OME stock height replacem't kit--thoughts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
twitter.com
Hi all,

I have a daily driver '94 FZJ80, 121k miles, all stock for now, 80% onroad and the rest light offroad. Mechanic says I could use some new shocks-- am thinking now would be a good time to upgrade the suspension overall to the OME stock height kit from Slee.

Did a search in the archives but didn't find a definitive discussion about the pro's and con's of this mild mod vs the slightly more aggressive medium load 2" OME kit.

Doubtful I *need* a lift--thought it does looks good--and just wanted to hear from some of you with more experience in this area.

Thx in advance.

re:
2 x OME 861 Front Coil Springs
2 x OME 862 Rear Coil Springs
2 x N73 Shocks
2 x N74E Shocks
1 x SD24 Steering Damper

This suspension will increase stiffen the ride without compromising the ride quality. It is ideal for people that are not interested in lifting the truck, but wants better handling.

The suspension will lift the truck about a 1/2". This amount of lift does not introduce any steering geometry changes and there is no need to install caster bushings.

Welcome to the forum!

I suspect you will hear plenty about how you would soon be sorry you didn't go for a lift...

Bring it! That's why I'm here! Thx.

The 1/2" "lift" would not require caster correction bushings.

Go for the lift. If you plan on doing ANY kind of off-road travel, you'll wish you got it. IIRC, the price is the same, so why not go for it.

Besides, the longer you hang out around here...the more likely you'll be that you'll want to start hitting some serious trails. :D

Oh...BTW...

Welcome aboard :flipoff2:

If you're just looking for half an inch, save yourself some money and slip some half inch ring spacers into your LC. For so small a difference, you shouldn't need anything more unless you find something broken along the way.

Kalawang

I'm in a similar situation. I called ARB to see what they would recommend. They claim that if your not looking to lift the vehicle, stick with your stock springs and just invest in some new OME shocks. You can always throw money at new springs later.

-Ryan

Welcome. :flipoff2:

Interesting username.

JUST LIFT IT! :D

Not to hijack, but I've been considering the OME stock height heavy-duty replacement springs. Does anyone have these and what do you think? I just got my new OEM shocks from Dan, and was considering the heavier springs for the rear since I always seem to be loaded down. I'm not planning to lift the 80 anytime soon(got the mini-truck for the wilder stuff), but I need a greater load capacity.

Ary

At one time I planned on getting the stock replacement kit for my 94. I'm now very happy that I waited a while to consider it and eventually went with the 2.5 inch instead.

Greetings,

I went with the stock height replacement from Slee. It raised truck about 1-1/2" from the stock setup whick was worn and saggaing I suppose. This "new" height was noticeable getting in and out especially for wife and kids. The set up also improved the ride dramatically and gave more room for the BFG 285's I had installed at the same time. For the mostly daily driver rig and occasional back road this set up worked great for me.

If you're looking at little-to-no lift, go with stock toyota shocks (which are dirt cheap and high quality) and a Mr. Gasket spring spacer up front.

I think you should go for it. The stock springs get worn out and sag over time. Mine were seriously sagging at 180k.

New OME stock height springs should bring you back to a stock height (maybe + a little) and you'll gain the advantage of a better spring rate.

In the end you'll have a fresh suspension and you will really appreciate the difference in ride quality.

I went OME medium (which supposedly has the same sprting rate, just longer) and my wife absolutely loves the difference in ride quality. I don't rock crawl, but I do drive a lit of unimproved dirt roads (i.e. major water bars, inclines, big rocks, mud and gravel) and when I do, I really appreciate the extra height.

The major downside of a lift for some is the increased step in height - especially if you've removed your side steps and not replaced them with step sliders. Besides, if you only drive in urban places, a lift, 33s, sliders, and a bull bar are WAY unnecessary (in my opinion).

Go for it.

Charlie

PS. If you do decide to lift it later, you will already have the shocks and you will just need the longer springs and the caster correction bushings. No biggie. I'm sure the stock height springs would sell and recoup a little of the investment.

Last edited:
Just lift it. I think like most people say one would regret not lifting it and getting stock height. I know I regret not lifting mine enough and going with ome heavies instead of J's which is what I want now. Oh well. But I say lift it you will be very happy. Oh and welcome you will find this place to be very useful and helpful.

Kalawang said:
If you're just looking for half an inch, save yourself some money and slip some half inch ring spacers into your LC. For so small a difference, you shouldn't need anything more unless you find something broken along the way.

Kalawang

Using a spacer is no substitute for the low lift springs. The low lift springs have a firmer rate that significantly improves handling, especially when loaded with 500-600 pounds in the back. I found that with 3-4 people in the rear the stock springs would bottom on moderate sized dips (on the freeway). The low lift springs eliminate this.

If you are planning on replacing the shocks, do the low lift springs at the same time. I did Bilstein HD's and ended up adding the springs a couple of months later because even with the firmer shocks, handling was still a bit sloppy and the stock springs had horrible load carrying capability.

CharlieS said:
...Besides, if you only drive in urban places, a lift, 33s, sliders, and a bull bar are WAY unnecessary (in my opinion)...
except that it will bring your sliders UP to the height of most car/truck bumpers -- with a lift and sliders you have a bit more side-impact protection.

you'd also might enjoy a little more leeway when manuevering in traffic...I found that other vehicles have a little more "respect" for an armored rig merging into their lane. :D

OK. I revise my opinion then. I suspect that they are not serving their intended purpose in an urban envionment. I suspect a lot of this gear ends up on many urban vehicles as "bling".

Mind you, I am not a rock crawler and I do have an arb bumper (soon to have a winch) OME lift etc. Although I live on the side of a mountain in pretty much the middle of nowhere, there are very few times I'd even need this junk. It still borders on asthetic bling.

Charlie

CharlieS said:
...I suspect that they are not serving their intended purpose in an urban envionment..
you mean they're not there to protect my rocker panels when I have to crawl over the VW bug that parked so close to me that I can't pull away from the curb without crawling over the rear bumper?

protection from really tall speed bumps?

okay, nevermind...

back to the topic at hand...
how's this for an idea -- get the 2.5" OME med springs and if you don't like them, I seriously doubt that you'll have problems selling them to someone here for pretty darned close to what you paid.
(if you haven't figured it out yet...I'm firmly in the "get the lift" group)

IXXI said:
Hi all,
re:
2 x OME 861 Front Coil Springs
2 x OME 862 Rear Coil Springs
2 x N73 Shocks
2 x N74E Shocks
1 x SD24 Steering Damper

This suspension will increase stiffen the ride without compromising the ride quality. It is ideal for people that are not interested in lifting the truck, but wants better handling.

So far I've run on:

. Stock (OEM) springs + stock shocks == worst handling
. Stock springs + OME (N73, N74E) shocks == better
. OME lowlift (861/862) springs + stock shocks == way way way better (current setup)
. OME lowlift springs + OME shocks == best

If you'd like to make it better than best, use new stock rubber shock bushings instead of the OME poly-urethane ones, IMHO.

Edited: After 3+ years on the lowlift springs, while still very happy with the current setup, now I'm looking for a possible higher lift (mine has been mainly used as a family minitank). - so you might want to take Doug's advise into consideration.

Last edited:
Sh-t...now I have to drop the extra $$ on springs too. I'm not reading any more threads until I hit the lottery.

Cheers.

A little outside the box here, but another option at stock height to 50mm lift are bilstein shocks. I can't speak from experience but I am seriously considering them right now. They are cheaper in the us than the OMEs and many prefer them. In australia they cost more than OMEs and on offroad forums I have looked at they are consistently referred to as a step up and as the best shock along with konis. they also have a reputation for durability the OMEs do not enjoy. The stock shocks are rated in Australia as good for up to a 50mm lift which appears to be what OME rates their medium lift at over there. You will give up about an inch of length and stroke over the OMEs but it sopunds like you would never need that.

I am generally happy with my OMEs but they are bouncier than I expected and I am not at all happy with their performance on extended driving gravel washboard roads. On my first offroad trip with them they noticably degraded over the course of day one, and by day two they were worse than my old stock shocks in the same conditions and they stayed that way for another day on the pavement before recovering. The bilsteins have been recommended for exactly this use by other board members. I am going to give the OMEs one more chance then I will try bilsteins.

Also, if I were you whatever I did I would replace the shocks first and see how it rode. I would then only replace the springs once I knew I needed it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom