aftermarket thermometer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
i'm interested in getting an aftermarket thermometer for my '96. does anyone have experience with an aftermarket thermometer product?

thanks much,

ae

I have a redio shack one. Reads inside and outside. $15. Seems pretty accurate. I like it.

Brentbba said:
If you want temp, compass, barometer, etc. I picked up a Wayfinder 7000 for $95 and it's wiring kit for $15. Inside/outside temp, cardinal point compass, bearing point, altitude or barometer are amongst it's features. When hardwired will automatically turn off after 10 minutes so it won't drain it's internal battery or your car battery. Auto backlight sensor feature as well when hardwired.

Hey Brent,

Where did you install the Wayfinder? Sounds pretty cool.

By the way, I used to have a Radio Shack thermometer in a previous truck and really liked it. It just took one piece of black electrical tape to cover up the Radio Shack logo and it didn't look ghetto at all. :D

Pics on the Wayfinder install? Also, anyone put a compass/temp mirror in their 80?

DougM

I have a Wayfinder in my Tacoma. The compass and thermometer work great, but the altimeter does NOT work well. Over time it keeps going down until I am eventually a few hundred feet below sea level. I have to keep resetting it.

One of the features I like is that it runs off the car battery and is backlit so you can see it at night time. Most of the radio shack / Walmart thermometers don't have backlighting.

I'll try to get a pic and post it up. I basically screwed it into the center console just back and right of the H/L shift boot. The suction cups on the base it comes with might work on a window, but they don't work on the plastic center console. Had some rubber matting material in the garage so cut out a piece matching the base to provide at least a little cushion from vibration, etc.

Gauge - read your instructions. Wayfinder states that you are supposed to 'reset' often. Basically, if you've set your altitude for, say, your house, hold the reset button every couple of days when you first get in the truck. That keeps your altimeter more accurate.

I looked into the temp/compass rear view mirror, but for my '94 at least, there was the need for a retrofit kit that I wasn't sure I wanted to trust. I've since had center channel tweeters installed on the back of my OEM rear view mirror, so that's why I went with the Wayfinder.

Gentex Mirror. Pretty nifty. New ones show temp & direction.

mirror.jpg

Christo - yep, that's the one I was looking at. Just out of curiosity - how's their glass mount system working out?
Looks like you've used the old OEM mount for the rear view mirror for your GPS unit - nice.

These types of altimeters use barometric air pressure to read altitude. As the air pressure changes (like a low pressure zone when it's going to rain) it will show as an altitude change. This is like some GPSs that have a separate altimeter or some of the Suunto watches.

Assuming the pressure sensor is in the base unit (not remote). Put your AC blower fan on high and close all your truck windows and watch the altitude drop.

You want to set them as often as you can. Look on a topo map to find an accurate altitude for your house and reset it in your driveway. Or road side signs that show a the altitude of a pass.

Last edited:
Yep - that's exactly how the Wayfinder works Fochdog and exactly why Wayfinder recommends frequently resetting to your base altitude. I set mine in my driveway using the altitude from my GPS as the base setting. I reset 'when I remember' which is usually every few days.

I didn't know I would have to reset that often (once a week). I went to a local small airport and asked them what the altitude is. Altitude in Southern New Jersey is only 120ft. above sea level.

Now I have a question - if the altimeter needs to be calibrated so often, then why bother having it? I mean, if I have to verify it against every road sign I see, then why bother using it, I'll just read the road signs. I know the altimeter works, and it is very accurate, because I can see the altitude rise as I climb hills - even as little as 5 or 10 feet, but in terms of overall accuracy (i.e., "what is the altitude now?), I am kinda dissappointed with the Wayfinder.

I have the Wayfinder 2020 (wireless) installed; but it does not have the altimeter though. If Brent haven't, I'll post some pix of mine tonight.

Bottom line an altimeter is a navigation tool to be used with a topographic map and compass. When driving on the interstate an altimeter is more there for entertainment valve.

While off roading you don't have the luxury of street exits and signs to help find your way. So the altimeter gives you an additional reference (along with your map and compass) to determine your location. Not to mention if you are lucky enough to own a GPS ...

Usually over the course of a day during good weather (i.e. in a stable high pressure zone) an altimeter will only drift a few ten's of feet.

Now, if you are mountaineering in the Rockies during low visibility conditions a good altimeter can help you stay alive....but that is for a different forum. :D

Gauge said:
Now I have a question - if the altimeter needs to be calibrated so often, then why bother having it? I mean, if I have to verify it against every road sign I see, then why bother using it, I'll just read the road signs. I know the altimeter works, and it is very accurate, because I can see the altitude rise as I climb hills - even as little as 5 or 10 feet, but in terms of overall accuracy (i.e., "what is the altitude now?), I am kinda dissappointed with the Wayfinder.

I have the same problem with the altimeter in my watch, but I've noticed that if I set it at the start of an "event", a hike, trail ride, mountain bike ride, etc.... it will be relatively accurate throughout that event. Dramatic weather changes will mess it up, but for the most part it's a good reference.

Here are a couple of pics. One from my driver perspective and a center console level view. And those interested can see my Prodigy mounted under the dash as well. Yes - those are golf balls in the cup holder right by the 2005 TLCA member plaque! :D
IMG_0407.JPG
IMG_0408.JPG

I purchased the hardwire power kit and am running direct from the battery. For my outside temp sensor, I used one of the screws that holds the plastic air vents on the front bumper and placed it there. Ran the wire in some split loom in the DS bumper cavity down to the front.

Brentbba said:
Christo - yep, that's the one I was looking at. Just out of curiosity - how's their glass mount system working out?
Looks like you've used the old OEM mount for the rear view mirror for your GPS unit - nice.

I used to buy the cheap mounts at local autoparts store, but the glue did not hold up. Take it to a glass place and when they stick it on, it does not come off. Better glue.

sleeoffroad said:
I used to buy the cheap mounts at local autoparts store, but the glue did not hold up. Take it to a glass place and when they stick it on, it does not come off. Better glue.

LOL - figures you'd do it one up (better). :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom