Custom speaker pods (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.phipsi.net
Anyone here in replacing the front speakers ever just fabricate a new door enclosure for a larger speaker?

Fiberglass hard to work with?

-Sam-

I lost the link to the co. but if you search the net for "fiber glass speaker enclosers" there's a place in CA that can help you out. I built a fiber glass enclosure for my home theater and painted it with auto paint, came out nice but not cost efective (they can do it cheaper). you will have to help them design.

I'm also interested in a prebuilt subwoofer enclosure for the rear side panel. Don't want a speaker box in my rig. If someone can lead me to a place that builds the fiberglass side enclosure, that would be really cool.

I fiberglassed full enclosures for my doors, which hold 61/2 inch infinity's aimed for sound imaging unlike the stock location. I also fiberglassed and enclosure that resides where the factory sub, if you could it a sub, went. My sub enclosure is now home to dual 12" Pheonix gold tantrums!! I have no lack of bass and only gave up 1/2 inch of cargo area!!!

There is not enough room in the back panel to build a fiberglass enclosure......trust me I know....I fiberglassed an enclosure and the deepest speaker that could fit in it was only 3.2 inches....most 8" subs are close to 4 inches deep....I was trying to fit it behind the panel but no luck......if you remove the panel or cut it you could make something work.

Can we see some pic's of the sub ? It would be awsome if you could make a mold or build one for sale. I'll take one right now, where do I sign up ? I thought about making one my self

PS nice job ! :D

It won't let me attach a pic of my subs!! What am I doing wrong? It let me post the door pod pics! BTW I have plenty of room in that encloseure for dual 12's with ample air space!!

Did you replace the entire back panel? or does the enclosure fit behind it?

O.K. I think I got it, here is the sub enclosure I made. It is a full enclose inside the fender and the fiberglass is at least 3/4" thick aswell!! It is bolted to the body from inside the inclosure to stock nuts welded in the lip under the window. I have gone wheeling many times with this installed and no problems!! True I no longer have the stock panel in place but this looks way more impressive, even if the pic does it no justice!!
sub2.JPG

Thats awesome looking.....I wish I could do that too but my dogs would destroy the speakers if mine were in a similiar spot... Nice quality and fit on that box....Are you an installer, because that work tops all stereo shops around here......NICE JOB

Thanks mook, I appriciate it!! No I'm not an installer, I'm actually a Honda technician, but my real passion is my Toyota's! I understand the concern about the speaker cones, I actually have a sheet of half inch plexiglass that I am going to float about 1/4 inch in front of the subs to protect them from evil forces (kids, pets, etc!!) I have the plex cut I've just been slacking on mounting it!!

How a bout some more pic's?info of your system ? Would you build and sell another finised/un-finished sub box ? :cheers:

The problem with selling the sub enclosure is the cost/ time to make it. I guess if there was an intrest for them and it worked out to be fiscally reasonable I would.
System description -
Head unit - Kenwwod MASK cd player
Amps - Eclipse 75x4 - Pheonix Gold 400x2
Capacitor - 1 farad Street wires
Circuit break and fuse blocks - pheonix gold
Pheonix gold bass cube
2 guage wire from batt to circuit breaker and from there to fuse block, 4 guage from fuse block to amps.
Front speakers 61/2 inch Infinty seperates (reference not Kappa's - the reference sound WAY better, the cones are a warmer sounding material!)
Rear doors - Infinity 61/2 coax
Subs Phenoix Gold Tantrums
All the door speaker wires have been rerun with 12 guage
If I add anything else to the stereo the girlfriend says she will break up with me!! But I'm sure I'll test that here fairly soon!!

I would be VERY interested in another box setup for one 12", or at least a detailed writeup of how to do it! Mine would be very simple too, just flat, one hole, run of the mill. I'm a simplistic person.

I have an amp and 12" MTX sub sitting around waiting to be installed. I was going to try my luck with MDF (all I've ever used for sub boxes before) but that fiberglass is way trick. Is the box sealed, or is it really just a face that bolts to the body?

Sidenote- could I use the feed to the factory sub as the input to my amp? I've only had it installed using preamp outputs before. Never tried the speaker-level inputs.

I'm no audiophile, but at least in home theater application you could do fine just with a single (powered) sub, rather than two subs placed in mirror image as you can't really tell where the low freq. sound is coming from, especially if you place the sub well.

So I imagine if you have a sub on one side and not on the other, that would be OK, too, even in automobiles.

This is the set-up I would be interested in as I don't want to have a big sub box in the back taking up valueble real estate (I guess you can disconnect them if I had to to create space from time to time, but...)

Sorry this isn't much help. :)

EnDLeSS said:
Does it sounds strange when you blast and the sounds only come from right rear?

The sound from only one side with bass is not noticable as bass is non-directional. It doesn't matter where the subs are it all sounds like bass. BTW I could still install my 3rd row of seats if I ever put the bracket on the right back in, I've been slacking on that though.

Endless, I have had the bass up as far as it will go time and time and time again, actually almost every time I drive!! If you stand outside the truck and look down the side you can actually see the side windows flex from the bass, but have no fear of a window breaking. If it did I would call that bragging rights!! I have had other systems with more bass than this and haven't broke glass yet (15" kicker in a celica!!)

Mystic, nice work!

any idea on the volume of that box? and if one were to make a flush one (same profiel as original plastic) any estimate on how much volume it would have? I would probably be plenty happy with one 12 or even a 10" sub

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom