203 to split case linkage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ever done the 203 doubler install and had any luck with the linkage?? I would really like any pics or advice... :) :)

Warpdriv,
I am in the middle of a very similiar swap, 5.7vortec/4l60e/203/splitcase for me. Do you have anymore pics of your rig you can post or send me? really interested in your tranfer shifters, and front drive shaft if ya got some. Gumby, Thinking of triple shifting it also, got any pics or comments?
Thanks
RickyB

lets keep the ideas rolling...there has to be someone out there that has done this and is happy with the way it turned out...

Not that hard. Might have to weld a tab on the splitcase highlow shifter tho. We did this on the Sherpa (203 doubler) but it was like 2-3 years ago..
the high/low on a splitcase is not sitting in the correct orientation for a front-back type shift arrangement thus you'll have to weld a tab on it. was originally made for a side to side high low shift arrangement.

Go to an airplane surplus place and get some rod ends.. Get some square stock Drill it, and mount on the side of the tranny. Slice that square stock into pieces, get shfter stock from McMastercarr or similar weld to the square stock slices that is mounted to the tranny. Use the rod ends for each piece. Attach to the bottom of the square stock a flat bar you can drill and mount the rod ends to . . Move the rod ends up or down depending on how far you want to shift the lever in the cab to swing into gear.
Hardest part is getting the 4wd to go to the case. You want it all to float with the tranny/tcase not fixed to the body or it will pop out. I am re-doing my linkages on my toybox as they popped out with flex and scared the crap out of me!

TXFJ40,

Those are the only pic on my web site I have. It's kinda of funny we spend all this time working our cruisers and THEN remember to take pics after we get it back together.

Note I made a bracket that goes from my NP203 to the tranny. I did this because there are 4 bolts holding in the tcases to the aluminum tranny. I striped out all the holes.

Good luck,

I kinda cheated. I used a stock hurst shifter from a suburban to control the 203 and the stock vacuum shifter for the front axle and mechanicl for the H/L on the LC case.

Just got a pic from the top. Not much help. I did change the pivot on the transfer case to shift forward to back, rather than side to side. The 203 is easy. the hard part is the 2wd/4wd. I haven't got that all sorted out yet. It will be so much easier with the body off that I'm just going to wait for now.
shifters.jpg

I've got the 203 behind an H55F that TornadoAlleyCruiser's talking about...I've got 8 1MB pictures that I can send ya, can your email system take it, Tim? If so post up the email address you want me to use. I'll try to figure out how to resize them so we can get them posted up here.

I'm in the process (somewhat delayed!) of triple-sticking it...got hi-lo on the doubler and the splitcase done, and never got around to 4wd, so I guess I'm twin-sticked so far. My setup works good, so we'll get the pictures up, and I'll translate Erik's explanation into English :flipoff2:

Steve

Here's a picture of the whole thing from the side, below. Tomorrow I'll post up the rest, now that I figured out how to resize and got me a star :doh:

Steve
whole linkage small.jpg

Looks like you got right on painting that after I welded it up huh! :flipoff2:
Now.. Anyone find a triple stick boot yet? I've got a couple of twinstick boots but no triple stick boots..
Wow. I'm glad the memory isn't totally shot!

I think the 4wd/2wd shaft is hardened and none of us are gonna be able to drill it out.. Which is gonna be a problem.. I want to do the same thing on my FJ40 here very shortly but havent' gotten the Tcase attached to the doubler yet.. Not sure exactly how to do the 4wd shifter yet..

find a sleeve whose ID will slide over the OD of the 4WD shift shaft, then find a way to make the sleeve interfere with the slot on the shaft...maybe drill and tap two holes, one at either end of that slot, and run bolts into those holes to work like setscrews at either end of the slot so the sleeve can't slide off. or some other way of locking the sleeve to the shaft. that way you can leave the shaft unmodified.

Dang Bubba.. You got a pretty good idea there! Cause it doesn't matter, we'll all have our tcases moved back so an extension on the 4wd shaft engager is not gonna be a big deal!
Wish that stupid vacuum pot on the FJ62 Tcase wasn't so darn big!

OK...

Here's a picture of the hi-low shifter on the splitcase...weld a piece of strap to the existing lever at 90 degrees, this leaves the lever functional if you go back to original linkage, makes it usable for fore-and-aft motion...
90 degree strap on OEM rod small.jpg

Here's the strap I made for the 203 hi-low...I built this linkage the night before leaving for Moab, so had no idea what lengths to make everything to get shift lever motion, force required, and distance needed to move at the gearboxes...so I made each lever way long and drilled several holes so I could play with ratios as I went. with this strap and the strap on the splitcase oriented the way I have it, the corresponding shift levers travel in the same direction for high and for low (I can never remember which direction that is!)
strap on 203 doubler small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom