CO2 tank build and costs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trunk Monkey

Threads
Just got done building my CO2 set-up. Here's where I got things and the costs:

New 10lb. CO2 tank - Ebay (DB Entertainment) - $75 plus $15 shipping
Tank bracket - 4x4rockshop.com - $45
150psi static regulator with quick connector - 4x4rockshop - $35
Handle - 4x4rockshop - $40
Shipping for bracket, regulator, and handle - $12

Total comes to $222. I used 4x4rockshop because they accepted Paypal and I had some cash there, but all the items came straight from Cramer Decker.

So, in hindsight, I would and should have just ordered one from the couple of sources on this forum. Plus it'd be painted and have the Line-x bottom. No affiliation with any vendor, just showing that you don't necessarily save any cash making one on your own.

Last edited:
Yep, shoulda went with Outback Air. The CDI regulators are crap. Outback doesn't use them and has found a much more reliable source. Also, the Outback regulators have a cleaner finish w/o all those plugs and sealing tape showing. Also, the Outback handle takes up much less space than the PowerTank handle shown.

Thanks for pointing out the cost similarities Cory. People need to know. Good luck with your system.

Jody.

The CDI regulators are crap-

can you elaborate on this Jody. What make them crap?

Also what is a good quick disconnect to use that will not freeze and leak?

desertdude said:
I have THIS regulator - my only complaint is the quick disconnect it leaks badly and is new... :crybaby:

Have you put any tape on where the connector attaches? I assume the quick connector could be easily replaced with stuff from a Lowes/Home Depot or even W-mart. There is a small washer/seal that is usually between the regulator and the tank--a leak could be there also.

Good luck.

Pasquale,
I have the same Hyperflo Max and it doesn't leak at all.
Maybe it's a bad fiber washer or something? They give you free washers at the CO2 fill places...

Do you have teflon tape at the leak? I was told on the fittings not to use teflon tape as it may leak. I did try a fitting w/ teflon tape and it leaked. Took off the tape and it was tight.

I see alot of fittings w/ teflon tape so I really don't know the answer. For me, w/o tape works.

FZJFillmore said:
So, in hindsight, I would and should have just ordered one from the couple of sources on this forum. Plus it'd be painted and have the Line-x bottom. No affiliation with any vendor, just showing that you don't necessarily save any cash making one on your own.

I call bs on the last part. I have bought three tanks, from 10 to 20lb for 10.00 each.

hydro test if needed (good for 5 years) 20.00
regulator 15.00 (pawn shop)
CO2 about a 1.00 per pound
Bracket was 10.00 at fire safety store

j

You must be putting on the knee pads at the fire safety store, best price I could find on the bracket at an extinguisher shop was $50

If you're making them so cheap, you should be selling them. :rolleyes: You may not be about aesthetics, but let's see a pic of your $45 system.

Last edited:
I did the same thing before I got my CO2 outfit. I priced out individual parts and different places, etc. but all the running around and researching it... it was just easier and cheaper to get a kit, for me anyway.
The price isnt that bad and you certainly feel it's worth it when airing up or using air tools.

James, My Reg is fine it is the quick disconnect that is leaking. I am guessing that the seals inside the QD are bad and freezing up. They are using a 4 ball QD .Steve at CDI is sending a new one for me. He said there appeared to be a batch that was bad. Excellent CS BTW. I will test out the new QD after CM05 to see if it helps. Otherwise I will track down a 6 Ball QD with teflon seals on my own...

Cost me 25-27 bucks to fill a 20# tank at a Fire Extinguisher place

desertdude said:
Cost me 25-27 bucks to fill a 20# tank at a Fire Extinguisher place

You might try and track down either a welding shop or beverage supply place. IIRC it was $15 to fill my 20lb. tank. Haven't taken the 10lb. in yet.

I got jiggy with the Rusto Hardhat White and some Herculiner for the bottom. Also found a place for the big ARB sticker I've had hanging around forever. I'll have to tell people I'm "trail testing" their new Co2 set-up.

Last edited:
The beverage places want to swap the tank. Have not been to a welding place yet. I live in Sedona we don't have $$it for service here :)

I'm only speaking about their 150 psi static regulators.

CDI used to be my OEM for Outback Air CO2 systems when we first started out. I had several regs bad from the get-go that had to be replaced. And, they just don't have a nice finished look to them with that plugged port on top. I didnt' use them for long.

Our quality went up dramatically when we went exclusively with Coilhose Pneumatics brass parts -- couplers, connectors, polyurethane hose kits, etc. Coilhose parts are top-notch.

I suggest you find a Coilhose distributor around and buy your brass fittings from them. They always fit and I have yet to have a coupler leak when under extended use and frosting up.

Good luck man, holler with any other questions...

BTW, I like the paint job and herculiner! :grinpimp: Oh, and you owe Rick(Razor) and Outback Equipped something for using their white with protective coating on the bottom trademarked color scheme on your tank!! :doh: :D :cheers:

Jody.

desertdude said:
The beverage places want to swap the tank. Have not been to a welding place yet. I live in Sedona we don't have $$it for service here :)

thats why i run a cheep steel tank... when i get to a place that only swaps tanks i say no prob.... and you need to find a big welding suply place, the small stores only swap as well. One other thing when the the tank need to be re-tested with my steel tank i just swap it. If you have one of those $$ (AL) tanks you cant do this. Just me $.02

FZJFillmore said:
You must be putting on the knee pads at the fire safety store, best price I could find on the bracket at an extinguisher shop was $50

If you're making them so cheap, you should be selling them. :rolleyes: You may not be about aesthetics, but let's see a pic of your $45 system.

no knee pads, just finding the right shop and I didn't say it was new

Used fire extinguishers are the way to go, or find them at the flee market.

I have no use in selling them, as I have only found three, but I wasn't looking everyday. Flee markets and antique stores will have the old fire extinguishers.

Nothing to take a picture of anyway. just a tank, regulator with a 1/4 npt quick release and a curly hose.

Last edited:
z80 said:
Used fire extinguishers are the way to go, or find them at the flee market.
Any pictures of these? Can you just ask for a used CO2 tank, or is the tank used for something else previously but will work for CO2?

Great info about this, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom