Parts Washer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anybody got any advice as to what to look for in a parts washer. Would like to add one to my inventory of goodies but having never used one I'm not sure what would be a good investment. Its not something that I would use all that often but would come in very handy from time to time. Just wondering what some of you other gear heads have in your arsenal and what requirements would be desireable for a home wrencher.

We get by with a cheapo Harbor Freight benchtop washer - nothing fancy but it is pretty handy for light use. For really gnarly stuff we hit it with the pressure washer in a homeade steel basket and then take to our neighbors shop and dunk in the heated 55 gallon barrell of super-potent-illegal-as-hell-circa-1965 solvent, no comparision to what is available today for solvent.

I would suggest a Northern Tool or harbor freight special with the flow through brush - or a couple cases of Brake Kleen :D

i've got the harbor freight cheapy and it's great...definitely got my moneys worth, but i use it constantly also, so eventually, i'll upgrade to one that filters.

cruzer said:
You will be happier with this one, think of it as trying to wash your dishes in the bathroom sink, you can do it but its a PITA.

Stew

Thats kinda what I was thinking. :idea: Seen those on e-bay for 49.99 but then you gotta add 54$ for shipping. Does harbor freight include shipping in there price?

Nevermind I answered my own question. :doh:

cruzer said:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=37485

You will be happier with this one, think of it as trying to wash your dishes in the bathroom sink, you can do it but its a PITA.

Stew

The 20 gallon is the exact one I got from Northern Tool. I holds about 12-15 gallons of "Varsol" and I wish I had bought one about 20 yrs. ago. I consider it indespensible.
I have have used it extensively for 5 yrs. with no problems.

Arya Ebrahimi said:
Let me know when you add a hydraulic shop lift to the arsenal and I'll hang out with you all the time :flipoff2:

Ary

When the house and garage are done this is next on the list.

But don't tell the :princess: .

I bought the HF 20 gal model like the one in the link but mine has a blue tub. Both were on sale for $70 and the clerk said the blue one was able to use volitile solvents where the red one could only use bio degradable non volitile stuff. I have no idea if he knew what he was talking about.

I was going to use Castrol Superclean in it but could not find any that day so I bought the HF solvent that you are supposed to dilute 20 to 1 but I only cut it by half with water. I think Superclean will work much better.

I decided to finally get one when I did my knuckle rebuild as I knew it would be a nasty job. It worked great and I had no problems getting the birf's in there.

For $70 you can't go wrong. If you have the space get one. I am glad to see that someone's has lasted for 5 years because I was worried about the pump life on such an inexpensive unit.

Dunbar

The water based solvent killed my pump in a year.. After replacing the pump I run plain ol paint thinner.. It's cheap and works..

alstaz said:
I got the 20 gal one and they price matched it to an advertised one for $49.

Hot damn :idea:

i got the 20 gallon one too...i wouldn't go any smaller. for small stuff, it comes with a little basket (not as good as a wire basket, but works).

tornadoalleycruiser said:
The water based solvent killed my pump in a year.. After replacing the pump I run plain ol paint thinner.. It's cheap and works..

The water based solvent I first tried "etched" some metal parts I put in it and left to soak. It was dismal at cutting grease and didn't last anytime at all.

I use nothing but "varsol" (mineral spirits) that I can buy bulk at my local oil co.

Fairly safe and lasts a long, long, time!

Here ya go - works well for me..........

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom