Fender flare removal / Line-x (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering what is the best way to fill holes left from flare removal before
line-x ing ? I thought about using some plastic hole plugs but i am concerned
that you will see them after the line-x.

thanks Dan

Metallic Tape

Dan,

Mudrak did my Super Liner. He used metallic tape. He cut the tape into round pieces and covered the holes. One thing with this method, you have to be careful not to apply pressure over the hole, only on it's sided. If you do, the tape will sink into the whole leaving an oval mark. How do I know this?
I helped put the tape over the holes and messed up a couple.

The good thing is that you have to look for them to find them, they are not obvious.

Here are some pics of my rig after the Super Liner:

<http://homepage.mac.com/alvarorb/PhotoAlbum79.html>

Regards

Alvaro

I used bondo mesh to cover the inside of the ones I could reach from the backside. I then applied bondo to the exterior. Once it dried, I sanded it to a fairly smooth finish. The ones I could not reach the backside of required a bit more patience: I actually went ahead and used the bondo mesh on the front side in these cases and simply pushed enough bondo through the hole and mesh to form a plug once dry. In some cases, the plug just fell inward as it dried. I just repeated the steps until I got a solid plug in each case. i then sanded the surface to a fairly smooth finish just as before.

Good luck!

My opinion.

Best method:
Weld holes shut, grind and sand smooth.

Suggested method:
Bondo with or without fiberglass mesh and/or "hair", sand smooth.

Accepted method:
Apply metal tape to the holes.

Not everyone has access to a welder, nor the desire to spend the extra $$$ to have the holes welded shut, so the best for the "average guy", I think, would be to slap some bondo on there to cover the holes.

Metal tape was what was used on mine -- I have some "dimples" showing through my liner, but for me, it's not that big of a deal. You seem to indicate that you do not want anything visible through the liner, so I would suggest you either weld or bondo the holes.

The liner material is pretty strong, so I don't think there should be a concern about what's used to cover the holes. Personally, I think it would look cool to have slightly raised plastic or metal plugs used...it would give sort of a "riveted" look to the linered flare area.

NorCalDoug said:
My opinion.

The liner material is pretty strong, so I don't think there should be a concern about what's used to cover the holes. Personally, I think it would look cool to have slightly raised plastic or metal plugs used...it would give sort of a "riveted" look to the linered flare area.

Hmmm. Button head allen bolts to fill the holes would look pretty industrial. After the liner, of course.

nakman said:
Convert, no!!!! don't tarnish that georgous maroon exterior.... what kind of bull has BVB been feeding you?

j/k... and Alvaro's rig is sweet looking. :) You going to do the rockers too? good to see ya!

nakman yes going to do the rockers and about 3" to 4" of the doors.... no BVB involved landed on large rock and front PS flare (ouch)

NorCalDoug
I kind of think that rivited look might be the way to go guess i better go to the hardware store and pick up some plugs.Thanks to all for the imput.

LR_RESQ said:
This thread is useless without pics...
Pics?
lucy.jpg
PICT0083 (Medium).JPG

Gumby said:
That's what I'm thinking, except under the pair of body lines to line up better with the ARB.
Yep, the first 80 I saw with this done was Pat Takash's FJ80 -- his was just under the bottom line.

Me...I didn't have much of a choice since the lexus cladding went up to the top of the upper line.

Here are pics of my bondo patch and cheapo spray can bedliner job. If special care is taken when you sand and then paint with the texturized bedliner, dimples can be avoided entirely. I only got good at this after some practice (oops), so the first section I did does have some dimples.

It looks like I'll have to wash this sucker and take care to get good close ups next time I want to post pictures.
LSide.jpg
LRQTR.jpg
RRQTR.jpg

Last edited:
teknomad80 said:
Here are pics of my bondo patch and cheapo spray can bedliner job. If special care is taken when you sand and then paint with the texturized bedliner, dimples can be avoided entirely. I only got good at this after some practice (oops), so the first section I did does have some dimples.

It looks like I'll have to wash this sucker and take care to get good close ups next time I want to post pictures.

Tekno,
did you bondo over the fenders flares making them look like one with the rest of the body? Or did you remove the fender flares and pull out the fender itself? Looks good either way.

-Sam-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom