H41 Availability (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm shopping for an H41. Do I suck it up and fork over the $$$ to SOR, or is there an better priced alternative source? I also hear that generally these transmissions are usually somewhat abused, True/False. Thanks for any input.

I've got a couple here with Diesel long input shafts in them
One looks like a used tranny inside and the other is really nice
Plus they both have the long output shafts and bolt holes in the bottom for cross members.

Steven@extremebends.com

Have installed two from SOR, and will be doing the third in an 83-40 this weekend.

Seem to be fine, all have showed up in, and looked to be in good condition.

Yes they are spendy, but at least you can get them ready to go...

You have many options, most are going to be spendy...

Good luck!

-Steve

Mud_Guppie said:
I've got a couple here with Diesel long input shafts in them
One looks like a used tranny inside and the other is really nice
Plus they both have the long output shafts and bolt holes in the bottom for cross members. [/email]

'Long output shafts'? Are they for the split cases?

Would they take the input shaft off and H42 to mate to a 2F?

I was under the impression that most H41's are a drop in replacement for the H42. I don't know if I want to swap inputs and outputs.

Get one from Marv, and be done with it then....

:beer:

Good luck!

-Steve

Hi All:

From my experience, and what I've heard from folks, Man-A-Fre and Spector Off Road have sorta different "angles" on the H41 business. SOR sells H41s at a premuim, but they all seem to be in premio shape. MAF sells H41s for less money (still not cheap!) and claims they have "inspected" the tranny. If you have a warranty issue they will replace it with another used H41.

I have a friend in San Jose with a H41 he bought from SOR - it was in great shape. Another friend has one he got from MAF, and it seems fine. I have a H41 that I bought from the guy who got it from MAF - he installed new seals, ran it 1,500 miles, then sold it to me (not enough gear reduction for 36 inch tires.)

The beauty of the H41 is that it is a "bolt-in" replacement for the existing H42 tranny. But, for $750 one could easily do a SM420 swap, including all the parts, etc. and net a lower crawl ratio. The H42 is a much nicer tranny on the street, while the H41 is basicly a three-speed tranny on the street (at least with 33 inch tires.)

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

got my hands on a non US H41. cant wait to install it not cheap but it is worth it . im runing 34x10.5 on a 4in lift

Last edited:
I actually just sold my SM420 I had planned to swap. I still have the aapter and 3-speed bellhousing though. Did alot of thinking on it, and with the Orion going in I felt the option of a direct bolt in tranny was best. I just don't feel like having d-shafts made again. To add to that I felt there would be way too much gap in the gears for an east coast rig.

Poser said:
Get one from Marv, and be done with it then....

:beer:

Good luck!

-Steve

SOR sells two versions of H41 - one that they have disassembled, cleaned, inspected, and reassembled while the other is simply a takeout that has been looked at. There's about $100.00 difference between the two. What's the story with all that?

Also, the H41 from a Toyota is a direct bolt-in, right? No adapters orflange, shaft, or other changes needed at either end? Just take it out of crate and hook it up as soon as it arrives with no further ado, right?

One of mine is due for some sealing that means I have to pull down the trans as soon as a carb and fuel tank for the other one arrives. Good time to swap the trans if I'm gonna'.

Hi All:

If you have an Orion, I'd suggest just bolting it up to the H42 four speed - you'll have best of both worlds - nice shift pattern on the street/highway, and low gearing for off-road.

A friend of mine has the Orion t-case bolted up to a H41 tranny, his low-range is like 90 to 1! But with 35 inch tires and 4.88 ratio diff gears the H41 is essentially a three speed tranny on the street/highway.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle
----------------------------------------------------------------
GR73 wrote:
>I actually just sold my SM420 I had planned to swap. I still have the aapter and 3-speed bellhousing though. Did alot of thinking on it, and with the Orion going in I felt the option of a direct bolt in tranny was best. I just don't feel like having d-shafts made again. To add to that I felt there would be way too much gap in the gears for an east coast rig.

Hi All:

The H41 and H42 four speed transmissions are interchangeable, as long as the trans have correct main shaft. For a 2F powered Land Cruiser one would need a H41 from a "F" or "H" Series Land Cruiser - the main shafts used with the "B" or "K" engines have a different spline count (and length as well, I believe.)

So yes, no changes to thedriveshaft lengths, nor is an adaptor needed.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"HONK" asked:

>Also, the H41 from a Toyota is a direct bolt-in, right? No adapters orflange, shaft, or other changes needed at either end? Just take it out of crate and hook it up as soon as it arrives with no further ado, right?

That still doesn't answer the question...

Can the input shaft for a B or H series engine be swapped for a 2F or 3F input shaft?

And does 'long output shaft' mean that they're the later H41s, meant for a split case (and thus not a 'bolt in replacement' for an H42 in a '76-'78 or Orion application).

Also, I doubt it'd be a 3 speed on the road when running 37" tires and 4.56's.

Josie'sLandCruiser said:
Hi All:

The H41 and H42 four speed transmissions are interchangeable, as long as the trans have correct main shaft. For a 2F powered Land Cruiser one would need a H41 from a "F" or "H" Series Land Cruiser - the main shafts used with the "B" or "K" engines have a different spline count (and length as well, I believe.)

So yes, no changes to thedriveshaft lengths, nor is an adaptor needed.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Alan,

I should have asked if anyone knew whether the "disassembled and cleaned, etc" H41 from SOR is worth the extra money that SOR charges for it over the second choice offered by them if all from SOR have been found to be excellent.

Also, it occurs to me to ask if it's possible to simply swap the first gear or first gear cluster from an H41 into a good H42, and does anyone sell the needed parts to do that if it is in fact possible? I realize that there are minor differences in the ratios of 2nd and 3rd gears between the two but what we're all after is that nice 4.93:1 first gear and would be satified to keep our other gears.

Hi All:

One can use with the 2F engine transmissions that came from "F" or "H" Series TLCs. The main shaft on a transmission from a "B" or "K" Series TLC has a different spline count than those compadable with a 2F engine.

I belive the main shaft on transmissions intended for "B" Series engines is longer than that of "F" Series engines.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Hi All:

Humm . . . . . I don't know, "Honk," if you could simply swap in the first gear from a H41 into the H42 and leave all the other H42 gears in place. I believe that the actual transmission gear box is physically the same between the two models, it is just the gears themselves and the main shaft (depending on engine Series) that differs.

Humm . . . . An interesting project! Wonder if I have the time to take another one on!
;)

regards,

Alan
Seattle

No Honk, you cannot. The differenciation between the two trannies is not just in the gears on the output shaft. The counter gear, which is one solid gearset is different as well. So you would need 1st, 2nd, 3rd and the countergear assembly to make it work. By that point, you have to ask yourself, 'why am I trying SO HARD to reinvent the wheel?'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom