Duraback or Herculiner? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 40 interior is bare!

Now - which one do you prefer and why?

Duraback or Herculiner? :cheers:

I Herculined my K5 from the firewall back about three years ago. It applied well and looked good for a while. Now places are showing up where the paint underneath is showing through. These aren't rubbed through, more like faded out. I also don't think it is thick enough. I used a gallon on my interior, if I was to do it again I would definitly put a second gallon over it. The driver's floor board has held up better than I expected, and isn't worn. I have yet to decide what I am going to do to my FJ40, but I will look into other products first. If I use Herculiner again I will apply at least a second coat.

freightdog said:
The 40 interior is bare!

Now - which one do you prefer and why?

Duraback or Herculiner? :cheers:

I think that they are both about the same. I herculined the inside of the tub and durabak the whole cruiser (because durabak had more colors). But I think herculiner was a little thicker and holds to UV better.

- Rico.

fj40_rico said:
I think that they are both about the same. I herculined the inside of the tub and durabak the whole cruiser (because durabak had more colors). But I think herculiner was a little thicker and holds to UV better.

- Rico.

do you have any pictures of how that turned out? have been considering doing the same, a-là TJDIV

Aalien said:
I Herculined my K5 from the firewall back about three years ago. It applied well and looked good for a while. Now places are showing up where the paint underneath is showing through. These aren't rubbed through, more like faded out. I also don't think it is thick enough. I used a gallon on my interior, if I was to do it again I would definitly put a second gallon over it. The driver's floor board has held up better than I expected, and isn't worn. I have yet to decide what I am going to do to my FJ40, but I will look into other products first. If I use Herculiner again I will apply at least a second coat.

If you read the directions you are supposed to put on two coats. One gallon was just enough to do two coats in my FJ40 tub. I've used it on two rigs and its held up well. THe only drawback was it faded over a period of time in the hot California sun. THey now have UV additives for it that will prevent this.
Doing the inside of your K-5, 1 gallon isn't enough, you will probably use almost 2 gallons for two coats.

Thanks Ranger -
what color did you use?

I am just thinking flat black -

but it is good to know that one gallon = two coats -

LOL nice Bennett. I used a $8 rock schutz gun from harbor frieght (that I actually borrowed from Bennett :) ) and spraying turned out great. The only thing is it is not super durable like a professionally sprayed bed liner. I had an axle in the back the other day and it caused some scraped in the durabak sliding around which is kind of a bummer. Doesn't bother me too much but a bummer... If I were really anal and have the $$ to spend I would definetely have it professionally sprayed in...

I Herc's the interior and some of the exterior of my BJ60. Two coats, and it seems to have held up well so far. I rolled it on. It did fade from UV, so I bought the Rhino Renew pint container at a loacl Rhino shop, and brushed it on. Brought the Herc back great...probably have to do it every few years on areas that sit in the sun.

gb

Anyone applying this over interior rust spots? Not rot but where paint has worn off on floors and rear fender wells. Any concerns about blistering? How to prep the rust? Wire brush, sand, chemical treatment? Or not to apply over rust.

I used herculiner for the interior of my 40. Its not bad and holds up pretty well. If you are really wanting a nice linear I would go for rhino or something like that. Herculinear and Duraback are the exact same thing according to duraback. You can get more colors through duraback than the herc. Spend the extra time to rough up the surface and clean well. For areas with rust, just sand it down to bare metal. I used a paint from Eastwood Co. that is like POR15 to cover up the bare metal. Put it on thick to keep it from peeling when it gets knicked by something.
Mine has held up very well for 4+ years. Only recently did I have a problem with it peeling up but that was due to my master cylinder leaking :D

i did the inside and out with herculiner, the more coats you do the better it looks, looks good painted too

Paul_A said:
Anyone applying this over interior rust spots? Not rot but where paint has worn off on floors and rear fender wells. Any concerns about blistering? How to prep the rust? Wire brush, sand, chemical treatment? Or not to apply over rust.

I did on a couple of spots. I sanded it as much as I could with a wire brush but after a year the rust is coming through. The best thing would probably be do POR 15 first then the Herculiner.

- Rico.

fj40_rico said:
I did on a couple of spots. I sanded it as much as I could with a wire brush but after a year the rust is coming through. The best thing would probably be do POR 15 first then the Herculiner.

- Rico.

You have to prep the metal like you would for any topcoat. Kill the rust, then prime. POR 15 will work. Herculiner won't adhere to shiney metal or gloss paint. You have to rough it up really good with a scotchbrite pad for good adhesion.

Some lessons learn with herculiner. Wear old clothes and nitrate gloves. IF you get that stuff on your person it won't wash off. DOn't get it on your hootis, your wife or girlfriend will put you on rations!
Buy extra brushes, the 1 in the kit won't cut it. I used two wider brushes, nothing expensive, to get into the areas you can't with the texurized roller. 1 for each coat. You have a wait period between coats so the 1st brush and roller will be non usable when you get back into it.
Also get a metal paint tray with the plastic inserts. Makes clean up easier.
Get a paint stirrer that goes on a drill, you have to regularly stir the paint in the can to keep the rubber particles suspended in the mixture. This is where the texture comes from.
Mask areas you don't want the herculiner, and remove the tape promptly after the second coat. If the herculiner dries you won't get it off.
Plug all bolt holes with balled up tape, and remove after the second coat. Other wise you will have to tap the holes to get bolts started.
Put a barrier on your garage floor, like a el cheapo painters tarp. If the stuff gets on the garage floor, its really hard to get off.
Last but not least, if you put herculiner on sharp edges that see traffic, it will wear off.
I have used this stuff in three vehicles, 2 FJ40s and a inside cab of a 72 Chevy pickup. It has held up really well. Prep work is the key to good adhesion, clean (no grease, oil or wax), remove and treat rust, prime, make sure there is no shiney areas, and go to town with the herculiner.
One other thing, if you have an attached garage, the stuff with filter in the house and stink it up for days. Really strong smell!

So if you screw up and a spot peals/blisters can you just touch it up and does it look OK or like crap after that. This sounds like a great idea but I got the feeling its a 100% commitment once you do it and I am being very cautious not to start unless I am confidnet that it will work for my situation.

When you touch up a spot it will be a shiny black compared to the surrounding area. Give it a week though and enough dirt and dust will settle and you won't be able to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom