Real time help - I wanna snip 97 antenna wires!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We've talked about this a few times as a group, and I'd like to volunteer to be the first to disconnect the auto up/down feature on the 97 antenna. I like my 93's manual feature with the up/down buttons. So, I've got the dash apart to replace a few light bulbs - anyone have a 97 FSM that could give me a phone number so I can identify the offending wires on the back of the stereo while I'm in there? You could post them here as well, though fast would be good.

My cell is 208-762-3451 if anyone can call with this ASAP.

Thanks in advance!

DougM

Violet wire, pin # 8, bottom row on your left as you look at the open end of the plug.

5 minute response time for an answer. Mud if fawkin better than 911.

Hats of to Czbizkit as usual. :cheers:

Just got Dan's info, but question for you 97 owners. When you use the up/down switches, does one push run it all the way up or down? Or when you let off the switch does the antenna stop? I've never had mine operating as I bought it broken, but the 93 antenna only moves if you have a finger on the button.

I need the answer, but the reason I'm asking is that I've found a wire that goes hot for 10 seconds (assuming it raises or lowers the antenna all the way as expected) when the radio first gets power. But the same wire does the same thing if up/down is switched, so I'm wondering even if after I disconnect the radio from moving the antenna if I'm still left with kind of an "auto up" or "auto down" function on the buttons.

DougM

Probably not a great answer, since mine doesn't do auto up or auto down for some reason ('96).

Mine only goes up or down when I hold the button.

I like the fact that it is full manual.

Charlie

Doug ,

My up/down antenna did not work on my 97 until I connected the blue wire . To be honest I don't remember if my manual buttons worked before connecting that blue .

My manual buttons have never initiated an auto up or down ... they always stop antenna movement when I release them .. whether going up or down .

TY

T Y L E R said:
Doug ,

My up/down antenna did not work on my 97 until I connected the blue wire . To be honest I don't remember if my manual buttons worked before connecting that blue .

My manual buttons have never initiated an auto up or down ... they always stop antenna movement when I release them .. whether going up or down .

TY

Mine act like momentary switches too.

Also the down button will not allow the antenna to fully retract on my '97. Only when the radio is turned off will it go ALL the way down.

True of mine also .. the antenna will NOT retract all the way in manual . I always wuss out and turn off the radio at the car wash , worried the amount that remains up in manual might get clipped off somehow :rolleyes:

TY

Disconnected the violet wire by pulling it out of the connector. But now nothing works - that wire doesn't go hot anymore for 10 seconds either by pushing an up/down switch or by turning the radio on or off. Interestingly, the little relay under the glovebox that clicks to shut off the power after 10 secs does not click either. So this must be a wire that controls whether the antenna gets power period, eh?

Any other guesses?

DougM

You will need to by-pass the antenna control assembly. I think I may know a way. Call me.

If anyone has an electrical manual, focus on the two connectors right at the antenna. One has two wires (blue with black stripe and blue with red stripe) and the other connector has a lot more. The blue with red stripe is the one that goes hot for about 10 seconds when the radio is powered up. I thought I was done when I figured this out - just disconnect this as it's obviously the power that automatically cycles the antenna. But then discovered hitting an up/down switch does the same thing, so this power must be needed for up/down switch function as well.

If I knew what the two wires do on this connector, as well as the other connector with more, I'd be well along the curve. But working alone I can't use my multimeter underhood to see what each wire does when the buttons are pushed. ....

DougM

Calling....

Doug,

In my '97, the antenna switch is a monetary one, i.e., sends signal to the antenna as long as you hold the button in (up or down). The miminum length of the antenna rod is approximately 3-5" off the fender with the radio on; and it's adjustable of course using the button. And this length setting is also remembered so that the next time you turn the radio on, then antenna rod only extends that far. That said, the antenna rod is almost fully adjustable, with only minimum extension limitation. The rod is fully retracted if CD or cassette is used.

May I ask what seems to be the issue with your ('97) antenna here?

He wants it to be manual like a 91-96 is.

I think we have a solution. If he does not catch fire we will tell you about it....;)

Same for a '98

cruiserdan said:
He wants it to be manual like a 91-96 is.

That's exactly what I would like to do to my 100 series '98.
Up/down every time you start the truck and/or turn on the radio ends up either frying the motor (expensive) or messing the nylon dented strip (not that expensive, but a pain in the neck to change if it broke inside)

Any idea if the '97 solution will apply to the '98?

Be sure to take really good pictures of the flames, it is truely a wonderful(ha ha, cry, cry) site to watch flames coming out of a dash as you stand by as a shop owner rushes from your side to the car with a fire extinguisher. And then try to explain how that happened to the car you just bought. Video is better than stills, we want them. later robbie

No luck so far. We tried a jumper on some of the antenna controller connections to no avail. Fairly complex. Any electrical gurus out there with a diagram? Dan and I are on speaker trying.

DougM

Got your message bro, I'll try to sneak a peek at the electricals tonight. Working 12-hour shifts, wifey expects some family stuff out of me when I get home. Good thing she's keeping me on the right track. If I'm stumped I'll take it to the controls engineers at work!

Thanks! I'm buttoning it up and will post later tonight what we tried and what the result was.

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom