Repro data tags (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.yankeetoys.org
I just dropped off the artwork to a local shop to get pricing on the firewall tags. I'll keep ya posted.

Vin_Plate_final_%5b3%5dtn_.JPG

Last edited:
the shop now wants a letter from Toyota USA authorizing the work. Gawd Damn!!! These things are 45 years old!!! Anyway, I called Toyota and spoke to a Mr. Biggs in the legal department. I sent him the artwork abnd he is reviewing it. It sounds like Toyota will only do it for each specific case which would mean that anyone who needed one would need to get their own letter from them. But I'll let you know when I hear from him.

Mr. Biggs eh? They make that one up? ;) Sure, you need to talk to Mr. Big.....er, I mean Mr. Biggs.....

Keep us posted.

Alright, its official.

" This e-mail will confirm that Toyota Motor Sales will grant you permission to make one data tag using the Toyota name for personal use on your own Landcruiser.

Garrett Biggs
Intellectual Property Administrator
TMS Legal Department
Ph: (310) 468-4770
Fax: (310) 381-5819
garrett_biggs@toyota.com"

If you want one of these tags made, you will need to get your own letter from Mr. Biggs :)

I'm shocked toyota would approve it. They usually act like we don't exist.

I wrote to Mr. Biggs and he doesn't wnat to deal with individual requests for repro's. He wants a set number. I quote:

"How many of your friends are going to request these? To prevent a number
of individual requests, please try and give me a reasonable guess of the
number of your friends/associates that will be seeking the same.

Garrett Biggs
Intellectual Property Administrator
TMS Legal Department
Ph: (310) 468-4770
Fax: (310) 381-5819"

So can we come up with a number of plates desired?

Dave

Don't know if Fox got a count from when he first mentioned it on PBB....most were looking for the later tags. Better PM him. I think he mentioned twenty at some point.

So how much are these reproduction tags going to cost? I might be interested in a few if they are reasonably priced.

I asked for 20 and he shot me down. Its good that we've made him reconsider :) As I stated on POR, you'll need a reason and some sort of proof to get em. I only want them to go to someone who needs them, not just someone who wants them. ;)

From Mr. Biggs:

"Thank you for your e-mail. We understand how granting permission to
manufacture 20 tags would simplify matters. However, we were only
concerned about the number or friends for internal purposes. In order to
grant you permission to manufacture 20 tags without customer names/VIN, we
need each individual to submit their individual request. The alternative
is for you to apply for a license which can take up to 6 months and
sometimes more."

I guess keep going with the individual requests, it sounds like they're clueless :) I will be pursuing the license also :)

and again from Mr Biggs:

"No, there are no costs. However, a license would not benefit you at this time. I mentioned a license as this is the only option in manufacturing items containing our name/logo. First problem is that we are only accepting Lexus licenses at this time. This may change in the near future. The second and more important issue is the fact that you can not sell to the public even with a license. You would have to sell to a licensed Toyota, Lexus and/or Scion dealer or go through our distributor, Warren parts. Our dealers are amongst the only place one can purchase licensed Toyota products. Most other products (car wash, malls, after-market auto stores) sell non-licensed (counterfeit) items unless they purchase directly from a dealer. This process will hopefully be changing sometime this year. "

foxfab said:
ok, I have another email into him asking for 20. I'll let ya know. Price for just the tag without stamping sits at $30 each with artwork, setup, and shipping.

Now that I got my own permission from Mr. Biggs, can I order mine?

How much would the stamping add?

Dave

Foxfab
What's the scoop on these tags. I have one that is missing the tag and two others that they are pretty rough. One is on the forty I justed picked up. Which is funny cause my later twenty-fives have the later tag.

John

read above. You'll need a letter from Toyota for me to get you some. I'm leaning toward not doing the stamping for liability reasons. You can get it done locally or datatags.com can do it for you.

Fox,

Any plans on doing these for the FJ40's. I will get a letter and all the legal issues taken care. Just wondering if I can get one made up for the 11/70 FJ40.
Do not know why you would ever take the tag off but mine is gone. :mad:
I understand that this would require a whole set up fee and all the leg work just do not know any way of getting one besides you. Thanks. :cheers:

I personally wasnt going to anytime soon because I dont have a tag to work from nor a need for a 40 tag. I'm with you, I dunno why someone took my tag off, but they did. There is also a significantly greater amount of stamping on the newer tags. Try www.datatags.com He is the one that was going to do the stamping for me once i have my blank. But he's going to tell you to get the blanks made and then send them to him for stamping. I am having a local engraving/sign shop do them and there should be plenty of them around you. And I could hook you up with the guy who did my artwork if you wanted.

Thanks fox. I will look around and see if I can find someone to make one up for me. If I can not I may take you up your offer to hook me up with the guy who you are going though. Thanks again.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom