Engine Pinging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anymore thoughts on this fairly well discussed issue:

Did some things to get rid of my engine knock: moved the timing back to factory setting, cleaned TB, ran some Redline Total system cleaner though, tweeked on the TPS and for all intents and purposes got rid of my pinging.

Since it's gotten cold outside, it is back in full force (under light acceleration). I do run 87 octane and have not retarded the timing (beyond the factory recommended 3 degrees BTDC) as of yet. Any thoughts on why the colder weather has affected it? IIRC, pinging (detonation) is typically a result of a lean mix. Seems like with colder air, the mix would be richer.

Anyone else notice this change since it's colder out?

Thanks for any advise/suggestions.

:beer:
Rookie2

When you cleaned the throttle body, did you clean the little finger sized port on the intake plenum (spelling? not the throttle body but the part it connects to) that is for the EGR? I replaced all components to my EGR and still had the pinging until this port got cleaned (and my head work was done). I really beleive the carbon buildup in this port had a lot to do with my light throttle pinging. Others have a lot more experience than I do so see what they say.

Good luck.

Andrew

Last edited:
Rookie2, i am interested in hearing others' suggestions. I have minor engine pinging, never had the head off and haven't cleaned the TB, yet! I run 93 octane though and while running that grade fuel, i have no pinging.

I've always had a "slight" pinging on takeoffs and sudden accels. I'll clean the finger size port as others have suggested. Thanks.

Mine was plugged up solid. When I cleaned the throttle body myself, I never even saw the port as it had so much carbon buildup in and around it. I am told (and I beleive it) that I may have caused this mydelf by running 93 octance gas. Mine does run great on regular now. No pinging even from a stop. I like to run Cheveron regular in it.

Hope it helps.

Andrew

Interesting Andrew. I have asked a couple of times what types gas everyone drives and i get 50/50 regular-premium. But the manual says 87 octane. It would be better on the wallet if i could run regular. I think a good TB cleaning is in my near future.

Andrewsreef said:
Mine was plugged up solid. When I cleaned the throttle body myself, I never even saw the port as it had so much carbon buildup in and around it. I am told (and I beleive it) that I may have caused this mydelf by running 93 octance gas. Mine does run great on regular now. No pinging even from a stop. I like to run Cheveron regular in it.

Hope it helps.

Andrew

Seems like i remember this port having a sheet of carbon that I cleaned of, but isn't the other side of the port blocked off anyways for the non-supercharger versions?

Thanks,
Rookie2

When I saw mine all apart at the shop, the mechanic showed me the carbon filled port. He unclogged it with a dril bit and I am pretty sure it went all the way through. I think I saw a prior post with pics that showed this port in detail.

Thanks

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom