203 Doubler question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been rebuilding my t-case but while I was playing with the shifter on the side of my 203 the output shaft only turns when the shifter is in the forward most position???? with the truck in gear??? I would think that one position would be 4 high, 4 low and netural....I am not really thinking very straight I guess but I can't figure out what position would make my truck move...hmmm I think I might be a tard....any help with be greatfully appreciated since this truck has been sitting in my yard for months... :confused:

IIRC, as you look at the shifter on the side of the 203, rotating it clockwise is low range, and rotating it counterclockwise is high range. I believe there is a neutral in between, but I forget. haven't driven the truck for awhile and it's not where I'm at right now, so can't be certain of any of this :flipoff2:

Thanks for the info...I now just need to figure out why it does not seem to work in the low position.....hmmmm

got plenty of leverage on it? trying to shift it while rotating driveline (usually helps)? I've never been inside one, so no idea what might be going on there. did you rebuild it/have it apart?

yes I had it apart and someone else rebuilt it/ put it back together....It seams to shift or engage in all three positions but only turns the out put shaft in one....hmmmmm

It seems like it clicks into all three positions but it also appears that I have tow neutrals and only one gear that engages...

is this behind an automatic? if so, it will only spin in one direction because there is a sprag (one way clucth unit) in the back of the trans that only allows the output shaft to freewheel one way.

Tim, I've never seen the inside of a 203, so this is a wild guess on my part. It is based on the landcruiser configuration, where a fork moves a sleeve across a shaft, engaging gears at either end with neutral in the middle.

Is it possible that you get gear engagement at one end but not the other, or is the gear engagement in the middle position. I am thinking there is a possibility that something akin to a shift fork maybe riding alongside a shifter sleeve, rather than nested in the sleeve, so that it can push the sleeve onto one gear only.

Again, just a long shot from someone that knows NOTHING about 203s but likes to try and be helpful. :)

Exploded view of the doubler

http://www.bonnifer.com/Images/np203 exploded view.jpg

A couple of pics of the inside here

http://www.bonnifer.com/Cruiserhome/Th400-NP203-LCtransfercase.htm

I would think you could open up the PTO cover and look to see if the slider is pushing all the way in both directions. Seems to me I had to do that with mine.

The fork does fit into a slider that moves back and forth across and engages the input shaft/ It needs to move all the way onto the shaft it engages with to make a good connection.

Thanks guys....I will hopefully get a chance to look at it soon....trees are comming down in my backyard and no where to look at it....

Thread back from teh dead....Looking at the exploded diagram it looks like I am missing my low speed gear??? Did you guys end up with one or two gears on the out put shaft???

Any help would be greatly appreciated... :beer: :beer:

The problem was solved with a missing gear....Thanks for all the help...

HOLD on, you were missing a gear? what took up that space?

How could it ever move?

I only had one gear on the out put shaft....I looked at the exploded diagram and saw I was missing a gear...don't know what was holding it all together to tell you the truth...But the gear floats on the shaft and only engages when shifted into...kind of a poor explination...but searching here and and on pirate it makes sense to me and also when I took the 203 apart today in the junk yard it was the same way....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom