OME shocks removed... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, finally felt comfortable wrenching again (dislocated my right shoulder snowboarding last month), so decided it's time to change out the OME poly-urethane shock bushings with OEM ones (thanks for the new ones, Beowulf!!!)

Front driver's one was a piece of cake, so I proceeded to the passenger's, and removed the upper bushings with ease. However, the lower bolt was a b*tch to remove as it refused to budge, even though I had sprayed it with few doses with PB Blaster a week ago. Finally, the bolt let loose, but very sluggish - I thought that it was because of some kind of locktite material in the OME bolt, but to my horror when pulled the shock body out, its lower thread was crossed/crushed :eek: :eek: :eek: I wondered if the mechanic that installed my lift had messed it up then & locktite it as I have never crossed threading anything before in years of wrenching. Also removed the rear ones without any problem at all!

Up to this point, rendering that the OME shock was not re-usesable, I replaced the OMEs with stock ones that I still keep in the garage. Took the truck out for the test drive - WOW, it is much better in term of comfort. The stock rubber bushings dampen up driving over those water/sewer service covers without transmitting much of shock to the truck - love the feel of it!!!

So far, this is the best combination that I have tried: OME springs with OEM shock absorbers (or atleast with OEM bushings) - best compromise of performance & comfort.

Other combinations that I have experienced:

. OEM springs + OEM shocks
. OEM springs + OME shocks
. OME springs + OME shocks

Last edited:
What OME springs are you using?
2" lift or stock height?

So far, this is the best combination that I have tried: OME springs with OEM shock absorbers - best compromise of performance & comfort.

How do you typically drive your rig - wheel, Mall Cruiser et al?

That's strange - you just reported the exact opposite of what I found. I replaced my OEM shocks w/ OME and felt a noticeable improvement ... which got even better when I replaced the springs later. Granted my OEM shocks/springs had 60k on them ... but my HD OME rides much better than my buddies low milage OEM suspension. I can see the bushings maybe ... but more on the caster than the shocks.

BTW - how do you plan on getting enough travel out of those shocks w/ the lift springs?

Tucker

tucker74 said:
That's strange - you just reported the exact opposite of what I found. I replaced my OEM shocks w/ OME and felt a noticeable improvement ... which got even better when I replaced the springs later. Granted my OEM shocks/springs had 60k on them ... but my HD OME rides much better than my buddies low milage OEM suspension. I can see the bushings maybe ... but more on the caster than the shocks.

BTW - how do you plan on getting enough travel out of those shocks w/ the lift springs?

Tucker

Travel on the shocks can be returned with an adapter made to measure either equal to the amount of lift or in excess thereof. Stud end can be done with a rectangle and ring end can be done with an open ended rectangle. I had some made with a 2.5" flatbar. One only needs to take a measure of the lifted vehicle at rest at the mounts, and the shock at full compression and at full expansion. You then make your adapter to a length needed to put your shock at it's midpoint or at whatever bias, ( more compression or more expansion ), you are comfortable with.

I made my weld at the midpoint of one leg as I felt that would probably get less stress than a corner.

Kalawang

Kalawang said:
I made my weld at the midpoint of one leg as I felt that would probably get less stress than a corner.

Kalawang
So you made an adapter to account for the shorter OEM shock length ... I've only seen that done on the "Arctic Truck" style lifts. Don't really see the point though - if you're going w/ longer springs you prolly want more travel ... else you should have bought the stock height OME coils.

At least you've addressed the problem - I've seen people ignore it ... and end up w/ ripped out shock mounts :rolleyes:

Tucker

elmariachi said:
Well, I am confused now. :confused: :confused:

Jim

The problem I faced was of an available shock in good working condition that was fully extended, or nearly fully extended at rest, i.e., with the truck doing nothing more than being parked on level ground. This is true when one has a 4" lift with some Ranchos and also some OME's.

To give my shocks a chance to extend when needed, they had to be made longer either by moving the shock mounts, not a good idea, or by extending the shocks. As I was dealing with a Toy LC and Ranchos, my shocks were stud ends so I made a 4" rectangle out of a 2.5" flat bar, drilled both ends to fit some bolts and fitted the shocks to the extenders and the LC. The 4" extender effectively returns 4" of play to the shocks.

The guy who did the welding does so for a living daily and without a mask. He keeps his eyesight by closing his eyes as he welds. To the best of my knowledge, and also to the best I could observe him, he did not appear to have any eye problems. It rather amazed me when I first saw him working, but he was able to see teeny tiny things even of low contrast so I suppose his eyes were still good.

Kalawang

Some clarifications:

. My OME springs are the low-lift ones (as said in my signature :rolleyes: )
. My only off-road experiences thus far are from driving over speed bumps & muddy parking lot :flipoff2:
. My OEM shocks had less than 10Kmiles on it when upgraded to OMEs - they are LC shocks instead of the LX softer ones (replaced by Lexus to make it CPO); this may justify the difference with Tucker's experience.
. Buck-boarding with stock shocks & even with OME ones - so I credit the lowlift springs for the wonderful ride. That said, IMHO, the firmness of compression/rebounce valving between the stocks & OMEs are very similar in feel.
. My intention was to swap out the poly-urethane bushings with stock rubber ones to yield some comfort gain; but forced to use the OEM ones since one of the shocks removed was bad (no time to get a new one.) The OME bushings are a little too sporty to my taste.

Tested on a wash-board highway stretch yesterday, very quiet with almost no feedback on the steering wheel :bounce:

Frank.

OEM shocks? Mall cruiser....

I will do OME mods some time in the future. I think I will end up with the medium setup to start. I am currently running original OEM's and all bumps in the road are squarely transmitted to driver and passengers. While off-road capabilites are important to me, I want as much comfort as possible on and off-road. I also look to this mod for improved handling performance.

Will more comfort, ie. bump absorbtion, be achieved by replacing OME poly bushings with OEM rubber bushings (on OME springs and shocks)? If so, are any other attributes compromised for the increase in comfort?
Has anyone ran both the light/low-lift setup and the medium setup, if so how does both the comfort and handling compare between the two?

Thanks
Perk

Kalawang said:
snip

The guy who did the welding does so for a living daily and without a mask. He keeps his eyesight by closing his eyes as he welds. To the best of my knowledge, and also to the best I could observe him, he did not appear to have any eye problems. It rather amazed me when I first saw him working, but he was able to see teeny tiny things even of low contrast so I suppose his eyes were still good.

Kalawang

hot dang! You better talk to this guy! Where the heck is this?

Gumby said:
I am not liking the ride of my new OME L-shocks. Whether it's the bushings or the shocks, the ride is much stiffer and bouncier with the OME over the 130K OEM.

I'll take those L's off your hands. :D

I can get you stock or one month old N's in return. :D

Not sure just how much you dislike them...

e9999 said:
hot dang! You better talk to this guy! Where the heck is this?
I only know of one guy who can do this. He is in the Phillipines. Maybe the same guy? :D

FJ809496TLC said:
I only know of one guy who can do this. He is in the Phillipines. Maybe the same guy? :D

The guy in the picture is. All you have to do is look and recognize.

Kalawang

perk said:
Will more comfort, ie. bump absorbtion, be achieved by replacing OME poly bushings with OEM rubber bushings (on OME springs and shocks)?

Having done this recently on a sedan and the cruiser, I'd say it is WAY worth it. Some may question the longivity of the stock rubber bushings but the cost and the time to replace them are very minimal should they went bad.

sjcruiser

Kalawang said:
The guy in the picture is. All you have to do is look and recognize.

Kalawang

one should be able to tell from the bottle?

IIRC you have been awfully coy about telling us where you are, no?
that wouldn't be you welding there by any chance? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom