Need a '73 carb linkage pic - (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tucker74

Threads
I've got my carb installed with the throttle and choke cables connected ... but I'm having a hard time figuring out where the return spring attaches. I know where it connects to the throttle linkage - but would love a pic of the other end on a '73. This pic was the best I could find ... but it's a '77 and different then mine (just wanted to clarify what I was looking for).

Any help?

Tucker
carb_linkage.jpg

On the 73, the carb had a transitional bracket, a horizontal bellcrank if you like, that converted from the ball stud linkage back to the traditional cable. The return spring was located on that bellcrank.

If you are running the carb in straight cable mode, then you need the spring tensioning bracket common to 70-72 carbs. If you are running full-on linkage, then yours will look like your photo.

And, as far as your dizzy question, if it's a vac retard unit, just leave it disconnected for now. ;)

Thanks Mark on the dizzy question ... I think I hooked the throttle in straight cable mode (two 17mm nuts on bracket - cable around semi-circle armature w/ end in slot?). I assumed the return spring connected to the bracket on this armature (like pic) and somewhere below - I guess I need the earlier bracket?

This is what my linkage looks like (for everyone other than Mark ;) )

042-01E-1.jpg

Thanks,
Tucker

The diagram Robert LaDuke posted is for the 74 setup. The pic Tucker posted was of a 71-early 73 that uses the spring tensioning bracket. I've still got a few of those laying around. ;)

Would it be #66 in this diagram? Pre 9/73
I'm trying to help but afraid I'm just adding to the problem.
042E.jpg

That bracket is the "horizontal bellcrank" on the later '73 ... mine is was made in late '72 as a '73 model - and has the earlier carb. I think I've got my problem solved (just wish I had the bracket now) -

Thanks,
Tucker

Which bracket do you need? I just ordered #66 from SOR for $20.00 used. I tried rigging some other stuff together, but ended up with a govenor as my cable is too short (yes I'm aware and so is my wife of my "short" cable). I am trying to get a cable to work on a '84 2f (all linkage), installed in a '65 FJ45. I hope this bracket works.

I have one of the brackets like in the picture, post 4, I don't know where the hell I put the carb that went with it, but if that is what you need, let me know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom