Uh Oh, Grinding in 4Low (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Had a blast this weekend putting the wagon through her paces. Amazing where she will go with just a little lift and 31s.

Unfortunately, I developed an unfriendly sound in the front driveline somewhere. When climbing I get a loud, grinding noise occasionally. It seems to be when one wheel is lifted up and spins (open diff). On solid ground I can't duplicate it. I quit when it started and drove all the way down the trail without a sound. Doesn't seem like it's coming from a hub, it seems like its coming from a birf or in the diff (hard to tell on the side of mountain).

I need to do a front rebuild anyhow, so I'll have all the pieces and parts exposed soon enough. Any ideas on the likely suspect?
bachcruise0001.JPG

Last edited:
Interesting, the noise really sounds like gears slipping or not engaging 100%, but I'll check that out.

Hmmmm. That noise sounds familiar. Have you fixed it yet? If so, what's the deal?

I'll second the broken motor mount / fan shroud diagnosis. Seen it many times.

One more for fan grinding in the cover. Other option is cheking oil on the diff, and bearings on the front wheels, but this sound are always present.

Well, The fan has definitely been hitting the shroud at some point as the fan shows it's been rubbing. The little bracket on the top center of the shroud that holds it tight to the radiator is gone and I can push the shroud into the fan with my hand with some pressure. Motor mounts look good, so maybe the combination of loose shroud, high RPMs, & steep incline creates the recipe for it to rub.

Surgery is in order.

I've had two experiences:

1. the drivers-side motor mount was broken causing the fan to hit the shroud in high torque situations. I could make the sound in 2wd so that ruled out a problem with the xfer case. I put a bottle jack on the engine below where the mount attaches and jacked the engine up slightly to reveal the motor mount was broken. I got a quote from my local Toyota dealer for $200 (book value I assume). Best $200 dollars I ever spent, since that mount is difficult to replace (at least I couldn't figure out how to do it). When I picked the car up, the repair was done, but the service rep said the mechanic never wanted to see my truck again!
2. I had a problem with my transfer case slipping out of 4WD when in Low. I would get a grinding sound when the wheels were slipping. If there was enough traction for the wheels not to slip it wouldn't grind because the front wheels would be turning the same speed as the rear and the front drive shaft would spin the same speed as the transfer case and the gears wouldn't grind. I adjusted transer case shift bracket/gate. Sometimes the rubber s*** boot gets in the way and keeps 4WD from fully engaging. Although, I would think you would know if you weren't in 4WD...

lowenbrau said:
Forgive me if I'm way off but under those conditions its common for a waek or broken motor mount to allow the fan to hit the shroud, making an awful noise.

Yup...just experienced this.

The 1" ratchet strap is still working well...

No more ugly sound. Goes better too...all those horses get to work the driveshaft instead of lifting the engine...

:D

gb

2mbb said:
2. I had a problem with my transfer case slipping out of 4WD when in Low.

i have that problem!!

i dont use Low4WD much as most of my wheelin is sand dunes and beach running, but lately its been slipping/jumping out of low4 and then that loud grinding sound..

how did ya fix it?
im stumped
:confused:

Your driver's side motor mount is broken. The grinding noise is the fan hitting the fan shroud. Then it's popping out of 4 low because the engine/tranny is rotating over and the transfer case lever is hitting the floor and pushing it out of gear.

Wow.

I can't believe that that is the case. I have the same problem, wow! How hard is it to change? Just jack up the engine and then change the mount, right?

:beer:

Haven't tackled it yet. I hear that disconnecting the exhaust is often required. I modified my shroud to keep the fan from getting chewed up, but no tough trails until the new mount(s) is in.

Changing FJ60 Motor Mount

1. Not 'hard"
2. DO NOT TRY TO LIFT ENGINE HIGH ENOUGH

3. Remove nut at bottom of mount.
4. remove smog pump ( for hand & tool clearance)
. . .or move A/C compressor, remove compressor bracket
5. Loosen nut on top of mount
6. lift engine 'just enough' to allow mount to swivel
7. remove mount arm from engine block
. . .three 17mm head bolts
8. Replace motor mount to arm
9. follow steps 7 to 3 (reverse order...)

i didnt disconnect the exhaust, but i did unhook the radiator hose i think (after draining it partway). I think thats all, can't remember exactly it was a while ago. I loosened the passenger side mount so it was almost off, then i just jacked the motor up until i could get othe new mount in. It was a PITA though, i remember that. When i was done i put some zip cords around it to hopefully keep it from breaking again.

Brian

hi guys, got exactly the same problem, though in my case, i don't think its the mount cos' when its in low 4 & slightly uphill, i get this same exact sound, & when i grab the low gear stick i can feel the noise in it, so it must be that the gears are not fully engaging.... (i hope...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom