Snorkel Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
westernslopeanglers.com
When you hook up a snorkel to an FJ60, is there some type of duct that connects to your air filter? It seems as though, via what I have read, that it's just a hole in the fender and nothing more. I have searched for pics but haven't seen the engine bay pics of one. Does anybody have one of their snorkel installed with a pic of how it looks in the engine bay?

Also, I used to be in the Marines and would drive the Humvees around. Mainly the hardback style. We used to have a deep water fording kit. We were told if the snorkel and the exhaust remained above water, you can go anywhere. Now I only got up to stomach depth in water so I never really tested this statement but that leads to my next question.

Seeing that the snorkel can extend above the roof, what if the exhaust extended past it also? Would you theoretically be able to submerge your vehicle up to roof level as long as the intake and exhaust were above the water level?

Not that I plan on doing something like this but is it possible. Looking at installing a snorkel but unsure of it's functionality if the exhaust isn't elevated also.

It is not a submarine. Keep in mind all the electrical components that are well below hood high. Othere than that there has been discussions about the marginal benfit of snorkels for submersed driving as the dizzy and such will get water well before the snorkel caps off. You also bring up a good point on the exhaust.

Now if you could waterproof the electrical and raised the exhaust to snorkel intake height, I suppose you could take that baby underwater if you could displace all that water and keep the truck moving.

1. Snorkle: Recommended intallation includes using an FJ62 'style' air filter. It's a circular can that sits on passenger side of engine, air intake is then on snorkle side of engine. Otherwise, go to Marine supply stor & get heavy duty bilge blower duct hose.

2. No, you 'probably won't make it' if you completely submerge an FJ engine. Although distributor is, more or less, watertight and there's a good boot on the coil, you still stand an excellent chance of loosing ignition ( one or more plug wires 'short'...).

A diesel, on the other hand, will plug & chug it's way . . .

You need to flip the airbox, or fab something up to connect your snorkle to your intake.

As for your hummer, it was diesel, which once running can only be stopped by cutting off the air or fuel, glow plugs have no need for electricity, spark plugs do. In theory you could seal up everything on a gas engine to make it run submerged like that, but the cost of that would justify just converting to diesel. As Cruser pointed out, you'd be ruining your radio and fans etc too.

The air cleaner assembly from an Austrailian 2F is supposed to bolt right up. I just ordered mine from SOR. You need to call them to order it, it's not listed on their website.

Last edited:
have aleady got the snorkle?

ColoradoFJ60 said:
But it seems like those pics have the airbox on the passenger side. Mine is on top of my valve cover.
mine is on the drivers side also. and i dont think you can turn it.

ColoradoFJ60 said:
But it seems like those pics have the airbox on the passenger side. Mine is on top of my valve cover.

right, I'm talking about replacing the US airbox with the Australian version.

ahhhhhhh,very good grasshopper...

casey said:
right, I'm talking about replacing the US airbox with the Australian version.
and where do you pick up one of those????

I'll post pics of my 1HZ hooked up to the snorkle when can.

TB

Biggest thing I learned when crossing water is its power. Water is HEAVY stuff and it will push it's way in under the doors and fill up the inside of the vehicle. So your carpets will stink and be soggy and you'll have to worry a little more about rust from the inside out. Cold water can crack the hot glass lenses on headlights and running lights. Still water isn't as bad as moving water... but how often is still water the shallow part? When driving upstream in water bumper height the "wave" in front of my truck is covering the headlights. You also need to consider the cooling fan. Water can bend push fan blades into the radiator and cut it up (ohoh! ask me how I know!). Water can push itself in at the oil dipstick and you'll need to change diff fluid more often and repack wheel bearings and knuckles. There are breathers on your differintials and your tranny and transfer case. All of these will need to be extended or you will increase the water intake to all of these things.

Water crossing is not impossible. Mark W (I believe?) has a lot of good info. Just don't fall under the illusion that as long as your air intake is out of the water you'll be fine...
Chris

You can fab the one you have - I got lucky because the 350TBI air cleaner points the right direction - but still had to get some stuff from summit to make it work - be creative - use sheet metal snips and I am sure you can put together a water tight unit!

You also need to run all your breather tubes up high too - Transfer case / diffs / .........

I have had my Cruiser in over the hood for a couple minutes and everything came out fine - being the paranoid type I changed out all fluids when I got home - diffs and transfer that is....cold water and hot seals.....

Last edited:
Mine. De-smogged and relocated.

aircleaner02.jpg

aircleaner23.jpg

aircleaner18.jpg

aircleaner24.jpg

Also, there's a guy in our local club here that just ran like a 6 foot hose from the stock air intake position around and across to the snorkel side. Sorry no pics, but I know he hangs out here a bunch...

-Ferg-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom