3" exhaust over the frame rail on 95-97 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Finally made some progress on this today so here's the result. Three inch tubing from the turbo outlet into a three inch catalytic converter then routed over the frame rail where the body hump exists (I assume not changed from 93-95 model) then into muffler in stock position. Everything past the muffler is routed like stock. Terminated in just a slant cut in the tube like stock but with no resonator. Much louder than stock. EGT bung and new 02 sensors in tomorrow.

Last edited:
Nice custom pipe, by the way are those mandrel bent?
Also i have question for you, the 80s got 2 cats.Will it be problem later on, if we just use 1 cat instead of 2?
or maybe just not gonna work at all by using 1 cat? In terms of SMOG/Emissions, engine light, OBD2 etc...?

P.S: How much they charge you to do all '3 custom pipes?

Clown nicely done. :cool:

I'm sure turbocruiser will definately find this interesting.

Can you maybe get a little better pick of where the pipe bends to go up and over the frame rail? Would like to compare to my set up.

Also how close is your exhaust running to your transfercase, and are you running a single cat or the dual set up?

Nice clown. Did you get your cats from discount muffler? A couple more pics would be dandy.

Yes, i definitely find this interesting, but IIRC, clown's got a body lift which really works wonders for both getting the pipe over and also for not heating up the floor too much.

Remember there was someone who had force fitted the 3" over the frame without a body lift and after a long drive his Coleman cooler full of ice had melted into his carpet!!! :eek: Can you imagine how much heat was penetrating the floor to melt the carpet into the plastic of the cooler despite the cooler being full of ice! Wow, not a risk I'm willing to take without the body lift.

Anyways, super cool work clown, please remind me if i remember right that you have the body lift and if so was it home-made or some specific brand. Thanks man, good work. :cheers:

Yes, I definitely forgot to mention that I think this would not work without a 1" minimum body lift. I got mine from 4Crawler.com. He didn't have anything but I provided him with all the details for any future requests. I'll shoot more photos and post them here. I'm not too thrilled with the louder noise but it is what I wanted for the way the truck is set up for now. It is WAY tucked up now and I doubt I'll have any issues with smacking any part of it. I used a MagnaFlow/Car Sound Catalytic converter that was OBD-II and CARB compliant (part no. 43009) but that doesn't mean I'll necessarily be CA compliant since that cat hasn't been CARB certified for this truck. I'm going to have it emissions tested to see how it tests and I have almost 2 years until I get tested again since I just had it tested. Also, I saved the entire stock exhaust just in case. I had the oem O2 bungs welded into the stock positions and will have the egt bung put in just upstream of the first O2 one. Absolutely no problems in terms of CE light or running odd. So far so good. Pics later tonight I promise.

edit: Not completely mandrel bent. Used a bunch of pre-bent mandrel tubing then cut it up and welded to get desired fit. For the section that goes over the rear-most cross member (where the stock exhaust is flattened to about 1") I used the bender so it is ever so slightly smaller in diameter but makes that bend much better than stock in my opinion.

Total cost so far for everything $500. That includes the CARB cat which retails for over $200 :( I got it online to avoid taxes and shipping for a little cheaper than that $185.

Last edited:
clownmidget

i may have missed some posts. what turbo do you have and what were you doing with your exhaust before you put this in? Why have you decided to yank the factory cats? Was it simply to get it under the frame or any other reason?

pics finally

semlin said:
what turbo do you have and what were you doing with your exhaust before you put this in? Why have you decided to yank the factory cats? Was it simply to get it under the frame or any other reason?

Here are some pics. Of course the most important one is out of focus. I'll take another once it's light out.

Semlin, I was able to source a Safari intercooled turbocharger system used off a totaled 105-series that had the 1FZ-FE engine. The exhaust was not compatible with my truck. Once I installed the turbocharger I had a short connector piece that went from the 3" turbo outlet to the front of the first cat. I decided to yank the factory cats since they were 8 yrs old, I did not like their arrangement as two in series and both in different axes, and I especially didn't like that the exhaust went under the frame rail. If I had obtained a good out of the box exhaust that was 3" for most of the way but still went under the frame rail I'd probably be doing what Turbocruiser did with a skidplate. But since it was obvious that if I wanted 3" exhaust I was going to have to do a custom fit I decided to go this route. I did have a few phone conversations with MagnaFlow about their cats in the "hypothetical" use for this truck with regards to how effectively it would likely pass CA emissions testing. Based on that I decided to give this a try. I passed with the stock setup just months ago so if needed I'll put it back on. But I still want to go test this setup and see what it's doing.

Last edited:
more pics

more pics...

Last edited:
Very cool setup clown, looks like the ideal way to route the exhaust, also looks like I need to reconsider the body lift thing!

As a minor detour, aside from allowing the exhaust to route the right way, what else good AND bad please, have you observed since the body lift was installed?

Again, very cool setup, very cool work! :cheers:

thanks clown. Youy must have surfed far and wide to find that turbo and to make sure it would fit . If I may be so bold can ou quantify the benefit of a 3" exhaust with a turbo? I thought the turbo restriction negated any benefit.

Semlin,
I was going off the input of others that had experience with the Safari's (Christo, D. McRae, etc.) for going with the 3". That was also the same input I got from Safari when I contacted them for a few of the little widget parts and also from the tuner garage here locally that will burn the UniChip on a 4-wheel dyno. But as of now, I can't really say anything about performance benefits. I've only got the turbo installed and running it at very low boost (~2-3 lbs) while I sort out the rest of things like actually installing the Supra TT fuel pump, BEGI rising rate fuel pressure regulator and then taking it to the dyno for the UniChip. That stuff is just sitting on my workbench until I get some time. I'm also dragging my heels on taking it to the dyno until I get the 4.88's installed. So it will likely be deep into July before I can speak to the benefits of the exhaust in terms of performance. But regardless of that, just having the whole exhaust routed the way it is is much better in my opinion - so far! I'm taking it for a vacation trip from SoCal to Telluride and Moab for 10 days starting Weds. so that should allow me to see any problems that arise from it in terms of heat dissapation, etc.

I will say it again and probably never stop - it is way too loud for my tastes. I know I got myself into this but it just sucks to hear that exhaust note when there used to be civilized silence.

very interesting - do you know what size turbo is in the safari?

Garrett T04E - but I can check for certain in the morning.

how's the heat inside the cab in the areas where the pipe is now closest...have you noticed and increase at all?

Nice work! Very impressive doing all that yourself, it looks like it was born that way.

Hope you get the decibels down to your liking, that might get tiring on the long road trip. Looks like you have room in the rear bumper for a resonator near the tip, would that help quiet it down?

Clown, I am not running the rising rate regulator on my rig. Do you believe this is essential in conjunction with the Supra TT fuel pump? Also I am running 3" pipe as well and there is room in the rear for a resonator, at least that is how I have it set up and it does help with dbs.

Depending on boost, I'd imagine gains of 10 - 20hp with the 3" system. Other significant gains include faster turbocharger spool up and an overall cooler running engine.

I'm sure you are aware, but for the know of others, get some heat sheilding around the down pipe as it'll glow red hot after a good run. Lines, wires, rubber body mounts, etc etc are very susceptible to degradation from the extreme heat.

Thanks. No notice in heat but I sit pretty far away from that area ;) I'm sure my wife will let me know though.

I don't think the rising rate reg is absolutely imperative but from the info I've gathered it is better to deal with that approach (maintaining high fuel pressure) rather than putting larger injectors. But that is for the conservative approach so don't folks jump all over me on that one! Sure larger injectors will help once you really start dialing up the boost. Still with those you'd still need the regulator so this seemed like the logical piece to put in first and then see how it runs. I'm replacing the stock regulator as well since the BEGI unit I have incorporates the stock unit.

Definitely installing some heat shielding! Even though it is set up pretty nicely It is still pretty close to some things I'd rather not experiment with in terms of high temp durability.

I've thought about a resonator but will wait for that until I get a rear bumper done. That was also why I wasn't too concerned about the last 2 ft of the exhaust - it will likely get modified for any rear bumper.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom