• DT 3000

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Pre-Runner 8000

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Bilsteins baby!

Votes: 14 41.2%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
I wanted to gather the opinions of you all.

I am piecing together my lift and wanted to try the Doetsch Tech shocks, only question is, which one?

I have heard people using the MV-12, DT 3000, or the Pre-Runner 8000.

Let me know which one you went with, why, and have they lived to your expectation?

TIA,

the 8000 are a nice compromise between the soft 3000's and the really stiff Rancho 5000's. My dad runs the 8000's on his 40 w/ a 4" lift. The 8000's are ~$32 ea.
-Brian

no experience with the MV-12
Liked my DT3000's, had 8000's too quite a few years back with no complaints.

the Bilstein 5150/5125 series are no comparison tho....much better control, and still rides well.

woody, I can not find these bilstein's you speak of. I am looking for some 12 " travel and most seem to measure 17.5 ( +/-) collapsed and 28.25 (+/-) extended which would work except my uptravel in front is limited to about four inches which sucks but seems livable. I do not wanna do ford towers cause that will only add about 2 in. of droop and I can do that by making new axle end mounts for the CRAPPY ES3000'S I got now. Help.

if you want more travel, you must get more distance betwen the mounts....the ford towers rock for that, and I also lowered my axle mounts for more distance.

http://www.bilstein.com - skip the flash crap and find the 5125 and 5150 series stuff. 255/70 valving.

on a 12" stroke shock, you want 1/3 of the rod showing, so 4" is perfect IMO. I'm not even sure I have that much showing and I use all 14.3" of stroke on my suspension....droop rocks :D

I went with the DT8000's for the rear of my 55...they seem to have a nice ride, not too stiff, not too sloppy...I have the DT3000's up front and they are a little soft...may not be an issue with your 40 tho...

PabloCruise said:
Thanks Ben!

You gonna be in the Fort at all this week? I wouldn't mind taking another look at the Pig to feel those shocks...

I'm heading over tonight to pickup some chairs, out at Mulberry & I-25...I'm sure we could find a spot to meet...let me know! I'll PM my number.

Alright, one last question, Brain and All

If I am adding 4" lift and F250 towers at the same time, am I best to get everything on and then measure and order?

The P/N's 3/8/9/+277 have 10" travel ~25" extended and ~14" compressed, so that looks close to what I envision this setup needing...

If I am adding 4" lift and F250 towers at the same time, am I best to get everything on and then measure and order?

If I was doing that yes i would wait .I know I did cause each rig will sit a little different and the weight you have unless you are in a major hurry I would wait

I am looking at shocks myself. I have 4" alcans going on my fj62 as soon as i save the $ for the shocks. I have the cash for the other odds and ends. I spend 85% of my time on the road. But will be doing some offroading. I know bilsteins are good on road and seem to be offroad if you get them the right length. I know I should measure, but this car is my DD so I cant really install then order shocks after i measure.

So which would I need and for the $ what is the best. route?

I dont wanna do this twice. Doetsch seem to be the cheaper of the 2 (I am considering the 8000) unless there are others that are comprable.

What type of cost are we looking at on the Bilsteins? I was told about $75 ea. from liquidoffroad, but i forgot to get a part # as to which ones.

Help a guy out so he can get his lift on, I am strugglin having it sit in my garage :)

89s rule said:
I am looking at shocks myself. I have 4" alcans going on my fj62 as soon as i save the $ for the shocks. I have the cash for the other odds and ends. I spend 85% of my time on the road. But will be doing some offroading. I know bilsteins are good on road and seem to be offroad if you get them the right length. I know I should measure, but this car is my DD so I cant really install then order shocks after i measure.

I'm running 4" Alcans on my 55...wait to order shocks...nothing like a suspension with the wrong shocks limiting it, inhibiting it...etc...you could blow up to short of shocks as well...and that could get $$$$$...I drove mine before a few days without shocks...not that big of deal...and with Alcans...they are going to start out taller and settle to correct height...so I would say...flex the crap out of her and soon as you put them on...you'll need to do that to measure for shocks anyways...

98s rule said:
So which would I need and for the $ what is the best. route?

hmmmm...tough call...I run the Doetsch 8000's and really like them...I went with them over the bilsteins becuase of money at the time...I don't regret it. I'm running the 13.5" travel shocks in the rear...not that I'll ever use that...but they fit nicely.

98s rule said:
I dont wanna do this twice. Doetsch seem to be the cheaper of the 2 (I am considering the 8000) unless there are others that are comprable.

Nuff said...wait to order til you measure...otherwise you will be doing it twice...

98s rule said:
What type of cost are we looking at on the Bilsteins? I was told about $75 ea. from liquidoffroad, but i forgot to get a part # as to which ones.

Help a guy out so he can get his lift on, I am strugglin having it sit in my garage :)

try shaffers offroad...I know the run specials from time to time but not much cheaper than that...seems to be the going price...got my Doetsch's for $34.00 from summit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom