Turbo Position (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.shopraddcruisers.ca
Safari boasts the pulse manifold, equal length runners would be ideal in the real world but prolly not from a manufacturing stand point.

I would like to see a shot of Waynes setup on his 75?

Rob
DSC00568.JPG

i would be willing to take some pics but the wife has the truck and i will not be near a computor for the remainder of the weekend...

Radd,
Is that a Safari turbo? I thought they weren't available anymore. How much is that kit?

Craig.

Nope thats the Denco unit, using a Switzer turbo.

As mentioned earlier, I like the cast in bung for the piro.
DSC00562.JPG
DSC00563.JPG
DSC00566.JPG

Good to see these pics. I started building my turbo ex. manifold this weekend....using 1/2 x 4 " cold rolled plate for the flange on the head/ turbo mount and schedule 40 weld els for primarys and collector . Patterns and templates are being made so I may build a few to sell....any takers ?Will post pics when finished.
Daryl

fjbj40 said:
Good to see these pics. I started building my turbo ex. manifold this weekend....using 1/2 x 4 " cold rolled plate for the flange on the head/ turbo mount and schedule 40 weld els for primarys and collector . Patterns and templates are being made so I may build a few to sell....any takers ?Will post pics when finished.
Daryl

depends on the price and how it works out with the whole kit. but I am still looking for an option. can't afford the 3k price. I know the kits are good. Just hard to pay for. post the pics of your manifold. I am interested.

I'm in the process of putting a 13B-T manifold (from G & S Cruiserparts) onto my 3B with a junkyard turbo (Chrysler Lebaron). The only hard part is that there is some fabrication needed to adapt the mounting surfaces. All told I'm in for about $600. I'll post as it comes along.

Craig.

Holy crap that's a great idea! Keep us informed. Will any turbo work with that manifold?

B

Yes you could put any turbo on, but you want to make sure it's the right turbo for the engine. Someone smarter than me figured it out that a LeBaron Turbo works just about perfectly with the 3B, and a couple of friends are running those turbos very happily. They're about $75 from the local wrecker and a dime a dozen, but a real pain to pull. I've also heard that a CT-26 from the MR2 (specifically the 3GTSE engine) works well too, NOT the Supra one though, too big.

Anyway, all I'm doing is welding a piece of 3/4" cold rolled steel to the mounting surface of the 13B-T manifold (which is a direct bolt up to the 3B), port matching the entrys and mounting it with some 3/8" bolts tapped into the adaptor plate.

You need access to a welder, die grinder, a hole saw preferably on a drill press, and a few basic fab skills. I went through a few designs first which were much more complicated before I came up with this design, which is better.

13B-T manifold from G&S; http://www.gscruiserparts.com/, you'll have to email them direct and it takes a bit to get the manifold from Japan, but I got it and it was new in the box, which was pretty cool.

Craig.

Only one good one so far. The above is the 13B-T manifold all shiny and new out of the box, showing the sweet mounting position of the turbo with even lengths for gases from each cylinder to travel to the turbo.

Below is a comparison shot with the stock 3B manifold. Some people have had good luck simply flipping the 3B manifold, I attached a picture from the web of someone who has done this.

Craig.
Turbo Project 002 Thumnail.JPG
479659_3_full.jpg

Wayne that is funny, but whatever works right.
Thanks for the pics lumpy, I might get one of those too.
Lumpy is that a flange on there u had made? The ct26 from the mr2 would bolt right on there with a different flange it looks like.
john

true but a little thought would be nice...
that much weight hanging off the manifold with no support?!? now that can not be good...
cheers

Jzilla,
No that isn't a flange I welded on, that is the stock Toyota surface. I very strongly believe (99% sure) that a CT26 from an MR2 (not, repeat NOT FROM A SUPRA) would bolt right up to that manifold, as Toyota likes to make many of their parts fit one another.

I was looking for an MR2 turbo on ebay (there are plenty) for a while so I could directly bolt it up, but then I decided that the Chrylser T3's are so cheap and so readily available that if my turbo dies I can go pick one from the wrecker for $75 Cdn and have it in the next day.

You (or anyone else) are looking for the CT26 from an MR2 or Celica. Whichever car had the 3GTSE engine. The Supra one (with the 7MGTE engine) is WAY to big for a 3B and it won't spool up properly.

In general, any turbo from a 1.8L to a 2.2L gas engine is perfect for the 3B. This includes some Volvos, Lebarons, some K-Cars, Dodge Shadows, New Yorkers, Daytonas, MR2's, Celicas, possibly a turbo from a 22RE (not quite sure about that) and many others that I can't think of this early in the morning. I think kits for/from some Hondas would work too.

Craig.

Also, many of the CT26's from the MR2's have twin entry pots, which are different from the mounting surface on the 13B-T manifold. You want the ones with the single round hole.

Craig.

Just use the alternator oil feed line to feed the turbo and the alternator oil return line as the return for the turbo , just tee into both. Keep it simple , you do not need a dedicated oil resevoir,pump and cooler for your turbo system. You are making a super simple thing complicate by doing that.
If you plan on running 7 psi then an intercooler is not required , the intake charge temp will not be high enough to warrant the pumping loss associated with intercoolers plus the added expense and extra plumbing .
Daryl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom