a 2.5-3inch lift no worries. The tires are 38.5x16.5 Mickey Thomson Claws and I can turn lock to lock and not rub anything. Its really cool and i am looking at bumper and side slider protection to see just how far i can take this ... Thanks for the reply and I will keep everyone updated on the progress and fine tuning.

Mike

Last edited:
You guys and your true mechanical skills really amaze me! I can do a bit of wrenching but things like this make me feel pretty small.

really this was a really easy project. Nothing was modified on the chassis except parts removed unbolted (swaybars and brackets)and the rear of the frame cut off due to damage from the accident that allowed me to buy it so reasonably. Then the 4Runner parts all worked before the swap so I just needed to mate the two systems together with a simle addapter that really anyone could reproduce in their garage. Here is a picture of one side of the body /chassis adapter.
Then we cut the front sheet metal and stretched it 5.5 inches to allow it to bolt to the factory FJ80 mounts ....almost had to drill new holes .5 inches from factory holes then bolt to assemble really was slick the way it went together.
i originally was looking for the front axle assembly only and found this chassis complete with all axles and full suspension as well as complete exhaust so if anyone needs any 1993 Fj80 exhaust pieces let me know.
Minor welding was required on the adapter and then again to install the Front range crossmember for the dual cases and that was it took the Runner shafts to my freind at Precision driveline in Glasgow Ky. waited while he fixed the lengthes and wala! Well there was a little issue with the exhaust routing but I figured a way to kick it up and out the side of the body on the drivers side which solved the trouble. if anyone has any questions or would like to do a similar project let me know and I can tell you what to expect. There is plenty of room to run any of the Toyota engines since there are the factory mounts for the inline six the 22RE mounts from Rockstomper were welded onto 1/4" plates added tontop of the factory mounts and there is plenty of length for any of the Supra inline six's as well. Since you have the Cruiser motor mount locations you could even run the gm v8's gas or diesel if you wanted however the 4 banger moves the truck just fine with the reduced weight.

The beginning.....
the beginning.JPG

Wow! That's going to be bad-azz when your finished!! :cheers:

Hey MYTTOY great rig!
Bring that thing down in Oct. to Gray Rock in Al.
Look under CottonLand Cruisers for info.

For some reason when i click the link it shows me all the pics, but if i click on one of the pics to enlarge it so i can see it, it comes up blank? I dunno?

It works well for a stock 80 chassis
FJ80RUNNER8.JPG

concretejungle said:
For some reason when i click the link it shows me all the pics, but if i click on one of the pics to enlarge it so i can see it, it comes up blank? I dunno?

Some times MSN is that way most times it works fine If you still have trouble I now have my SILVER STAR and could attatch some more pics. Let me know if you still have trouble....TRY this here is the regular URL then go to pictures then select new projects and that should work for anyone...

http://www.msnusers.com/NiesMountainTrailTime

Sweet work. Nice to see ingenuity at work.

Thats really impressive, the best of both worlds.

Doug

Thanks ULTRAFJ ,

My goal with this project is to see how far it needs to be taken to get the maximum fun and utility out of the minimum effort/expence with this platform since there are more and more 80's becomming available in various levels of servicability this is another avenue to take and add the different Toyota vehicle systems together to recycle at short interval and get back out there and have fun.

Mike, that thing is sweet, even so before i saw that flex pic, but now it's super sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom