OK, next call for FAQ topics: "Drivetrain"! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
anything you would suggest?
looking for good "how-tos" or good tech threads on drivetrain related stuff:
fixes, leaks, gearing, driveshaft balancing, any such thing!

Anybody?

(remember no promise I'll put them all up, sorry, got to compromise...)

how about the lube points:
diffs6 001.jpg

Here's the diff and t-case plugs:

Whoops. It's too big a file to load. The crappy pictures in th FSM aren't accurate, anyways.

Last edited:
anybody else on good threads for drivetrain?

Btt

excellent one, I put it on
thanks

The diagram has some text at the bottom saying...

"b) Tightening bolts for propeller shaft. See page PR-7"

But there's nothing showing up on page PR-7 in my FSM. What bolts are they talking about??????

Can somebody please mark up that image and point to the bolts that Toyota expects me to tighten every time I do an O/L/F change?

is there a way to have the pictures hosted by ih8mud.com , therefor the older (but very helpful) FAQ's don't loose great pictures?

I asked about this very important issue previously and was told the FAQ just contains a link to the thread. I think the mods should be able to change this so that what ever goes into the FAQ is a totally different thread and all the pictures are indeed hosted by the FAQ thread itself, not the individual or picture server that someone puts them on. Many times I have looked for things and the photos have not been there because someones website is down or no longer in existance or the person has deleted photos as they have run out of room for more pics etc. This needs to be changed.

The diagram has some text at the bottom saying...

"b) Tightening bolts for propeller shaft. See page PR-7"

But there's nothing showing up on page PR-7 in my FSM. What bolts are they talking about??????

Can somebody please mark up that image and point to the bolts that Toyota expects me to tighten every time I do an O/L/F change?

They are talking about all eight bolts on each propeller (drive) shaft. There are no others so they won't be hard to locate.

In my 98 FSM the diagram on PR-2 shows the eight bolts on each shaft that attach the shaft to the diff and the T-case.

Tighten the eight front shaft bolts to 59ft/lbs each and the eight rear shaft bolts to 78 ft/lbs each.

Thanks NMUZJ100...

I've wondered about that for a long time...

Do you loosen each bolt first, before retorquing?

Or do you just put a torque wrench on them and crank?

My FSM data page downloaded fro Alldata says to lubricate Drive Shaft Bushing. From what I can tell this is not part of the propeller shaft, but part of the front drive shaft. I have been all over the drive shaft pages and have found no reference to the "bushing." Is it called something else? Can someone point me in the right direction? Sorry for such a noob question.

What size grease gun does the pins suit.Does the the boat trailer grease gun suit or do you need one of those guns with a hose.

Holy thread revival Batman!

What size grease gun does the pins suit.Does the the boat trailer grease gun suit or do you need one of those guns with a hose.
Most grease gun tips should fit most grease zerks. So basically any handheld grease gun should work whether it has a hose or fixed tube end.

I took this off to get to my drive shaft towards the front of my vehicle. Any reason why I should put it back on? It’s plastic so I don’t see it protecting much and looks like a part of it has already broke off.

IMG_0964.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom