Best anti theft trickery? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seems this issue was covered a bit awhile back. And the consensus was, if someone wants your truck bad enough they will get it. That being said, I would still like to make it difficult for the bastids.

Planning a camping trip to the everglades, taking the boat/ some beer/ fishing equipment etc and some skeeter nets. The theft issues occur when we leave the 80 in a remote spot and head out on the boat for 5 days.

I want to leave the battery plugged in so at least the alarm will sound(maybe it will attract pissed off gators). Thought about pulling some fuses and taking them with me(starter fuse for example) Other ideas? The Everglades are close to a port that allegedly ships stolen 4x4's around the globe. :eek:

wd

Pull the EFI fuse. If the car is going to be in the middle of nowhere, a sounding alarm won't deter them. But, if they break in, turn the ignition, and nothing happens... battery cables are probably the first place they'd look. EFI fuse is harder to find.

You could also have the emergency brake on and put the transfer in neutral. Maybe if they find the missing fuse and replace it, they may not know to put it in 4hi to get it going.

Just some quick ideas.

Also there is a plug just behind the passengers door under the body on the USDS that goes to the fuel pump. If you unplug this the truck isn't going anywhere under it's own power. I think combining this with pulling the EFI fuse would deter anyone from driving off with your truck. For good measure you could also take your coil wire with you.

shocker said:
Pull the EFI fuse. If the car is going to be in the middle of nowhere, a sounding alarm won't deter them. But, if they break in, turn the ignition, and nothing happens... battery cables are probably the first place they'd look. EFI fuse is harder to find.

You could also have the emergency brake on and put the transfer in neutral. Maybe if they find the missing fuse and replace it, they may not know to put it in 4hi to get it going.

Just some quick ideas.

Darwood said:
Also there is a plug just behind the passengers door under the body on the USDS that goes to the fuel pump. If you unplug this the truck isn't going anywhere under it's own power. I think combining this with pulling the EFI fuse would deter anyone from driving off with your truck. For good measure you could also take your coil wire with you.

Both of you not good :flipoff2: ... what if they decide to tow whole damn truck heh? :banana:

Darwood said:

There is no way in hell I would leave my 80 in the Everglades for 5 days. You might was well leave go ahead and leave the keys :eek: so that whoever gets it can enjoy it without having to buy a new ignition set, because its a sure enough target. But Darwood's suggestions sound pretty good.

Last edited:
LX_TREME said:
Both of you not good :flipoff2: ... what if they decide to tow whole damn truck heh? :banana:

They can do that no matter what the hell you do, so it's a moot point to even talk about it.

brake light bulb? (shifter won't work)

I have seen heeps with locks to hold the pedals together, maybe some type of lock that prevents the brake from being depressed or one that holds it down? Either way you have brake issues if you try to move it.

Use the trailer as part of the defense, since towing will be on their menu. An excellent hitch lock, and an excellent trailer lock would be a good investment. They won't tow it if they can't separate them. The above suggestions on the EFI fuse (nice to get a spare, then roast the old one so it's still got a fuse in place) and the plug connector (make it look still plugged in if possible, not hanging down obviously) are good. Serious car stealers like this will be able to glance around for switches and pulled fuses, so if your changes are not obvious it's in your favor. Tires at full lock and a steering wheel club. Finally, put the following note on your dash in plain sight. I have used the same 3X5 card (keep it looking new in the owner's manual) for over 10 years as I often leave my truck at trailheads.

"Guys, we have your extra ammo with us. We'll meet you here at the truck."

That's it. No date. No times. Nothing for them to go on. All they know is some guys have guns and they'll be meeting here some time soon. Maybe very soon. Maybe not.

Rent a truck to tow the boat and leave it. $200 vs. cost of another cruiser

Just unplug your ignitor, it's easy to do and your engine will crank over all day long.

A nice big Rottie in the back maybe?

Not practical though for long term I suppose.

Trailer chained to truck, wheels at lock, club on steering wheel, battery removed, fuses pulled.

So, at least it still may be there after they trash it 'cuz they can't steal it.........:rolleyes:

What about the Kill Switch idea? I used to have one on a truck of mine. Not sure how it was hooked into the electrical system, but the switch itself was under the bottom edge of the dash. Very difficult for anybody to find it, even if they knew it was there.

SS

All the above, back it up to a tree, front wheels full locked. Remove one of the rear wheels and spare, and take them with you. That may just piss them off though.

Rookie2, you also forgot to chain it to the tree :D

I was just going to say, chain the truck and trailer to a tree. If you have a distributor, take the rotor with you! :D That'd piss em off!! Or, if you've ever seen Mr. Bean, take your steering wheel with you. Maybe even driveshaft. Hell, take your battery while you're at it! :rolleyes: Lots of possibilities. Pull your spark plugs and make it look like they're still there. :grinpimp: Oh, put a tack on the drivers seat!! :flipoff2:

Why not have a friend / relative drop you and your stuff off
and call or plan a pick-up time.

I can't believe nobody thought of this... cover it up with a bunch of leafy tree branches, a la the Duke Boys. Coo Coo Coo.. I-love-it, I-love-it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom