Trip Meter it Stops (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The trip meter just started to have problems.
All but the 10th's would stop turning.
The first time I went 50 mi, the second it made it to 10mi.

I have been having problems with zeroing it.
I would have to push the zero stick several times to get it to go back to zero.
Its like something is sticking.

My bro in law's 93 trip quit working at around 260,000 as a data point.

DougM

Had the same problem with an '80 Tercel. Seems to be Totota thing. ;p

I could get mine working again by pressing the reset button twice, rather than just once.

Yup same problem here as Tank is describing. Sure would be a PITA to take apart the dash just to clean the trip. Thank god for GPS.

It quit at 50 mi taday. I gassed up and reset the trip. Now only the tenths only turns.
I have pushed and pulled the reset with no luck.

Time to call C-Dan and take the dash apart Kurt.

landtoy80 said:
CDan has a tripmeter repair kit??? :rolleyes:

Nope but I'm sure he sells the entire unit. :idea:

It may be possible for a speedo repair shop to clean it up. Of course it will require tearing into the dash and having the bits scattered all over while the shop attempts to repair it. Since a new speedo head is a couple hundred bucks, it may be worth a try. A speedo shop could also take a new head and change the odo to read the miles on the old head.

D-

cruiserdan said:
A speedo shop could also take a new head and change the odo to read the miles on the old head.

And if you asked them to program the new odo to the same miles on the old head you would be the FIRST person to have that done. It's usually the other way around.

-B-

My NEW KW semi doesn't have a trip meter :mad:
I asked the parts guy (not CDan) at KW if they had a trip meter that I could add to the dash.
He e-mailed KW about adding one. KW e-mailed back saying I should have one, it was on the build order BUT they were out of heads with trip meters so I go one without a t-meter.
The KW dealer installed the new head with t-meter. I had 2700mi on the vehicle but they just installed the new head with 0 mi on it.

Took my dash apart yesturday. I went to Radio Shack and got some tuner cleaner/lubricant in an aerosol can. I went with this stuff because there is electronic parts there for the odometer and didn't want a problem with getting the stuff on it. I just sprayed a little between the tumblers and on the ends. I pressed in the reset button and then rotated the tumblers to help work in the lubricant and all is well.

That was easy! Thanks for the update Tankster- I need to do that to the wifey's rig as well.

Can I use gun lube? :)

What was the name/brand of the stuff you used?

landtank said:
Radio Shack Contact/Control Cleaner & Lubricant #64-4315

This stuff is safe for most plastics, not sure of your gun oil.

Got a can of the RS TV Tuner/cleaner. Its $9.39 for the can :eek:

What do I do? Pull the head and spray inside the odmeter, trip meter and reset stick?

Pull the head and remove the lens assembly (plastic window) it snaps on.

There are 4 screws that come in from the rear that holds the odometer in place. They are in an irregular square pattern and different in color than the rest.

Now squirt a small amount of cleaner on each side of each tumbler. You can hold in the reset to release the tumblers and use a pencil tip eraser to rotate the tumblers individually. You will also want to hit the row of timing gears that interface with the tumblers that are on the reset assembly. Lastly hit the reset slide, this looks like a bloated rectangle, flat top and bottom, rounded ends. This will allow the reset to move smoothly.

If after this things still seem to not move smoothly don't get nervous and hit everything again, this stuff likes to creap and will work it's way in completely. It took a few drives for everything to work in but it works flawlessly now

Oh :censor: I didn't do as I was told and sprayed the RS cleaner in the tack while it was still on the combination meter (head unit) :crybaby:

Now I have all that oil all over the inside and it leaked on to the plastic printed circuit board and the circuit board in the head.

If I plug the combination meter in, will it short out from the oil?
How do I get rid of the oil without damaging the electronics?

I have some QD Electronic Cleaner spray and Lectra-Motive electric parts cleaner.
Can I spray them on the circuit boards to clean them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom