FJ25 and Early FJ40 Soft Top Project. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a '63 FJ40 soft top model. I'm just a tire kicker as I don't have bows or doors and no reason to buy a softop with nothing to hold it up with...what is the ETA on bows?

foxfab said:
I have everything to make the tubular parts, I just need to look at the channel parts. What style bows do you need?

I don't know. I've never seen either. I imagine it should look like the 40 pictured above.

A Type Bows have a diagonal rear bow and folding middle bow. These have the bow clamp welded on the side of the tub. Think these were mostly on non-US trucks.
atype.JPG

B Type bows have fixed vertical rear bows. These have the bow clamps welded in the corner of the tub.
btype.JPG

So Mike, Jim...you guys been having fun sniffing old canvas and dressing up your rigs? :D The pictures are of a stock and fabed channel parts, on the square tube one and a half sides are cut away and welded to a piece of sheet bent into a V...the PO even did a roll on the lip like stock to avoid tearing the canvas...
P6010002.jpg
P6010004.jpg

Hey Phil,

I've been holdin out on Mike........ :D I actually didn't get a chance to take it out of the box until tonight.
Taking those exact pieces you pictured around to a couple metal shops tomorrow, shouldn't be a problem to knock them out.

Cruiser_Nerd said:
A Type Bows have a diagonal rear bow and folding middle bow. These have the bow clamp welded on the side of the tub. Think these were mostly on non-US trucks.

I must need B-type. My 40 has the post clamps in the back corner of the tub.

ya, I've been a little busy and havent had time to work on anything. The town has been cracking down on me and all of the vehicle carcasses in my yard :( So, I've been cleaning up all of that stuff. Just got my carb back froim California too so I can move the 25 again after I install it.

Found someone to do the shape for the door bows (only one guy figured out how to do it as a single piece, everyone else said it had to be two like Phil's picture). Should be around $15 each. This is just the shape as bent stock in a 30" length, you would have to miter the ends and add your own hardware.

We're making a few of these to fix my bows and make another trial set of bows for now......but if anyone wants just the rough piece to do their own speak up.

Cruiser_Nerd said:
Found someone to do the shape for the door bows (only one guy figured out how to do it as a single piece, everyone else said it had to be two like Phil's picture). Should be around $15 each. This is just the shape as bent stock in a 30" length, you would have to miter the ends and add your own hardware.

We're making a few of these to fix my bows and make another trial set of bows for now......but if anyone wants the just the rough piece to do their own speak up.

Which pieces are these? Are they parts for the door or parts for the main bow that the upper half of the door would close on?

These are part of the bows, directly over and behind the doors that the door closes on, and the top slides into.

Just a piece of the puzzle and not much good without the rest of the bows. I posted up since I know some people need only these pieces and might want to finish them on their own.

so it'll take 4 of those 30" pieces (cut down to suit) to fab a frame....lemme see, sign me up for......14?

Phil, I included four for you as a good faith on the rental...................let me know if you seriously want more than four total.

John P, I have you down for four, but I think you may only need two?

Why don't you take some detailed photos of the early 40 bows, make some traces/sketches and send them to Pakistan? Ehsan could do these way more economically than any US shop. If you could get it done quick enough, we could get in on the next group buy.

Dan

We wouldn't be reinventing the wheel if we didn't think it was the best way to go. ;)

Thanks Jim, preciate it...still could use 10, have three rigs that will need bows, replace that one piece pictured, and one to screw up...I know I could move tops and bows rig to rig, but I hope not to be so blessed with so many in the distant future...might go for 2 tops, also

Archie-

Read my post that started this thread. We'd like the canvas to be between $750 and $1000. The bows are something we would like to do in the future, and would be separate. All of this is tentative and dependant on who we have do the canvas work. If the target price doesn't :eek: you, we'll figure you in the count.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom