Did a 77 have a carb cooling fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
Ken,
My '78 (w/ a 09/77 pro date) has one.
I think '77 should have one...

They were put on to keep the carbs from boiling gas out.
Better hot starts, less vapor locking.
The increased push to lower emissions led to higher underhood temps.
In '79 they started the cat converter.

Mine has a July 1977 date. Sense I haven't had any problems, I probably don't need it. Was it the same carb and engine before and after they started using the fan?

In general, September was the model year change date. So a 7/77 would be a 77, and a 9/77 would be a 78.

PabloCruise said:
Ken,

More thoughts, a lot of people tore these off. Why? I do not know. Maybe part of a well informed "desmog" effort.

What manual are you saying does not show it for your '77? My 2F engine manula does not show it, but my Haynes manual does!
TJS

The FSM and the Owners Manual. I boughtan owners manual for a 77 from Man-a fre when I bought the 40. Its amazing you can still get them. BUT, it could have been on their originally and just not installed when the rebuilt was complete.

According to Specter, Carb cooling fans showed up 1/76 for CA, and 9/77 for Federal. So, you have a federal setup, Ken.

My 2/76 California Spec 40 has one. It's a vertical fan mounted in the front DS corner of the engine bay, unlike the enclosed fans by the apron louvers that later trucks have.

They may have origianally been introduced with the CA smog equipment.

IDave said:
According to Specter, Carb cooling fans showed up 1/76 for CA, and 9/77 for Federal. So, you have a federal setup, Ken.

Bingo - IDave, you beat the Pimp to a trivia question answer. I guess mine is Federal. It has a "Non Cat" Plate so it was not a California rig.

Just make me think, If you have a fan on your rig, do you really need it. And on the flip side, if you don't have one, how is that limiting you. Hmmmmmmmm!

Me thinks since I don't live in the 120 deg desert that it does not matter one way or the other.

Well,

My 40 is a CA Spec, 12/78 model and has a fan.

It has a thermo reactor/exhaust manifold. This was a standard feature on 76-78 40 Series in California. The carb fan came with the intro of the thermo, as the fan was supposed to help cool the carb and alleviate the hot start problem of boiling all of the fuel out of the carb when the engine was shut down.

I have never been able to make mine work as Mr. Toyota intended, and when I'm in the desert, I do sometimes have issues with hot starts. Most of the time though, my 40 goes from home to work and back, a 10 mile round trip in mild weather, so no issue with hot starts ever comes up.

If anyone has bypassed the OEM sensor and wired their fan to a timer or other pushbutton type setup to start the fan on demand and shut down after a given amount of time, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

-Dog

Romer said:
I guess mine is Federal. It has a "Non Cat" Plate so it was not a California rig.

QUOTE]

This got me wondering. My 12/78 is a CA spec. I also have the non-cat plate under the hood. Anybody know when they started adding cat converters?

if you want to know how much of difference it can make...take the weenie wagon for a spin for about a half an hour, park for fifteen minutes and try to drive two blocks without the engine dieing...
something's hinky (haven't had time to determine if it's the timer, relay, or sensor), so for the meantime, i have it wired to a toggle switch.

I haven't had that problem Ige. Only time it wants to die is when I start it up after sitting a few days in the cold, then add a little choke. Thats normal so I am not concerned.

Weenie wagon? You must ne talking about your 60 with the baby springs.

Believe that cats did not appear until the 79 model year - my 78 FJ55 is the last year w/o. Guess that's the one of the trade offs between 78 and 79 - no cat(s) on the 78 but no OEM power steering or AC until 79. The 78 also had the thermo reactor/manifold as standard equipment for emissions - PO replaced it w/ a stock exhaust manifold

I do have the carb cooling fan which didn't work when I purchase truck. I pulled the fan to oil and clean it then replaced the blown fuse under the dash in the plastic fuse holder and it works like a charm. Have never had a problem starting even mid summer - guess I'm just lucky.

Harry

Mine makes a HUGE difference!

It did not work when I bought my 40.

Took it apart and one small piece of pea gravel had fallen into the squirrel cage and blown the fuse. Found the fuse (5A) replaced it and then the first time I drove it, shut it down, I kept looking around for the big truck idling near me - that is what it sounded like.

But it makes a big diff w/ hot starts. Esp when I used to drive btwn CO and NM...

But if you are fine w/out the fan, why worry?

Robert LaDuke said:
Romer said:
I guess mine is Federal. It has a "Non Cat" Plate so it was not a California rig.

QUOTE]

This got me wondering. My 12/78 is a CA spec. I also have the non-cat plate under the hood. Anybody know when they started adding cat converters?

1979 first year for the cat.

my 77 does'nt have a cooling fan, but I did have vapor lock trouble on days over 100,I bought this new in 77 so it never was a real prob

Marell said:
my 77 does'nt have a cooling fan, but I did have vapor lock trouble on days over 100,I bought this new in 77 so it never was a real prob

That is so cool that you bought this new 27 years ago!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom