sm420/Orion-an adapter plate helicoil question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tornadoalleycruisers.com
I'm building an sm420/orion combo here using one of Spaceghosts's 3/4" adapter plates. Should I be concerned the orion will wiegh too much, and pull the bolts out of the aluminum adapter plate? If I helicoil the holes for the orion to the adapter plate, my concern is this: all the 3/8x14 helicoils I can find are ~1/2" long. The plate is ~3/4" deep...this leaves me with 1/4" of no threads at all...what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks, Alan

I don't think that the extra weight will be an issue. The weight is supported by the bearing race on the sm420 main shaft. Just don't get carried away with the torque. I have had Mike's plate for about 3 years now and no problems. Blue locktite on the bolts. His plate is a work of art.

Does the orion have any allowance for a rear support crossmember/brace?

tlc_2_0004.jpg

Mike, AA was supposed to send me the propellor mount, but didn't. Let me see if they changed that...if not, I could use that:)
Might even throw you a t shirt with your name on it...

Alan

Hey Chef,
The bolts are 7/16 14's, use the time-serts instead. They are more expensive but well worth it. To answer your question, if you are concerned about the weight, then aninsert will strengthen the threads holding power. The plate is 6061 so I do not think this is a problem.

SpaceGhost said:
Hey Chef,
The bolts are 7/16 14's, use the time-serts instead. They are more expensive but well worth it. To answer your question, if you are concerned about the weight, then aninsert will strengthen the threads holding power. The plate is 6061 so I do not think this is a problem.

Info from the man I got the plate from: kewl. Thanks Mike! Can you explain what 6061 means in terms of strenght vs a steel plate for morons like me who know crap about metallurgy?

The tensile strength of 6061-T6 approaches that of mild steel (47,000 vs 55,000 PSI).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom