tick-tick radio interference (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After installing new plugs, wires, cap and rotor, a "tick-tick" interference comes through on radio. The tick-tick speed increases and decreases according to the RPM's. Ticking is stronger on weaker stations. Could this have anything to do with the rotor? Would a filter help?

Thanks
Perk

Stock radio??????????

A filter would help the ticking, but I think the problem that needs to be addressed is why is there ticking in the first place. Does it tick with the radio completely off???? Did you use OEM parts???
More info please.
Dan

It is a stock radio, all OEM parts, and no ticking when radio is off.

critterhunter said:
did you have the tick before you changed the plugs?
if not you may have a bad resistor plug :)

Nope...no tick prior to ignition work. What is a resistor plug? How can I check if it is bad?

Reinstall old plugs. Check for noise after replacing each plug. See if problem goes away. If problem persists, reinstall old spark plug wires. Check for noise after replacing each wire. In this manner you will be able to determine which, if any, of the new parts are responsible of the issue.

Rich said:
Reinstall old plugs. Check for noise after replacing each plug. See if problem goes away. If problem persists, reinstall old spark plug wires. Check for noise after replacing each wire. In this manner you will be able to determine which, if any, of the new parts are responsible of the issue.

I didn't think to keep my old plugs. I'm not sure if I kept the wires, I'll have to check the garage. If I don't have wires, will testing resistance tell me anything? If I find that one of the wires is the cause, does that mean I've got a bad wire that needs replacement? I've been wondering if the tick-tick has anything to do with the rotor, as the sound is revoling, like if you put a playing card in a bicycle wheel and its hitting against the spokes, quickening and slowing with acceleration and deceleration of vehicle. I may be all washed up here because I really don't understand the functioning of the rotor, I just know it spins.

:D :D Officially a junior member :D :D
Do I get a party? :bounce:

Well, it would be bad for your catalytic converters, but you can try running the engine with one plug wire disconnected at at time and see if the problem goes away. If it does, then it is either the plug or the wire. I expect that a wire is more easily damaged than a plug.

While the engine is running with a spark plug wire removed that cyliinder will be dumping raw unburnt gas into the catalytic converters, which can cause the converters to overheat. Minimize the run time with spark plug wire disconnected.

The noise you are hearing is due to electrical radiation of radio frequency noise each time one or more plugs is firing. Resistor plugs and resistor wires are designed to eliminate this problem.

If a plug or wire is bad it should be replaced. First step should be to ensure that the wires connections are fully seated at the coil, distributer cap, and each plug.

The current and voltage for "sparking" the plug is supplied by the coil. If you trace the wiring from coil, to distributor, to spark plugs you will discern the function of the rotor.

I experienced the exact same thing after dealer "installed" new toyota plugs. Truck ran fine, but radio sounded horrible. Turned out one of the plugs was not seated properly, I would have never believed if it hadn't seen it myself.

Just took a little extra push, and felt a "click"

Good test for this is to get it in a dark garage and with the engine running spray ome area/spark plug wire at a time with water from a spray bottle. This will let you know real quick because a bad wire will usually arc to ground with this type of encouragement.

What brand of wires, cap, rotor, plugs did you use? If you have used anything but OEM or NGK/Nippondenso then return everything and start over.

Check that all the wires are snapped down onto the plugs tightly. If one is off just a tiny bit it will cause this symptom. Check the end at the dist. cap also. Although the water spray check will show this as well.

The ignition rotor distributes electricity to the individual contacts inside the distributor cap as the engine rotates. In effect it "pulses" the electrical charge through the ignition wire to the spark plugs, firing each cylinder individually. Like a rotating sprinkler on your front lawn.

Hope this helps.

ogsuv said:
I experienced the exact same thing after dealer "installed" new toyota plugs. Truck ran fine, but radio sounded horrible. Turned out one of the plugs was not seated properly, I would have never believed if it hadn't seen it myself.

Just took a little extra push, and felt a "click"

Was it the plug or wire that was not seated properly?

wire.

99% of spark plugs today are resistor type plugs - even going back as far as the rocking 70's. Make certain yours are. When the spark plug creates a spark, a high frequency burst of energy is created. If this energy was to travel through the ignition wires, it could cause interference with other sensitive electronic devices, such as the radio or electronic control units. The resistor in the spark plug reduces this energy before it causes interference with other electrical components. :idea:

Than i think the OEM plugs I received from Dan must be resistor type.

Pulled plugs and wires, coated them with dylectic grease, and made sure all wires were fully seated. The radio interference lessened, but is still present. All new OEM ignition parts. Coil and distributor wires are all fully seated. Does this mean that one of my plugs or wires is bad, or could it be something else?

If you have sprayed the wires down in the dark and saw no arcing then I would buy a plug and replace one at a time until you find the one that is causing the noise. In other words, remove #1 plug and replace with new s/plug, if no difference remove #2 plug and replace with #1 and so on. You may be able to use a multimeter to find a plug with little to no resistance but I have had mixed results with this method.

Just to clarify, are you getting this on AM only? I ask because there are several places around town that irritate me in the '93 as the engine RPMs are clearly audible on a couple of my favorite AM talk radio station - AM590 I think. On the street where it's the worst, there are a lot of power lines running along the street. On this street, I literally can barely make out the discussion on the radio.

It has had this since I noticed most everything on FM is crap about 7 years ago and began listening to CDs and AM almost exclusively. Didn't change when I put new OEM plugs in it a couple years ago with dielectric grease and properly seated wires which I also tested for resistance. Dunno - any other thoughts? Also, confirm if you're only hearing this on AM. I only hear it on this station AM - nowhere else. I'll have to take note if the 97 does it on the same station/road.

DougM

If it is am only, then grounding the antenna better or differently would be a fix. I am guessing this is on fm and am?

I am going to go with one "bad" wire also, I like the idea of replacing one at a time to check. And I am going to guess it would be fine as far as runnning and driving, but obviously just bad enough to cause your radio problem. If you are going to go through that trouble, might as well test them with a meter to see if one stands out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom