Just when you think you know everything! Lift question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I scheduled an appointment at the 4x4 doctor this week for a OME 2" lift, caster bushings, steering stabilizer, and some 285 BFG A/T's (or maybe 305's... need info on bump stop adjustment procedure), but I saw the thread referencing J springs and a truckload of modifications that go along with the lift (ie brake lines, this bar, that bar, etc.).

Are there any mandatory mods that go with a standard 850/863 2" lift? What the hell is a J spring? FWIW, this is my first LC and I just bought it in April.

Thanks,
Brian

J springs is a 3inch lift, the regular 850/863's are a 2-2.5inch lift. Are you going to run an ARB bullbar on front? If so you might want the J's or you could jsut add a coil spacer to the front to level it out.

Come to think of it I wonder what all I'll need to replace when I put my lift on this summer.

The ARB is on order! I'll probably do a Kaymar rear... but that a ways down the road. Hmm. Maybe I'll install the kit, then determine if a spacer is needed after I get the ARB on.

This get's discussed regularly. I bought extended brake lines and a Slee front swaybar drop block. Both items together set you back about $140...good insurance policy in my book.

I might have gotten by ok without the longer lines (maybe not after another 20mm which are on the way), but my front driveshaft was rubbing on my bar when flexing the 50mm heavy lift.

I just ordered my ARB, too. It is supposed to hit Washington on the 20th. I wonder if ours are in the same container on the way over?

tarbe said:
I just ordered my ARB, too. It is supposed to hit Washington on the 20th. I wonder if ours are in the same container on the way over?

Yea, they are all in a container together, and the one non-winch model is hunkered down shivering in the corner, embarassed as the other bars are laughing and pointing, saying "LOOK!!! It's one of the birth defect NON-WINCH models...how sad!!!" :D :D :D :D

I have OME heavy springs, front and rear (non-J). An ARB front winch bumper (no winch), as well as slee sliders and slee's rear bumper/tire carrier.

I have not extended brake lines, nor added drop blocks, modified bump stops, etc.

For what you describe, I think all you'd need to do is adjust the LSPV.

Info on LSPV here.

That said, if you plan on adding spacers (front and/or rear), etc. all this possibly goes out the window...

Jim - REAL funny... I actually ordered the non-winch. I was back-and-forth 'til I actually placed the order. Figured I could always get money back out of it if I decided to go winch. Of course, now I'm second guessing.

Doug - I like your setup. I think I'll go with that until something rubs or breaks!

I ordered the bumper from rocky-road.com... anyone ever deal with them? I got a really vague answer as to when I should expect to receive it.

brianinaustin said:
...Doug - I like your setup. I think I'll go with that until something rubs or breaks!
Thanks. Aside from being the "lowrider" of the NorCal group...I'm happy with it. :D

brianinaustin said:
I ordered the bumper from rocky-road.com... anyone ever deal with them? I got a really vague answer as to when I should expect to receive it.
Probably because they don't have one in stock and are going to have it drop shipped from ARB. Seems to be the way they do business sometimes.

I've got the same setup as Doug except 1" spacers in the front ... the brake lines were streached during the install, but I haven't had any trouble out on the trail. Is LCS installing your lift for you?

Tucker

brianinaustin said:
The ARB is on order! I'll probably do a Kaymar rear... but that a ways down the road. Hmm. Maybe I'll install the kit, then determine if a spacer is needed after I get the ARB on.

If your new front and rear springs are pretty much equal height unmounted, I expect you'll have a 2" nose droop when you install the springs. If you don't like the stink bug look, it would be a good idea to get 1" spacers for the front so you can install them at the same time. I doubt handling will be affected by the presence or absence of the spacer, just looks and personal satisfaction.

It's a good time to check your shocks. I think for road use a 2" lift won't bother them much, but you will be losing 2" of extension with the lift so depending on how and where you drive, you might want to look for longer shocks.

Your headlights will probably need a little adjusting. Check them out after the lift by counting the scowling faces you see in opposing traffic. They can actually become more effective beams by being pointed down a bit as they then point at the road more clearly after the lift.

Kalawang

NorCalDoug said:
I have OME heavy springs, front and rear (non-J). An ARB front winch bumper (no winch), as well as slee sliders and slee's rear bumper/tire carrier.

I have not extended brake lines, nor added drop blocks, modified bump stops, etc.

For what you describe, I think all you'd need to do is adjust the LSPV.

Info on LSPV here.

That said, if you plan on adding spacers (front and/or rear), etc. all this possibly goes out the window...

JUst did this mod....took a quick second. Dropped the rear tire out and enjoyed the bottom of my rig. Took the spacing from about 90mm to a little over 96mm. Have not driven it yet to try it out and see if it is balanced enough for my liking.

No, not LCS, 4WheelParts. You recommend LCS?

Yeah... I'm changing the shocks at the same time. I may evaluate the stink bug look and go from there.

As far as "dropping the rear tire out and enjoying the bottom of your rig"... I'm scared to ask for clarification on that one.

elmariachi said:
Yea, they are all in a container together, and the one non-winch model is hunkered down shivering in the corner, embarassed as the other bars are laughing and pointing, saying "LOOK!!! It's one of the birth defect NON-WINCH models...how sad!!!" :D :D :D :D

ROTFLMAO!

Why should my bar be any more normal or less ridiculed than me? :D

I can't explain why many folks seem to be able to run 2" - 3" of lift without the front driveshaft carving on the sway bar, while I and some others have to put the block in. You wouldn't think there would be that much variation from spring set to spring set or rig to rig.

Maybe once I add my ARB and Hanna sliders.....wait a minute. What happens if my sliders start making fun of my non-winch bumper? I smell trouble brewing!

Just keep a close eye on your d-shaft...

brianinaustin said:
No, not LCS, 4WheelParts. You recommend LCS?

Yeah... I'm changing the shocks at the same time. I may evaluate the stink bug look and go from there.

As far as "dropping the rear tire out and enjoying the bottom of your rig"... I'm scared to ask for clarification on that one.

If you aren't involved with Lone Star Land Cruisers/Edwin Kincaid/LCS, you should be. 4 Wheel Parts aren't nearly as qualified as he is to work on Cruisers.

tarbe said:
I can't explain why many folks seem to be able to run 2" - 3" of lift without the front driveshaft carving on the sway bar, while I and some others have to put the block in. You wouldn't think there would be that much variation from spring set to spring set or rig to rig.

Maybe once I add my ARB and Hanna sliders.....wait a minute. What happens if my sliders start making fun of my non-winch bumper? I smell trouble brewing!

Just keep a close eye on your d-shaft...

Has a lot to do with if or how much caster correction, and hence pinion angle you have.

I ran J's with spacers up front with no swaybar modification and no caster correction, had no carving.

As soon as I bolted on the caster correction plates with no sway bar drops, I had carvage.

Now with 1.5" swaybar drops all is well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom