Toyo Tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

good for a Vintage look. but maybe not practical today. I agree probably tough.

Cupping is when the lugs get a funny slanted kind of wear to them. Mike McTague (Land Cruiser Mike) first warned me about this when my tires were still brand new and he saw them mounted on the skinny rims.

An easy way to tell is by running your hand flat on the tread one way, then go back the opposite way. If it's cupped, it will feel smooth one way and you will feel ridges the other way. Cupping often happens to mud terrain tires and you get more road noise the worse it gets.

Air pressure probably has a large role in the cupping of my tires. With the rims being so skinny, and the tires bulging...it's hard to find the right air pressure that is ideal. I've been trying to look at the contact patch of my tires and adjusting my air pressure to match. So far I'm running 34psi in the front and 30 psi in the rear. Maybe still too high in my situation.

As far as alignment goes...I had the alignment done just before putting on the new tires. According to their fancy lasers, my alignment is good. Definitely considering 7-8" rims the next time around...luckily I got these tires cheap.

to get the proper air pressure, grab a chunck of chalk and draw a few wide lines across the face of the tire and drive it for a couple blocks then look at where the chalk has worn off and adjust acordingly...

hey stone, then I am guessing on the steel factory rims you would not suggest a 255 tire. ?? the 235 is better suited??

that chauk idea sounds good Wayne. I will have to give it a try.

I really think the ideal tire for the factory 16x6 is the 235...but that's just a personal opinion. I find that the 255 on my 6" rim bulges out way too much, and causes the abnormal wear.

Good tip with the chalk, Wayne...I'll give it a try when I get back from Kamloops.

Stone said:
Good tip with the chalk, Wayne...I'll give it a try when I get back from Kamloops.

You lucky bugger your goin after the big trout arent you!!!!!!!!!! :beer: :beer:

silvercrusher said:
You lucky bugger your goin after the big trout arent you!!!!!!!!!! :beer: :beer:

Yes I was. :D But the weather didn't cooperate...hailed on and threatened by lightning. Nothing big this time, just some chrome Kamloops Rainbows. Sheldon did fairly well...caught the biggest one of the trip. I even managed to get Greg B. to start learning how to cast a flyrod. :D

The first attached pic is of Sheldon (70sguy) with a chrome Kamloops Rainbow (Harry's holding the net for him).
The second attached pic is a close-up of one that I caught. The rainbow trout and it's cousin, the steelhead, are probably the most beautiful fish that I have ever seen.

Sorry for the poor pic quality...my picture pages are down right now.
01.jpg
02.jpg

sure glad i live far enough away that you can not corupt me... last thing i need is another hobby.

Ok here is a 235/85/r16 its a 10 ply V-steel VSX like the one pic above. I was able to get these from work to try for a bit. Or untill worn out. :)

its 32 diameter. it seems very tough. Don't know if it will air down nicely or not. I tired it on steep powerline tonight and they seemed to grab quite hard. One of the guys at the tire shop said he could lend me the grooving iron if they don't due well in any mud. But i will try first. Blades for the grooving iron are expensive.

The 235 seems to be a nice size. fits well and isn't too small.

Later down the road I might try a set of the Toyo M-55's. in the 255 size.

oh ya and ignore my nice rust. one day it gets cut out and patch panels in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom