FJ60 axle shaving (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.trailcarnage.com
The following is a description of how I shaved my FJ60 axle for better ground clearance and rinr gear protection. Beware of dial-up as there are many pictures :grinpimp:

Step 1: Take a guestimate at how much should be cut away based on the Mini Truck write-ups that I have seen online.
Step 2: Take a little more as I am greedy :D .
Step 3: Bend a Dia. 1.5" X t0.25" DOM tube to fit around the ring gear.
Step 4: Cut the tube in half and fit it over the ring gear.
Step 5: Fit t1/4" pieces to close in the PS of the ring gear.
Step 6: Weld, grind and polish the pieces previosly fitted
Step 7: Fit t1/4" pices to close the DS of the ring gear.
Step 8: Weld, grind and polish the pieces previously fitted.
Step 9: Weld the interior of the housing, using Crisco as an anti-spatter. (If you find the MSD for any high-end anit-spatter applicant, it refers to de-hygrodenated vegetable oil. This is Crisco.)
Step 10: Post your crap online and wait for feedback and heckling. :eek:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Last edited:
That seems like a lot of work. Looks cool though.

I'm curious on the clearance gained as well....

I've had my drain plugs shaved for years, easy enuf to pull the bottom stud of the diff to drain

what'd ya gain, 1/2"?? - course, gains will depend a bit on how tipped up your pinion is in front too....

Thats some badass work, what size tubing is that and what is the wall thickness?

I expect to gain about at least ½” at the lowest point of the mohawk. I should clear over 1” in other areas of the shave. My intentions were not only to gain clearance but also to ditch the drain plug give a smooth ramp, beef-up the housing in this area and have an excuse to drink some beer in the garage while enjoying my favorite activity…metal fab. J All in all, it wasn’t that much work. The full job took about 4 hrs.

Woody- I am rotating the pinion up considerably. I am itching to verify the gained clearance. Are you interested in swapping dimensions?

I've got a tape measure.... :D - my front pinion is rotated up 12 degrees or so, no drain plug, unshaved otherwise....

woody said:
I've got a tape measure.... :D - my front pinion is rotated up 12 degrees or so, no drain plug, unshaved otherwise....

I will check when I get home. BTW, aren't you supposed to be working or something, like me.

EDIT: What caster are you running?

Last edited:
Here is the skinny on clearance measurements:

With the pinion set flat there is about 3.75" of seperation between the bottom of the axle tube(at it's highest point) and the lowest point of the diff area (bottom of the DOM) With the pinion rotated to 12 degrees is drops to 3.25". With the pinion rotated to 25 degrees (my guestimated target) it drops to 2.75". The actual plating is another 3/8" above this at it's lowest point.

Whatcha got for comparison Woody?

I'll be in the shop tonite....will get measurements then...loaded up for a wheelin trip too :D

caster is in the +3-4 range, total knuckle rotation was 15* from stock, pinion is about 12* up.

woody said:
I'll be in the shop tonite....will get measurements then...loaded up for a wheelin trip too :D

caster is in the +3-4 range, total knuckle rotation was 15* from stock, pinion is about 12* up.

Where you off to? I can't wait to get my rig straight so I can go. i may go to the pipeline for Memorial day if I can afford some new tires by then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom