Wheel and Tire Combination (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey

I’ve just purchased a set of 33x12.5x15 Trxus Tires for my 74; and, I am having a difficult time deciding what to do about wheels. The fellow at the shop is telling me that I have to go with a 15x10 wheel with 0 offset. I’m thinking that I can get away with a 15x8. Also, I’m still up in the air about type, style, etc for the wheels …

Any thoughts?

Mike

Hi All:

I don't know if your '74 is a 1974 or a *J74, but the typical wheel backspace is 3.5 inches, I believe (this will clear the disc brake calipers.) For a 33X12.5R15 tire I'd suggest 15X7 inch rims (this narrow rim will help protect the bead seat from debris when aired-down), but definitely not the 15X10 wheels!

Let us know what you think of the 'Swamper Trexus tires after you've used them a bit.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

I have 33x12.5 and use a -13 offset I pulled off my fiberglass fenders and the tires dont stick out. The stock aluminum wheels on a HZJ73 with frp fenders are -20 offset and I have seen trucks with -35 offset but they do stick out a touch.

I use a 15x8 wheel for 33x12.5 tires

Robert VanLane
HZJ73
Hilux RN36

I've had more wheel/tyre/gear combo's on my 70 than I care to admit. What I have now is by far the best combo I've tried:

4.56 diff's
2.82/0.92 OD T Case
35" MTR's
15x8 steel rims w/ 3" BS

You won't find a 15x8 with 3" BS off the shelf...these were custom and pricey. the most common BS in a 15" rim will be 3.75. The problem with that is you get rubbing on the front springs in sharp turns and rubbing on the frame in the rear.

whatever you do, DON'T get 15x10 rims...way too wide and you'll rubb all over. In a 15", 2.5 BS is fairly common and given the choice, I'd take that over 3.75. If you really want to get it bang-on..spend the $$ for 15x8 - 3" BS

http://www.stocktonwheel.com/

Stone

I'm running a Terrain Tamer lift. It's advertised as 2 over stock; however, it turned out to be 4 over the flat stock-springs that i removed. There is lots of room for 33s

Mike

Hi Mike:

Okay...you have the same setup as I do. I also run the Terrain Tamer kit on my BJ74.

Basically, from what I gather, Offset = Rear Spacing (aka. backspace) - (Total Wheel Width/2).

My OEM 16" steel wheels are 6.5" in width and have a backspacing of 3.75". So, according to the formula, the OEM offset would be +0.5".

For a 15x10 wheel to have a Zero offset, the Rear Spacing will have to be 5"...and that will definitely be a problem. In order to maintain at least a 3.5" back space, you will need a 15x10" wheel with an offset of -1.5". Doing this will make your wheels/tires stick out nearly 3.7" more than the stock configuration. HTH.

The saga continues

I have been to three different shops trying to locate a simple 15x8 inch wheel for my 89 BJ74 with no luck at all. I was finally told that the problem is not the back spacing at all. The problem is with the bolt pattern. I assumed that the bolt pattern was the same as my old 77 FJ (which was easy to find); but, I guess I was wrong.

Is the bolt pattern unique for 89 LCs? Is there a Toyota-friendly supplier of the wheels that I need?

Thanks

Mike

Mike:

The bolt pattern for your BJ74 is one of the most common bolt pattern in NA...the Chevy 6 bolt pattern. What's very hard to find is the proper back spacing of 3.5 - 3.75". The Chevy standard back spacing is 4". You're going to have to find better tire shops that know what they're talking about. :)

Greg has been using Unique 8 spoke steel wheels for his Cruisers for a while now. They retail in most places for about $89/ea. I know Greg did order a few Unique 16x8 rims with a custom back spacing of 3.5" a while ago...not positive if they still do that today. I'd actually eventually like a set for mine.

The bolt pattern is identical on all Land Cruisers from 1959 to 1997

Backspacing or lack thereof can make clearing the calipers on disk brake Cruisers a problem. It can often be solved with a 1/4" spacer.

I like 15 x 10s as well with 33x12.5s. Its really nice to have a truck that's 2 inches wider sometimes.

I believe the ones I run these days are called a 4" BS rim. They came from Unique. They do not hit the calipers and I run them on an HJ60 with 2.5" of lift. (for sale BTW) They do rub the front of the fender on big bumps but not in articulation.

Where in the world are you, Mike?
flexy kate.jpg

Stone ... lowenbrau

I'm in Kingston, Ontario. I just moved here from New Brunswick last summer. Southern Ontario is no place to be into off-roading. I fellas at the parts stores here are much more comfortable dealing parts for "tuners" or H2s. I think that Land Cruisers scare them. And, they won't sell me the parts that I ask for without confirming that it matches their references precisely.

Thanks men .... I think i'll just ask for a 15x8 wheel for a 85 Chevy C10 ;)

I'm running 265/70/R17's now on my BJ-73. I've got the Tundra/Sequoia double five-spoke rims on it and they look great. There are more and more offerrings of good rubber in the 17" size all the time. This fitment gives me a near-32" diameter package in a width that is 10.5". I am loving this combo. For now, the shoes are the Goodyear Wrangler ATS; however, I'll move to either the Nitto's or BFG's when the time is right.

To keep my spacing correct, I use a 1" thick billet aluminum adapter supplied by Marlin Crawler. Front and back axle. It gives me all the clearance I need. The calipers I use on the BJ-73 and the BJ-42 are the TLC calipers made by SSBC. These suckers clamp down on cross-drilled rotors.

i aagree with bruce, in 2000?? they cahnged the center hole to samller, you can see the old size but they added a small lip... makes me wonder why...

Unique 21-7760 for the 16x7 white wagon wheel with 4" BS. Unique will move the inner, in relation to the outer, for a $15.00 charge. Last I heard they could move it 1/2" only.

Unique 21-7860 for the 16x8 white wagon wheel with 4.5" BS. Same deal...iirc 1/2" max movement at the factory.

I ran the 7760 on my BJ42 for years with no fitment issues. I have not tried the 7860's.

I know people have bought either off the shelf and run 1.5" bolt on billet spacers...

42- changes it to black.

This info was correct a couple of year ago (last time I ran an order)

hth's

gb

crushers said:
i aagree with bruce, in 2000?? they cahnged the center hole to samller, you can see the old size but they added a small lip... makes me wonder why...

2000? I think you meant to say 1900. Chevy has always run the 3.5" hole on the 6 bolt because of the teen tiny little hubs and wheel bearings they ran on the 1/2 tons. Toyota has always punched a 4" ish hole in the wheels.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7969068352&category=43956

And apparently the aftermarket makers make the center bigger, so it will work with both Chev and Toyota?

gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom