Top Speed in a 40 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I am heading down to Flagstaff to Pick up the 79 Cruiser I just bought this weekend.

When I was talking to the "old timer" - elderly man - I bought it from he said - it is not a race car....not fast - well it has the stock 4 speed and transfer case outa the 79 coupled to a 350 - I just drove it around the block so...

Now how fast will I cruise? It should do 65 ? Right?

:whoops:

mine, with v8/465 will do well over a hundred, but i wouldn't recommend it. i used to run 75-80 before i swapped to the 4.56's...now 65 is just below the secondary's. keep it below three grand if you have a four barrel otherwise you'll really get to watch that fuel gauge drop fast. :D

Cool, I will post when I get it home friday - I hope it cruises - just figure he is in his late 70's

:cool: With a tree fitty should haul if needed but drivetrain vibes and rear end gears will be the complainers. Just go 60 and enjoy the view. You will still be the coolest dude on the road. :cool: :cool: :cool:

Oh just noted it is a 79 so 3.73 rear end. My brothers 82 flat hauls ass with a 2F and 32s. Should run down the road like a raped ape on crack. Be easy on the old girl!

Your humor is appreciated - the old dude made it sound like it would go about 45...........

On the Rez there ain't nothin but scenery! Oh and an occasional drunk or Skinwalker....

Any good fly fishin on the Rez ? Heard about some rare native trout. (Fishing for an invite...)

Doc - c'mon over - you can come over and stay with us anytime! Yep, a place called Tsalie - which is over near Canyon de Chelly (worth a 4wheel run) then you head on up to what is referred to as Whiskey Lake - the natives stock it with Trout - good fishing. I have never fished there but my dad says it is great -

DocB said:
Should run down the road like a raped ape on crack.

lmfao!

Mine did like 80 once. No really! I was coming down from the mountains and the brakes went out.... :doh:

done 80+ in the 82 fj40 with 33's, 70 is a breeze.
in the stock 65 fj45 with 28's..........65mph is about all ya want to do, 60 is much more comfy.

Yep, Pimp - my 60 will cruise along at 85 with the NV4500 in 5th......bout 2500 on the tack - course the MPG's ain't good -

74 with 4.11's, worn out F, 3 spd and 33" swampers does 70-75 all day long.

Jim C carb and FJ60 ignition helped mucho with the top end stuff.

cruiseroutfit said:
I hit a 95mph once.. that was with 4.56's, 35's and a H55f :D

32 feet per second per second till you hit the ground? ;)

My 79 with a 2f, 4 spd, and 33's with stock 3.73 gears easily cruises at 75. I've had it over 85 on a few occasions, but even with a nice tight saginaw steering setup and all new tie rods it's a but scary.

How do you all keep on the road over 60? At sixty I need all 3 lanes. Stay off the sidewalks. :)

i hit seventy and i start getting scared. to squirrely for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom