Custom GPS mount - detailed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well after finally getting all the parts together and figuring out a ground loop problem, I now have my Street Pilot III mounted with external amplified speakers. In my 88 4Runner I sold to get my 94 LC, I had non-powered speakers up in the headliner for the voice navigation of my Garmin. Well I didn't feel like bringing down the headliner of the LC, but I still wanted to listen to the radio, and hear the GPS better. So it started with finding a cheap set of powered speakers for $5 at Spencers (on clearance).
speakers.jpg

First thing I did was cut them up :) all I wanted was the actual speaker since they work by resonating the air or surface they are attached to. I also like them since they had an external audio control and can be powered by 9V. 12V would have been better but thats ok. So used I a universal car voltage adapter to take give it the 9V and at least 800mA( Walmart sells one 3-12V @ 2A for ~$15). I already knew where I wanted to mount the speakers... a nice hidden place:
GPS_mount3.jpg

Yep, under the center console, and they came with double sided stick tape that was attached to the inflatable material. The audio control is under the e-brake handle:
GPS_mount4.jpg

So I figured I was almost set except for a mount. I decided to test out the Garmin with the powered speakers.... buzzing is all I got when it tried to speak and both the speakers and Garmin were powered by the car. Unplugging the Garmins power and running it on the AA batteries worked fine. After several troubleshooting attempts and searching on google I found my problem was a ground loop. So back to walmart and got a Ground Loop Isolator ($14). This breaks the physical ground connection by basically have 2 matched coils and transfer the signal by magnetic field. (If I understood the explaination correctly).

Finally, I have voice when both devices are powered. Now where do I mount my Garmin. My 94's dash is sloped, and I don't want a slanted screen. The 95 and newer dashes have that convenent ledge :flipoff2: So. I used the same technique of mounting the GPS in my 89 Supra. What do I need an ash tray for anyway... I don't smoke.
SO with a 2x4 cut to 12inches, and some widdling.. I got this:
GPS_mount2.jpg

Fits very snug, its not going to move unless its a hard collision. I know its not pretty, but when you don't have all the tools you would like you make due... Hacksaw, dremel tool and chisel & hammer.

I did not want a suction cup mount because of putting up Sun shades... they always get in the way. Also, if people don't notice it in the window, it won't attract as much attention. Another benifit... all the mods I do, I try to make reverseable, without any damage left over.

So this is how it looks with and without the GPS mounted to it:
GPS_mount.jpg

GPS_mount1.jpg

Yes the CD player opens fine and the disc comes out no problem just above the top of the GPS. Only thing I can't get to is my CD case directly behind the GPS, but with mp3 CD's I don't have to change the CD that often :)

I can also attach anything else do the external amplified speakers such as my PDA, CB (as an external speaker) or a laptop and still listen to the radio. And total cost of about $40 (including $6 for misc. audio adapters, some of which I had already)

I think I could cut the cost, by taking the powered speakers to 12V since the specs of the audio IC in it has a max of 12V and peak of 15V. I didn't want to risk it really, unless anyone knows of a constant source of 12V without varying value?

Just thought I'd post this to give anyone else ideas for projects, and any comments are welcome.
-Gary

I don't understand what those speaker things are??? I have heard of people using the front dash speakers for CB, etc., since they don't do much, especially if you upgrade the door speakers.
With all your 12v accessories, looks like time for a distribution block! :)

Last edited:
Gary,

I like that hiding place for the speakers. It looks like there might be enough room to mount the volume control under the console along with the speakers. You might be able to adapt a solid blank in place of one of the coin holders for access to the volume knob.

Thanks for posting.
-B-

Thanks, Beowulf nice idea for the volume knob I'll look into that and I am planning on cleaning up the wiring by putting it under the console. I don't put money in the coin slots anyway :)

As for the seat LX.. I bought it that way. I haven't found a place that can fix the stitching yet, but other than that its only a little worn (200k miles on it), nothing a little dye and conditioner can't fix.

The reason I didn't want to use the front speakers are 2 things, they work and sound ok with the stereo I have in there, and 2... they aren't powered anyway. SO it would not help the volume from the GPS as the speaker it came with is not powered either... but I guess I could hook the amplifier to them.
Think of those inflatable speakers almost like piezo speakers, but the sound is amplified by mounting to a flat piece of plastic and then the inflatable part adds a little more depth. LOL I wonder why they were on clearance... I wouldn't buy them for their intended purpose (computer speakers) and the nice thing is the speakers unplug from the amplifier by mono-headphone jacks... so I could use other speakers if these die out.

Plugged into the 4 outlets are.. radar detector, GPS, DC converter 3-12V, and CB and that is tapped into the wiring going to the cigarette lighter. Haven't blown a fuse yet, probably because not all are on at the same time, but we shall see.

I guess I have never hear of inflateable speakers before :frown: , interesting idea! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom