Unstoppable 80 meets immovable object (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

scottm

SILVER Star
Threads
Beowulf said:
Scott,
Not trying to hi-jack this (now waning) thread, but what's the story on the deceased '97?

-B-
My career change from airline pilot to crash test dummy. I hit a construction crane on the side of the highway Jan 2. I don't remember it. Doug has more pics, he sent them to me, but I haven't figured out what format they're in. I never saw the truck, just a couple pics. You can see the ARB bumper wrapped over the engine compartment. There's nothing in front of the front tires. They cut the post between the doors to get me out. I hear the engine is visible next to the driver's seat, that's probably what broke my femur. Unfortunately USAA makes you pay a lot to get a totalled car back, so it, and all the new parts I put on the night before, is gone.

I haven't been back to flying yet, still too much of a limp. I'm working out, riding, feeling good. The docs say I'll be back to running and biking as before, but so far just biking and lifting. It's amazing I'll be basically 100% other than a titanium rod in my leg. I credit God and the Landcruiser, although mostly God. This is why it's worth the extra expense for my family to be in our remaining Landcruiser. Unfortunately, I'm going to stick with a very inexpensive Subaru 'till our finances sort themselves out. For now, I'm on disability, and working full-time as a project engineer at a machine shop. My side job, which I love doing. Lots of cool stuff to play with there.
LC1.JPG

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you are doing well....AMAZING. BTW How fast were you going when the immovable object appeared in front of you?

wow man....sorry to hear. glad you were in a cruiser...anything smaller it could have been much worse.

That's incredible. Glad to hear you're okay and that things are looking up. Wow!

Get any pics of the crane?

Damn, that gives me goosebumps. Glad to hear you turned out ok. Thank god you were in a Cruiser.

Cruisin'Carolina said:
:eek:

Wow! Glad you are Ok....that is amazing.

I'll add a :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

to that! THat is amazing that you are still alive. True miracle.

Thank God and the cruiser that you're alive and well. Do you have any more pictures of the cruiser from another view?

Not as clear, I'm expecting Doug will come up with a few, it's still early in Idaho. I'm off to bed.
LC3.JPG

That must have been some accident. Glad your on the mend and hope no one else was hurt

Just curious if you had your seatbelt on? I usually don't wear mine..... might be a reason to.

ogsuv said:
Just curious if you had your seatbelt on? I usually don't wear mine..... might be a reason to.

Well it is better to get thrown free and clear of a vehicle when in an accident. No worry of getting caught in that twisted wreck! I would put butter on any burns you get from the ordeal as well.

:grinpimp:

wow thank god you are alive and were driving a cruiser it cannot be said enough

syrinxstar said:
Well it is better to get thrown free and clear of a vehicle when in an accident. No worry of getting caught in that twisted wreck! I would put butter on any burns you get from the ordeal as well.

:grinpimp:
Hope your not serious, if you got "thrown clear" from that accident, I guarantee you would have been thrown headfirst into the crane and at that speed, be dead before you hit the ground. If I remember correctly Scott is a "safe" guy, I'd bet he had a seatbelt on.

Scott- glad you are doing good and getting better, thank God!

EDIT: syrinxstar, now that I see the smilie, I think you are kidding, so I was just preaching to the choir (and ogsuv, wear you seatbelt dude, we want you to stick around for a while! ;) )

Scott,

First, I will join the chorus in saying that I am glad you are OK. You don't mention the family so I guess you were travelling alone? If not, I hope your family and any other passengers are also OK. It is a miracle that anyone survived that terrible accident.

Some guys discount the value of the air bags in the 95 and up vehicles but it looks to me that the driver side air bag may have saved your manly good looks if not your life.

-B-

Scott glad you are alive, bummer you are hurt, looks/sounds like a bad wreck, any other injuries besides the leg? I saw something recently that airbags have really cut down on upper body injuries but leg injuries still continue,

Sounds like there was cab intrusion any pics of the dash area? Otherwise the axle stayed where is should (major source of injury) and from the outside the cab stayed close to cab shape , Any idea on the speed of impact?

If you will send the pics you cannot open to raventai at yahoo dot com and I’ll see if I can open them, if so I will convert to .jpg (if needed) and host & post them.

BTW putting a Toyota Emblem on a Mad Dog is sacrilegious.

very glad you are ok. that photo is food for thought.

if you are up to discussing it, I would like to know what happened just to put that much damage into perspective.

hope you get back flying soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom