Herculiner Bed Liner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just finished coating the inside of my tub with Herculiner.

Here are a few tips I've come up with from my experience.

One gallon is enough for one coat of the inside of the tub, with about a quart left for touch up and double coating areas with that will undergo more wear.

When applying the first coat, if you notice somewhere is a little thin, don't think you'll just get it with the second coat. It's nearly impossible to apply an entire even second coat. Because of the texture you can't see where you've applied a second coat. So you just basically look around for "holidays" and touch em up. But they're hard to find and I'm sure I missed a bunch. So make sure that first coat is thick and covers really well.

The directions read "mask off all areas that you wish not to be coated". My suggestion is to drape a peice of plastic over anything with in a quarter mile of your truck cause the s*** goes everywhere!!! I just masked off the lines where I wanted the paint to stop. But I didn't cover everything. So there's some splooge on the bell houseing, a little on a fender, here and there. So if you've got a really nice rig, cover everything.

Over all I'd have to say for $100, it's great. I hope it lasts, but i'll be getting a new tub in a couple years anyhow! It's easy to apply. Prep sucks, but that just comes with painting anything.

Oh yeah, I had the priveledge of a real paint shaker machine. The rubber particles seemed to be well mixed. But if you don't have one I'd spend some serious time stirring, otherwise the grit will be very uneven. I noticed when I got to the bottom of the can the paint got really really thick with the rubber. I probably could've mixed a little between coats.

Anyway as far as application it's cheap and easy. We'll have to see how it holds up.

Mike

Yeah thanks, I'll be doing my trailer soon! Hope it holds up.

Thanks for the tips. I'm planning on herculining mine too. What kind of prep did you have to do? Does new metal have to be primed with a specific primer?

Rob

I herculined mine about 2 years ago and it is still holding up very well. All I have to say, you reaaly make your money in prepping.

I did the entire interior of my FJ55 and it is holding up well. The only place it is worn is where I gouged it when reinstalling my seats. As a bonus, it also helped to cut down the noise from the Flowmaster. Hodag

an idea for a place to apply extra stuff:
the d/s floorboard; all of it twice, and the spot on the tranny hump just to the right of the gas pedal. those are the only places that have worn and not been due to my stupidity (...).

also, let it cure for a good long time. i tossed my toolbox and sparetire in the back of the tub maybe 8 hours after i was done and it kind of wrinkled up. those spots are now ripped up and no longer covered.

and yes, prepwork is the key. do a crappy job, you'll get a crappy bedliner. period.

malphrus
(i did mine with durabak, same principles apply)

Prep work blows goats, but as you all said and with any painting, it's the key. I love to apply paint, it's fun and looks good at the end. If it wasn't for prep work I'd be a professional painter.

skiakhokie said:
Prep work blows goats, but as you all said and with any painting, it's the key. I love to apply paint, it's fun and looks good at the end. If it wasn't for prep work I'd be a professional painter.

I am going to be doing this - just need the wind to settle down and the weather to warm up -

What prep - did you all take the rubbery pieces off the flooring?

Did you sand the whole tub?

I just wanna make damn sure I get this prep thing perfect - any hints would be appreciated!

Yes, you will need to remove the insulation "rubbery stuff". You will need to scuff or completely remove all paint with a weire brush or sandpaper! Its all a real pain in the :censor:

I did my bed in my Fj40, because the P.O. had thrown a rubber mat, that held water..... I hit all the rust with a wire brush on a 90 degree grinder. liberally applied the herculiner. it looks o.k. a lot better than old rusty nasties. definantly a cheap, quick, not much labor fix.

it's peeled/chipped in a few spots (edges of bed ridges. sound familiar?) from having 30 lb tool boxes jumbling around on the trails.:bounce:

I herculiner my cj8 and I will never use herculiner again. It has been abused and held up as far as no peeling. I even put the extra UV protection on it, but it is wearing off. The coating between all the pieces of rubber is slowly disappearing and you can now see some of the paint showing through. It is not peeling off, just wearing thin do to sun exposure.

I did mine with duraback in the sand color. Prepped the crap out of it with all the necessary steps including the mountain of prep work for the POR I put down first. I sprayed it in with the gun that comes with the Raptor kit, a guy gave it to me. Went in very well and has held up great but I am already wishing I had painted it to match my mustard stock color, I still might see what a top coat of mustard looks like.
104_3089.jpg
104_3096.jpg

I herculined the bed of my 55 truck project. I probably should have given it more time to dry as there are 1 or 2 small scuffs from when I moved. I painted it over por-15 and it's held up really well. I made sure to scuff the por. I like it a lot too, although I wouldn't want to fall on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom