40 rear disc conversion? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

H

Hodag

If you have a bottomless wallet, I'm sure you can find someone to build one for you. If you want to stop, put on the Monte parts and be done with it. Hodag

LukeO said:
I've searched a little and not found what I'm looking for.

Anyone make a rear disc brake conversion kit that uses Cruiser Calipers?

I'd rather keep the drums than use a kit with GM parts.

I looked for the same thing but found Toyota calipers where about twice the price of the Monte Carlo calipers and nobody makes brackets. I've been running RDB's for about a year and think the GM parts stop my 35's better then my OEM's on the front. I went from 4 wheel drums to front discs then to 4 wheel discs and the difference between each step was very noticable.

I just don't have the patients to keep 'adjusting' the rear drums. That said, if properly adjusted the drums will stop and hold better then disc. The 60 rear axle on the daughters rig will keep the drums, but they are single cylinder.

Does anyone make a FJ60 drum to FJ40 axle conversion? That would be the best setup IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cruiser disks are non floating. The rear axle has a little bit of in and out movement that will prematurely wear on the rotors and pads with a fixed mount. GM monte carlo calipers are 15 bucks a piece available at any parts store and did I say 15 bucks a piece. With a properly set up proportioning valve and master cylinder to accomodate the fluid it should stop great and give you no problems.

Yeah, I'd say just swallow your pride and go with the GM - they really do kick ass. Super easy and super cheap as well.

TSM makes a nice kit for under $500. Complete with brackets, machined rotors and loaded calipers. Lines might be extra. 303 688 6882.

Please tell them you saw their ad in Toyota Trails! (I'll buy you a beer at Cruise Moab) :D

Chris

hatfieldcb said:
TSM makes a nice kit for under $500. Complete with brackets, machined rotors and loaded calipers. Lines might be extra. 303 688 6882.

Please tell them you saw their ad in Toyota Trails! (I'll buy you a beer at Cruise Moab) :D

Chris
gotta grind em though?? doncha

nope they send the rotors already cut.

CruisinGA said:
So then what happens when you need new rotors?

Have to buy some from them?
any machine shop can turn the chevy rotors

you can't tell me atlanta's only got one machine shop :D

like every one said nothing wrong with the monte calipers, i went caddy also, but if you dont want to go with a proportioning valve use a 4runner master from a 4/w disc set up (92 or 94) with out ABS, thats what i did bolts right in. that way the bias is pre set, no adjusting a valve to get it right. i replaced every thing being the rig was 28 years old and original. i know a lot of people dont like www.jtoutfitters.com but thats were i got my brackets and the master cylinder i got the rear stainless lines from www.tsm.com 50.00 a pair and www.man-a-fre.com is were i got stainless lines for the frame to the axles and to the calipers in front 99.00, you dont have to go that far you can just use the rubber lines from napa (part # are in the tech.section) and the rotors i believe are from like a 82 chevy 2 wheel drive truck and any machine shop should be able to machine the centers for around 10.00 each. you should be able to get every thing other than the brackets local and save some cash. dont be in a hurry and shop around, i looked for months before deciding what i wanted to do. good luck and study the tech section.

If replacement rotors are a big concern you can always have the axle end cut down to the inside diameter of the stock chevy rotor so unturned chevy rotors would work.... If you can find a reputable machine shop.

the monte caliper are great, I just finished the conversion myself and love it. I did preety much the same a lonegunman did. I replaced everything (new matser from a 94 80 series with 4 wheel disc, steel bradied line...) super easy to do also.

Last edited:
secretagent looks good, glad i could help you too! how do you like it. stops great doesnt it.

I love it, one of the better mods I've done lately. Now I just got to figure out this flippin' alt/iso wiring. :confused:

If you have a bottomless wallet, I'm sure you can find someone to build one for you. If you want to stop, put on the Monte parts and be done with it. Hodag
FJ &BJ 42 Cruisers (1982 & newer) use single cylinder rear drum brakes with auto-adjusting and e-brakes included. They work better than the double cylinder brakes - you actually have one shoe in each drum that works when you are backing up - and are better and more reliable (less maintenance) than the old double cylinder brakes.

Would the toyota truck rear brake drum stuff bolt up to the FJ40 rear outters? IF so, why not just use this kit, or obtain the same parts in this kit.
http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfo...id=94&osCsid=4b840b478fd208dd19395b42ed97c1a3
Then you can use the drive flanges instead of lockouts for better strength, I`m sure these are off of the FJ80 front axles with full time four wheel drive.
http://frontrangeoffroadfab.com/nfo...id=47&osCsid=4b840b478fd208dd19395b42ed97c1a3
Then you can have custom length axles made out of 4340 chrome moly.
http://www.diamondaxle.com/rear_nonsteering.htm
I could be wrong, but just a thought

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom