Driveshafts like Butta (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Houston, Texas for now - Romance, MO soon!
Oh baby! I can stop and start without nary a shudder or thump!

Amazing that the splines all "seemed" to be coated with grease...clean grease at that. I was worried that my work would be in vain.

Cleaned everything up and slathered up the splines with Valvoline Palladium 3% moly (yes, they don't call for moly but this is a great application for moly) and man, what a difference.

I seem to remember someone, Landtank maybe, saying dshafts were better off with bearing grease :confused:

Junk said:
I seem to remember someone, Landtank maybe, saying dshafts were better off with bearing grease :confused:

I use plain old lithium-based wheel bearing grease in the u-joints cause they are spinning bearings after all.

But the slip yoke splines are sliding parts and are not exactly bathed in grease like a bearing in a cavity. The moly has great affinity for metal and will stay behind and provide some lubrication even if the visible grease in wiped off.

Is this the same thing you fixed?

I test drove a '97 today and it had what I would describe as a hitch or small shudder back and then forward when coming to a stop. Concerned that it was the sign of a bigger problem coming with the transmission. Sound similar to your problem ? For those less inclined to work on Land Cruisers without some professional help, can you provide a little more description to your fix? Thanks

drossh said:
I test drove a '97 today and it had what I would describe as a hitch or small shudder back and then forward when coming to a stop. Concerned that it was the sign of a bigger problem coming with the transmission. Sound similar to your problem ? For those less inclined to work on Land Cruisers without some professional help, can you provide a little more description to your fix? Thanks

Yes, the same issue, no doubt. This seems to be a pretty common problem with 80s and not a big deal. The splies are grabbing as the shaft tries to change length.

Just pull the dshaft, separate at the slip yoke, clean the splines and re-grease.

Refer to your FSM for correct u-joint orientation. I'd say put them back the way they were, but not all dealers/mechanics put them back together correctly so don't assume they are correct when they come apart....hint: one is in phase and one is out of phase.

Yes, this is meant as a tease to get you to research and/or get an FSM if you don't already have one :)

tim, he doesn't even own an 80 yet. should we expect newbies to buy an FSM while out shopping?

what tim is hinting at is that the front drive shafts of 80s are often installed "in phase" by mechanics because that is the norm but they are supposed to be out of phase. the hitch/shudder may also be your throttle cable out of adjustment. There is a FAQ on drivtrain clunks and noises that should help explain what in phase means and a write up in the tech section on how to do the throttle cable. Both are easy jobs and a good introduction to working on your truck.

Thanks from the Newbie

Found the FAQ link after my post. Amazed at the info you guys have put together. Sounds like an issue that can be addressed, but likely/possible to reappear.

I guess that leaves me with the last question - do you buy one with this issue, 125k miles and other wise in good condition from all appearances, for $13,000?

drossh,

prices vary by location. compare to other 80's in your area, but I would not be concerned about the "clunk". I have it too. No big deal.

wd

Does it have lockers?????
Cheers,
Sean

Yes it does. Would you recommend buying, despite the clunk? Price seems good for this area compared to waht else I have seen over the last couple months of looking.

i think i would crawl under and check for play ( rotate and move front/back the plates that mate up to the drive shafts at each end for play) before I bought. Do that and report back any front-back and rotatation play here. It is very likely nothing but you have not given us much to go on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom