Seatbelt Problems (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 99' Lx470 and i am having problems with the seatbelts retracting back into their position after someone takes them off. They will retract fine if you have to give them a little help. I was just wondering if their was a simple adjustment or fix or if this is normal after 135,000 miles?

Thanks

My 98 Camry and my 98 LC both have this weak retraction problem. Seatbelts should have a Government mandated 100k ( or More) Warranty! They are lot more important than emissions gear.

If fixing this problem was just a matter of cleaning or Lubing something that would be great.

Last edited:
Same wity my 100 and 80......and about every damn Toyota I know that has close to 100K on it.........crappy design.

Usually the top piviot slide on the rear where you cant see it gits all gunked up with debri and slows down the works,
The toyota fix is to cut a small strip of velcro( the male side with the hooks )in a strip about 1 inch wide by about 5 inches long and feed it inbetween the belt and the piviot and slide/pull it in and out to remove gunk ,
i know it sounds odd but it really works great:
in the loss of velcro in the shop i have also used fine sand paper 500 w/dry .
combined with some simple green/ 409/ or degreaser of choice ,
to not risk staining the belt pull it all the way out before you start so if you oops it will be retracted in and no worries .

seriousley it works !!!!!!!!

Yep. That fix works on all Toyotas. You do need to re-clean that slide about once a year.

LT

great fix......I will try that this weekend.

a buddy of mine with a Tundra is so pissed at his seat belts he is considering not buying another Toyota......and he was looking at a new 100 series, if this works he will be happy

If it does not work you could complain to Toyota and if they find a problem they will fix it regardless if it still under warranty or not. Safety related item are lifetime warranty from all manufacturer due to federal law requirement. This also apply to SRS airbag. If you have problem and the car/truck never been in an accident the manufacturer are liable to fix it regardless of age.

Most dealer are hesitant to do this because they get a lot less money on warranty work and most are not even realize that the manufacturer are liable to fix all safety equipment for the life of the vehicle.

fj55-100 said:
Usually the top piviot slide on the rear where you cant see it gits all gunked up with debri and slows down the works,
The toyota fix is to cut a small strip of velcro( the male side with the hooks )in a strip about 1 inch wide by about 5 inches long and feed it inbetween the belt and the piviot and slide/pull it in and out to remove gunk ,
i know it sounds odd but it really works great:
in the loss of velcro in the shop i have also used fine sand paper 500 w/dry .
combined with some simple green/ 409/ or degreaser of choice ,
to not risk staining the belt pull it all the way out before you start so if you oops it will be retracted in and no worries .

seriousley it works !!!!!!!!

What is the top pivot slide on the rear? The hinged adjustable part that redirects the belt 180 degrees, or the part where the belt comes out of along-side the door frame? A stupid question, I know, but me no comprende and I didn't want to velcro the entire assembly.

"Top pivot slide" is the highest part of the seatbelt system. i.e. where the shoulder belt slides above your shoulder. I cleaned mine and it instantly fixed my problem.

Reactions: KDL
The slide is the metal part of the assembly that is fastened to the B pillar above your shoulder. Twist it around and look *under* the belt at the metal/plastic guides where the belt slides in and out as you put it on, take it off (a few thousand times since it was cleaned, probably).
You should easily see the thin layer of black gunk that builds up -- it may not look like much of a problem, but removing it will substantially improve the rewind of your seat belts.

I hope it helps you as much as it did me!

LT

That is a great suggestion 55.

It's nice to have you on board 55.

Velcro'ed the gunk out of mine this weekend. You may not be able to see the gunk, but it is there. Much better. Thanks.

I have a 1,000 Watt steam cleaner that I purchased from harbor freight this year - used it on my seat belts and it has improved the release tremendously.

Also: many have "cleaned" the actual seat belts by a) fully extending and hanging outside the door, b) close door, c)high pressure spray the webing (think carwash wand soapy setting followed by plain water setting), d) allow to dry.

I have not done this, but it is 100 mud history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom