Mini truck hubs disks onto 45s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When doing this mod does it give any differance to the WMS,Planning IFS mini hubs front and 60s complete rear to match

do you mean, does it make the front end wider? if so, then no. I did this on my 45, used mini truck knuckles/hubs ect, fj60 rotors and matching calipers, no wider than stock

4BGaz said:
Planning IFS mini hubs front

This is the part that throws me.....

I didn't think you could run IFS hubs on SAmini knuckles...can you?

manny

Not that I am aware of...

You can, just run the rotor adapter to put the solid disc in the right place, and keep the non vented calipers. 4BGaz, you are referring to the wheel hub where the bearings sit, not the lockouts, right?

Dave

keep in mind that the housings in older ball joint front ends in 45's will require a special seal to replace the oem brass bushing when you change over to birfs.

Yes, IFS hubs can be used with SA mini knuckles. For the full story look in the FAQs of the Toy-mini section on PBB.

Will work fine.. Cept for the problem of a bushing in the front axle that will need to be pounded out and replaced with an oil seal with the correct ID and OD to fit the inner shafts. you'll need to source new inner shafts as well because the Minitruck stuff doesn't fit the FJ40. You can adapt the ball/claw front axle to fit the disks.
The IFS hub conversion will make the front as wide as an FJ60 rear axle. I have that setup on my FJ40. TRE's will be a different taper but can be changed.
Will need new spider gears to change from course to fine spline as well.

This truck in in AU folks...

I would bet that it does not have the bushing in the front axle....

Poser said:
This truck in in AU folks...

I would bet that it does not have the bushing in the front axle....

Why do you say that? I'm planning the same thing on a '67 FJ45LV and need to know if my axle housing will work or not.

cruiser_guy said:
Why do you say that? I'm planning the same thing on a '67 FJ45LV and need to know if my axle housing will work or not.

Well, for starters, the poster is in Sydney, so odds on, he has a 45 that is post 1967.

According to Iggie, there is a seal that you can install in the housing to replace the bushing that will allow you to use fing birfs in a ball and claw housing. You will most likley be required to open up the housings to premit the fing birf to fit properly.

PM nuclemon for more info.

Good luck!

-Steve

724956085880 is the seal number to convert from ball joint bushing to axle seal. i originally thought it was cr, but now that i have notes in front of me and see the number, it's a fed mogul number.

So if I take the bushing out (I assume I need to do that to go to disc) and install the seal it'll be basically the same as a post '70 axle housing? I understand that the gears in the third member likely also need changing to accomodate the fine spline axle shafts, but after all that will it work with the older housing?
I'm restoring the truck in Guatemala and getting the parts while I'm in the states this summer and I don't really want to drag a whole axle housing down here (disc brake stuff is alot newer here than at home. Drums are found on mid '90's pickups even!!).

That is what apparently worked for Iggie.

actually, i've never done it...got the seal number from anther cruiser head. i'm still running ball joint. on the third, all you have to do is change out the side gears. the rest can stay. ...that i have done.

So axle shafts, hubs (basically gut the mini axle right down to the housing) ALL from a mini truck should be sufficient to put disc's on a '67 drum axle? Axle lengths are the same etc. etc.?
Obviously seals and that are needed but it's possible to get seals here just not the disc brake parts.

I think your shopping list would be (from the inside out, not counting clips, gaskets & seals):

TLC fine spline side gears
TLC fine spline axle shafts
aftermarket seal to replace bushing
Mini birfs
Mini knuckle, spindle & hub (including fine locking hub from mini)
Brakes (see tech section for detail and options)
If you want to use your TLC tie rod ends, there's different options - look for a thread that talks about using delco starter bushings - Here 'tis:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=38552&highlight=tie+rod+bushing

This is from my shopping list, except I got a later axle housing with seals for my '66. I've got all the pieces, and finally some dry weather, so should be seeing if it all goes together in the next couple of weeks. But beware, this stuff really adds up. My bargain '73 drum axle is looking like it will cost as much as a whole used disc axle - but of course it will be completely reconditioned.

So I need 'Cruiser shafts then is that correct otherwise all mini truck stuff will work? Did all shafts go fine spline at a certain time or only the disc axle? I can probably get axle shafts here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom